mbender
Delivery Date: 31 Aug 2014
Leaf Number: 309606

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased rang

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Boy, if this turns out to be even "only" 10%, Nissan's face should be red. 20, and they should hide it!
I think I just felt my paradigm shift.

2012 SL (One of the colors): 2-year lease, 2012+,
2015 S w/QC (A different color): 3-year lease, 2014+,
2017 SV (Same color as 2015 S): 3-year lease, 2017+, lower monthly than either above(!)

Slow1
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 425010

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:58 pm

So, are the mud flaps just for show or will we end up tossing a lot of mud and creating a mess and/or hazard by trying this?
2013 S with 6kw upgrade (Black)
MFD Date 12/13

DesertSprings
Delivery Date: 21 Dec 2014
Leaf Number: 319100

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Slow1 wrote:So, are the mud flaps just for show or will we end up tossing a lot of mud and creating a mess and/or hazard by trying this?
They are an option. Their primary purpose is to keep the wheels from throwing debris back onto the car and messing up the paint. I'd say the front ones do a poor job of that as they don't stick out enough, no idea how effective the back ones are. I've never gotten so much dirt and mud clearly thrown up from the front tires onto the side of my car, from any other car I've owned with front mudflaps. Clearly Nissan compromised for aerodynamics and/or styling.

So it is a trade off, risk more debris being thrown onto the side/undercarriage of the car for improved aerodynamics.

Bob
Delivery Date: 30 May 2013

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:37 pm

lorenfb wrote:...Remember there are basically two components to energy loss:

Energy Loss = Rolling Resistance Loss + Drag Resistance Loss...
You're ignoring electrical losses in the drive electronics + motor and the mechanical losses in the gearbox.

Bob

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Bob wrote:
lorenfb wrote:...Remember there are basically two components to energy loss:

Energy Loss = Rolling Resistance Loss + Drag Resistance Loss...
You're ignoring electrical losses in the drive electronics + motor and the mechanical losses in the gearbox.

Bob
Yes, but those are very minor compared to the two major ones listed. It's not like an ICE vehicle where the
ICE component of inefficiency is very significant and as is its the trans/diff. An EV's drive-train efficiency
should be above 90%. The Leaf with its PM motor versus Tesla with its AC induction motor is even more efficient.
As 45-50 mph my Leaf is using about 15kW or about 20 HP. If one calculates the rolling/drag losses
at that speed range, most all the losses are attributable to those two factors.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 76K miles, 47 Ahrs, 5.0 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=73, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 10.3K miles, SOH 109Ahrs/115Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:44 pm

lorenfb wrote:
Bob wrote:
lorenfb wrote:Energy Loss = Rolling Resistance Loss + Drag Resistance Loss...
Yes, but those are very minor compared to the two major ones listed.
True, and another thing is that the average Leaf owner isn't going to be able to do much about electronics and motors..
But mudflaps are something that the owner could tweak. ;-)

It will be interesting to see if this pays off.

desiv
2012 Leaf SL - Silver (gone - traded in)
2017 Bolt LT - Red

DaveEV

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:23 am

Slow1 wrote:So there were two things done - one was the mud flaps and the other blocking off the grill? Mudflaps seem to be a significant commitment - perhaps just dong the grill would make a difference and is worth trying. That seems to be a (reversible) change that even simple folks like myself could do....
The results here seem too good to believe, but easy to try so I whipped up a quick chloroplast grill block using an old yard sign and some zip ties. Probably not quite as effective as Brenthasty's because I left the grill block flush with the mesh grill and it doesn't quite cover as much grill (the gaps are more even than the pic looks as I didn't take the pic head on - my license plate is already mounted like his in front the grill), but I should be able to tell if there's a noticeable difference after a few days of driving. If not, I'll make my grill flush with the bumper and check again.

lkkms2
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 302025

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:42 am

Brenthasty wrote:Well the results are in, almost a full 1 mile more per KWH in my Nissan Leaf. Up from an average of 3.9 to 4.8 M/Kwh.

This was achieved by deleting the mud flaps, flipping the mudflaps from side to side and reattaching them in front of the wheels to aeromod and deflect the wind off the cheek of the tires. Along with a partial grille block and licence plate relocation. We placed the licence over the inlet left in the aerodynamic grill block, this serves to shed the wind more cleanly and block direct entrance of particles, bugs, rain ect directly into the grill and radiators. We run the tires at full sidewall pressure 45psi.

These simple improvements to the aerodynamics of the nissan leaf have added 20% in efficiency and range!
[youtube][/youtube]
Yes, pls update your location in your profile under User Control Panel.

Also, could you share what tires you are using and how many miles you have driven on them/current tread thickness vs original.

P.s. I don't have mud flaps on my car.
2011 Leaf SL purchased 6-22-2011, sold 1-18-2017 with new battery.
2017 Leaf SV with Premium Package purchased 12-30-2016

Brenthasty
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2014
Leaf Number: 023724

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:15 am

Stock tires, 15,000 miles, tread depth one half wore out

Brenthasty
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2014
Leaf Number: 023724

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:24 am

drees wrote:
Slow1 wrote:So there were two things done - one was the mud flaps and the other blocking off the grill? Mudflaps seem to be a significant commitment - perhaps just dong the grill would make a difference and is worth trying. That seems to be a (reversible) change that even simple folks like myself could do....
The results here seem too good to believe, but easy to try so I whipped up a quick chloroplast grill block using an old yard sign and some zip ties. Probably not quite as effective as Brenthasty's because I left the grill block flush with the mesh grill and it doesn't quite cover as much grill (the gaps are more even than the pic looks as I didn't take the pic head on - my license plate is already mounted like his in front the grill), but I should be able to tell if there's a noticeable difference after a few days of driving. If not, I'll make my grill flush with the bumper and check again.

My grill block is made from shaved 2" foam and fills the grill space to flush with the bumper face, a bit smoother than the thin chloroplast.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”