djjazzy
Delivery Date: 21 Sep 2013

Re: Spare Tire Mod

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:59 pm

@LeftieBiker
Be sure to get us a picture of your false floor. Can't wait to see how yours came out.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:04 pm

djjazzy wrote:@LeftieBiker
Be sure to get us a picture of your false floor. Can't wait to see how yours came out.
I will, although it may have to wait until next week. Plus I'd like to actually finish it first, with the hinged left side and hopefully *some* kind of anchor...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

djjazzy

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:30 pm

After I made the hinged left panel of my false floor, I realized that if I didn't have that hinged portion, I wouldn't have been able to get the floor into the cargo area. So having that left panel hinged was needed. Also it makes it easy to remove the false floor when necessary to put on that spare tire. Had a close call just today on the freeway travelling at 60 mph, ran over something, :o and it hit somewhere under the car, Thought for sure I was gonna get a flat. Pulled off the freeway to inspect and listen for leaks. Nothing found so I continued to work at 5:30am.
So far no flat, no tire damage.

ttime4four
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2013
Leaf Number: 415842

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:13 pm

I took a look in the trunk area today and it looks like there are some options to secure the wheel / jack.

In the first photo, the black circle is a plug that covers a hole in the floor panel. I suspect this would be to pass wiring. You could remove the plug and fashion a secure point using a plate below and above the hole while using nuts and bolts to sandwich the the plates above and below the opening. This could then a base for a longer bolt that you can run into the wheel lug hole in the spare.

In the next photo, you have the tie down point for the supplied EVSE. This looks to be a secure tie-down point and you can probably "share" this to secure a cable or something to keep the wheel down. Think leash.

In the last photo, this is the cubby on the left. you see a hole already in the inside body panel -- this could yet be another tie down point for a "leash".

Any one of these suggestions could give you the ability to tie down without drilling any holes or making the leasing people angry.

Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer and haven't calculated if these points are strong enough for the potential forces. But it should be better than nothing.

LeftieBiker

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:58 pm

I think we have a winner with that rubber plug. A spare tire hold-down "J bolt" should go through a hole in that. Failing that, a carriage bolt can be run through it to a steel flat strap with one or more holes in it, all mounted through the plug hole. It may also be possible to run that "leash" along the floor from the EVSE bag hook on the right to the hole where the jack should be, joining them at the J bolt or carriage bolt. So far, so good. Thanks for the photos!
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

djjazzy

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:19 am

ttime4four wrote:
In the first photo, the black circle is a plug that covers a hole in the floor panel. I suspect this would be to pass wiring. You could remove the plug and fashion a secure point using a plate below and above the hole while using nuts and bolts to sandwich the the plates above and below the opening. This could then a base for a longer bolt that you can run into the wheel lug hole in the spare.

I gonna look into using that hole some how as a main anchor point for a base plate. Base plate will then have a couple bolts that go through the lug holes of the spare tire.
Secure spare to those bolts with wing nuts. 8-) That will should hold down the tire fairly well. As for the jack & lug wrench, I'll see if I can store it in the left rear cubby.

djjazzy

Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:52 pm

After lifting off the original bottom cargo liner, I removed the plug.

Here is the area where I locate my spare under the false cargo floor I built. I don't center the tire, to give me storage space for the EVSE which I take out daily using that hinged panel. The spare tire lightening holes line up
perfectly with that OEM plugged hole.

Look here from the top looking down

Need ideas on how best to secure the spare tire using that existing OEM hole, along with the spare tire lightening hole. There's got to be a reason why that OEM hole lines up perfectly with the spare tire lightening hole.
Last edited by djjazzy on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftieBiker

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Well, no, it could be coincidence. It could also be that the hole is there not for wiring, but for a J bolt for a spare tire. The J bolt would put a lot of stress on a small area, though, so I suggest the carriage bolt and piece of rigid steel strap. I also suggest you use the rubber plug, with the bolt running through a hole in that. You'd end up with an inverted "T", with the strap forming the horizontal section and the bolt, (running through the plug) the vertical. Then a large wing nut and washer could be used to hold the spare to the bolt.
BAFX OBDII Dongle

djjazzy

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:13 pm

ttime4four wrote: remove the plug and fashion a secure point using a plate below and above the hole while using nuts and bolts to sandwich the the plates above and below the opening. This could then a base for a longer bolt that you can run into the wheel lug hole in the spare.
I may be able to use a carriage bolt with a 6" square plate on the bottom side, sandwiched to the upper side also with a plate with a lock nut and washer, then have the remainder of the existing carriage bolt to go through the spare tire lightening hole ( which lines up perfectly center with the OEM hole ) Then secure that down with a custom 3" diameter plate ( ie large washer ) and wing nut.

djjazzy

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Finally decided on the mounting hardware for the jack and tire.
Just made some modifications, and moved up to a larger single bolt
to hold the tire in place. Leashed the jack to the original EVSE cargo tie down bracket.

Here are some pics:

Removed the cargo liner and plug

Attached a cable leash for the jack to the EVSE tie down bracket

Last edited by djjazzy on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”