Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Re: Bike Rack

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Electric4Me wrote:
Volusiano wrote:U-Haul made good of their promise for a free hitch if I left the car with them for 3 days so they can use it as a model to design a hitch for it. I had it installed today for free. The hitch looks similar to the pic Phil posted of his hitch, except that it also has 2 diagonal bars from near the middle of the main cross bar back to the left and right rear with additional plates (hope I'm using the right term here) to bolt onto the frame, I guess for added support.
Pictures! :lol:
Is it a 1-1/4" or 2"?
Sorry, wished I had brought a camera when the hitch was still out before installation. If I took a picture now, it'd just look the same as any other pics already posted because all you can see is the receiver (1.25"). It took them about 1.5 hours to install. I did get a chance to see the hitch close up before installation and it looks very well constructed. I must say I was a little surprise to see the diagonal bars for added support. But if they want to design them in for extra safety, I'm not complaining.

Electric4Me
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Re: QUICK RELEASE HITCH for Bike Racks, etc.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Electric4Me wrote:
Christopher wrote:
blorg wrote:Well, come on then, where are the bloody pictures! I want to see.)
I've got pictures of the gathering plus a video of Bill demoing his bike hitch on my web site:
http://crimdom.net/photos/2011/bay-leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... index.html
Thanks for posting those! In this case a video is worth a thousand pictures! :D
For anyone who's interested, I've moved my post to a new thread.
Last edited by Electric4Me on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

muus
Delivery Date: 16 Jun 2014

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:36 pm

I'd order one of these in a heart beat if I had a Leaf. Similar price as the Torlift Central receiver yet much better. You should advertise this under "Marketplace" or at least start a new thread as I don't consider this a "bike rack", it is actually a receiver which allows the use of ballmounts, bike racks, cargo carriers etc.
2014 Leaf SL (Gun Metal Grey)
Upgraded Panasonic EVSE (20A)
JuiceBox bought from Kickstarter
23 months 50,000 KMs
Leaf Spy Pro: 62Ahr (up from a low of 50Ahr)

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:42 pm

I can say this is my second most favorite mod/addition to my leaf, behind the seat heaters. Electric4Me has a fantastic product here. Pictured with my wife's very heavy cruiser on the bike rack.

Edit: make that my third favorite...EVSE Upgrade, Seat Heaters, Receiver hitch for my bike rack.

Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

Electric4Me

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:48 pm

muus wrote:I'd order one of these in a heart beat if I had a Leaf. Similar price as the Torlift Central receiver yet much better. You should advertise this under "Marketplace" or at least start a new thread as I don't consider this a "bike rack", it is actually a receiver which allows the use of ballmounts, bike racks, cargo carriers etc.
Haha... You're right, I should start a new thread!
palmermd wrote:I can say this is my second most favorite mod/addition to my leaf, behind the seat heaters. Electric4Me has a fantastic product here. Pictured with my wife's very heavy cruiser on the bike rack.

Edit: make that my third favorite...EVSE Upgrade, Seat Heaters, Receiver hitch for my bike rack.
Thanks Michael! Looks good! I've made a few improvements that I'm happy about since your version too!
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

linkim

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Electric4Me wrote:
muus wrote:I'd order one of these in a heart beat if I had a Leaf. Similar price as the Torlift Central receiver yet much better. You should advertise this under "Marketplace" or at least start a new thread as I don't consider this a "bike rack", it is actually a receiver which allows the use of ballmounts, bike racks, cargo carriers etc.
palmermd wrote:I can say this is my second most favorite mod/addition to my leaf, behind the seat heaters. Electric4Me has a fantastic product here. Pictured with my wife's very heavy cruiser on the bike rack.

If you attend the BayLEAF meeting this Saturday, Feb. 11, Electric4Me will demo the installation of the receiver hitch on my LEAF at about 8AM. The latest version has some improvements over the earlier one installed in his LEAF. You can watch while having some refreshments.

Meeting Location:
Silver Spring Networks
555 Broadway St
Redwood City, California

Hope to see some local BayLEAFers there for the meeting that starts at 9AM chaired by gascant.
LEAF SL + QC
Reserved: 4/20/10
Received: April 19, 1 year after reservation

amtoro
Delivery Date: 05 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5972

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:17 pm

linkim wrote:
Electric4Me wrote:

If you attend the BayLEAF meeting this Saturday, Feb. 11, Electric4Me will demo the installation of the receiver hitch on my LEAF at about 8AM. The latest version has some improvements over the earlier one installed in his LEAF. You can watch while having some refreshments.

Meeting Location:
Silver Spring Networks
555 Broadway St
Redwood City, California

Hope to see some local BayLEAFers there for the meeting that starts at 9AM chaired by gascant.
Can any of you record a video and also show it from underneath?
---
2012 Nissan LEAF SL - Brilliant Silver
Delivery: Dec-5/11
Mods: Horn, XPEL paint protection film, AEGIS window film and VSP-off switch

batzman
Delivery Date: 26 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 6340

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:29 pm

[/quote]

Can any of you record a video and also show it from underneath?[/quote]

+1
2012 Leaf Brilliant Silver SL
Member 100 mile club & 200 km club
Schneider Electric L2 EVSE 30A charger
9.45 kW PV Solar System

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 pm

not exactly what you were asking for, but here is a video...and pictures from underneath.

http://crimdom.net/photos/2011/bay-leaf ... -demo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tinyurl.com/3pd6n44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

Electric4Me

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 am

I've created a new thread in the FS section. It includes the (nearly complete) updated installation instructions.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7829

Cheers, Bill
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

Return to “Accessories / Mods”