Vehicle to Home (V2H) device from Setec Power

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russellv

There was a thread on this already in Battery and Charging, but wanted to post in accessories too.

I bought a V2H device from Setec Power in China that allows for bi-directional charging to pull energy from the LEAF through the CHAdeMO port. I testing it out and it works. Somehow I managed to order two of these devices and now have an extra one. Willing to re-sell mine if anyone else wants to tinker.

You can find more information about the device and manufacturer here.
http://www.setec-power.com/china/vehicle-to-home-v2h

Dimensions - 478.8(W)×375.5(H)×200(D)mm

Message me if you want more info.

I see it say 1 to 3 kw of power. What does it supply to the car, the same 3 kw via chadmo port? How does it decide how much power to push back out to the grid or is it really just a big inverter with an outlet on it? Basically is it grid tie and can back feed? If so how does it know when to push power back out?

How much does the Setec V2H cost? Were you able to sell it? I have looked at it, but haven't seen a price. I keep thinking that nissan USA will release a V2H solution, but haven't seen one of those, yet, either.

Have you gotten use out of your Setec V2H device, russellv? The website is thin on details -- what is the rated power output and can you switch between 120V and 240V or is it fixed? Finally, would you share the delivered price? I'll contact Setec directly, too, though it would be helpful to have a user report.

We've had a lot more power outages than usual in my neighborhood this year and I'm trying to figure out how to keep a few essential things running. The Leaf's battery seems like a great option for the relatively low-draw things I have in mind.

Thanks

I'm also interested in the V2H unit, I've also been struggling to find a purchase price. Where did you buy it from? Would you recommend it? Is the output pure sinewave AC?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Anyone enquire about price of the unit?

That's the only number that matters. Is it a product for us commoners or a toy for rich people?

Apparently 2700 euros for the 3kW version? Yikes! You can get a 1500W EV Extend kit for less than a 10th of the price...
https://www.evextend.com/Nissan-Leaf-Inverter-Kit-2018-2021.php

Or a 6kW split phase inverter with 18kW surge and battery backup system for about the same price...
https://www.evextend.com/240V-Backup-Power-System.php

Those units aren't the same - it's an apples vs oranges comparison. There are loads of inverters that convert 12V/24V/36V/48V DC to 240V split phase AC but very few units that plug directly into the CHAdeMO port on the front of the Leaf and use the battery pack in the car directly. If I really needed one, I'm sure one of the 12V etc units could be made to work but honestly at that point, I'd probably just buy a propane generator. The concept of using the traction battery of a Leaf as a Tesla Power Wall type unit is intriguing but as you noticed, the cost is still quite high.

Just received updated pricing from Setec:
The EXW price of 6kva V2H,
it is at USD $2800/pcs.
The shipping cost to door (San Diego, CA) at USD$680

Mr. Paul Lin
Regional Key Account Manager
Mobile: +86-1392 5204306
Email: [email protected]
SHENZHEN SETEC POWER CO., LTD
Add: #199, Setec Industrial Park, Dakan, Xili Town, Nanshan District, Shenzhen,518055, China
Web: www.setec-power.com

mcain said:
Just received updated pricing from Setec:
The EXW price of 6kva V2H,
it is at USD $2800/pcs.
The shipping cost to door (San Diego, CA) at USD$680

Mr. Paul Lin
Regional Key Account Manager
Mobile: +86-1392 5204306
Email: [email protected]
SHENZHEN SETEC POWER CO., LTD
Add: #199, Setec Industrial Park, Dakan, Xili Town, Nanshan District, Shenzhen,518055, China
Web: www.setec-power.com
That puts it into the realm of pricing that my friends and family are looking for (under $3k seems to be the magic number for them), though the shipping cost puts it over, but maybe if I can get enough people together to buy at once, it can lower the shipping cost down significantly. :?:

Still, the 6 kW version doesn't do split phase 240V (based on their website description).

So, grid tying this would be limited to a single 120V phase, correct? If so, it's not really viable for North Americans that want emergency backup power, or for those who want to take advantage of time of use rates to power their house off of their EV during peak periods...

I could see this being useful for someone who wants to run a small business offering EV "rescue" charging services, as at a 6 kW rate one could pretty quickly add 5 - 10 miles of range, enough to get a stranded EV owner to the nearest public charging station. In a city with a lot of EVs, this could be a viable small business opportunity. I think $150 per rescue, with up to 30 minutes of free charging included, would be reasonable. Pretty low barrier to entry and a nice fat profit margin!

I agree that the unit is likely users adjustable output, 100-260 vac and 50 or 60 Hz So you "could" set it for 240vac and use a center tap transformer to make it standard 120/240vac US power, but that would be adding to what you get and not something most people could do themselves.

Although setting it for 240vac and using an AVSE to push some power in to stranded EV's is a neat idea, but not a small portable device for this.

I saw yet another tow charge vid, interesting, but could be dangerous. Towed 3 miles for 24 miles of range...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6docCEHOqc

I should post up my rescue video of ICE drivers with my Leaf using a tow-dolly. So far, rescued (2) pickup trucks (Ford F150, Toyota SR5) and (2) cars (Buick LeSabre, Volkswagen Jetta) over the years. :D

Back