Aftermarket fog lights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sulfate125

I have a 2013 leaf S and am thinking about adding aftermarket for lights. Has anyone done this? This one claims to be compatible with the 2014 leaf. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Halo-Fog-Lamp-Angel-Eye-Driving-Light-Kit-Set-Pair-S-SL-SV-2014-2015-Nissan-Leaf-/321443956086?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad78d8576&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is the body different?
I would appreciate any suggestions on aftermarket lights.

I have just bought a set of these so I will let you know how they are when I get a chance to fit them :D

Just in case you actually want lights that help you see in fog: white or blue lights are worthless or even worse than worthless, because the fog reflects the light right back at you. You need yellow-amber lights to actually improve visibility in fog, especially heavy fog.

Well I have just received these and as suspected it is not a made to fit a Leaf and is just a cheap set of universal lights so I would avoid them unless you really fancy a lot of adapting and making bits to fit them, it really pees me off that these companies claim that the parts are designed to fit specific models when they obviously are not.

Ian, thanks for posting the followup. I looked at those lights and thought they looked good, you just saved me from making the same mistake!

Yes, thanks for verifying these lights aren't an OEM replacement, I've looked at these before, but had a feeling they wouldn't work (yet they went out of their way to put a LEAF in the pic).

I would probably go with the BMW X5 retrofits if you don't mind 'hacking' the enclosure, or the Type S, both available via The Retrofit Source, with the 2nd option looking like a plug & play replacement. Check my post history, you'll see some discussions about these lights.

I went the BMW X5 route. It's a bit of work but I love the outcome.
20140520_213246.jpg

DSC_0839r.jpg

Those BMW X-5 fog lights really are the best looking fogs IMO. I'm still considering getting a set, but need to figure out how effective they are as actual fog lights (do the LEAF fogs suck because of position/angle, or is it a bulb/lens issue, etc), since I already have DLRs now.

lion said:
Those BMW X-5 fog lights really are the best looking fogs IMO. I'm still considering getting a set, but need to figure out how effective they are as actual fog lights (do the LEAF fogs suck because of position/angle, or is it a bulb/lens issue, etc), since I already have DLRs now.

If you want them for actual fog, a lower color temperature is more effective at cutting fog. You would want 3000K or under, while most LED fog lights are 5000+K.

I hated the looks of those covers, got a cheap set of 3" universal fog lights for $30. The end results works for me!

Hoping you're still around. Did you have to wire it in to the dash auxilary power or is it pre wired and easy to add on?

06D said:
I hated the looks of those covers, got a cheap set of 3" universal fog lights for $30. The end results works for me!

I have the same question re: wiring fog lights into the LEAF S. I just got a 2015. I also don't know if it has daytime running lights, and thought maybe the fog light location could workaround lack of running lights.

I have a 2013 "S" model that I put aftermarket LED fog lights in. There was no bracket kit for the foglight ports. So I had to make my own using a 3d printer. I have posted the install process (and files) if you want to print a set. If you don't have a printer, I can print a set or you can use a service such as Shapeways. Posting is the Feb 2017 post at plasticnerd.blogspot.com. Let me know if that helps.

In Europe Leaf has OEM DRL-s inside fog lights (there are two bulbs that use two different reflectors).
It looks like that:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-ASX-OUTLANDER-NISSAN-LEAF-IMPREZA-NEW-FRONT-FOG-LIGHT-LAMPS-DRL-L-R-/301855495383?nma=true&si=ScB3sBYV5YPE8WW1%252BALT6DrQVbQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I don't know about newer models, but if I set my headlights to Auto, and turn my "fog" lightswitch to on, and Leave it that way,

This gives me my low beams and fogs on whenever I turn the car on.
I have had it set that way since the day I bought the car.

Great DRL's and it looks nice with the LED Headlights and Upgraded Hi Power CREE Led's in the Fog Lights.

Yes, the color of the Fog lights is important, but getting those LOW (Fog) lights on WITHOUT the headlights on is just as important to cut down on the fog reflection.

If you are adding Fog lights, make sure you add a switch for Fog Lights Only.

You can get the LED's in Yellow but that looks too French for me.
(I'd rather die in the fiery fog-induced crash than have my leaf look French :roll: )

sorry...... go france

You can get the LED's in Yellow but that looks too French for me.
(I'd rather die in the fiery fog-induced crash than have my leaf look French :roll: )

I come from an era where they just looked "European" and that wasn't a bad thing. I put a set of nice yellow-amber ones on my Grandfather's Valiant, and they worked great. When I got the car from him, I remember using just the fog lights and parking lights (for taillights - critically important!) in a couple of bad snowstorms...

Back