Spare Tire and Rim Accessory

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Has anybody asked a dealer for the price of a "spare" rim and mounted tire that one might want to take on with them on a "remote" trip?

If it is used, would the lack of a tire pressure keep the LEAF from operating properly in any way?

Can the LEAF be set to watch a 5th pressure sensor, or only four sensors?

Does the tire need to be rotating for the sensor to be "active"?

Not considered that. But I am going to start carrying a tire plug kit in my trunk, over using the "spare in a can". Assuming, that is, it's an object through the tread area that can be repaired temporarily with a plug. I've used them before (even more or less, ahem, permanently) with great success. :D The it's just a matter of getting AAA to come and supply some air, although I suppose I could also buy a 12v tire inflator.

I haven't checked, but the salesman told me that there is a 12 Volt air compressor and a can of gunk in the storage compartment on left side of trunk. He says that you screw the cylinder of gunk into the compressor, and the compressor injects it into the tire. If true, what a horrible way to do it; the gunk would probably plug up the compressor.

Gary, the OM says that the car must be traveling 16 mph for sensor to work.

Somewhere or other, we've heard that the gunk will ruin the sensor, so a flat will be a costly affair. A real spare would be better, but it'd eat up the whole trunk area.

-Karl

Really, if it's just a nail or screw in the tread area, jamb a plug in it and blow it back up. If the puncture is in the shoulder or sidewall you're looking at a new tire.

1. No phone coverage
2. No assistance in the state
3. Only assistance is a flatbed 300 miles away
4. assistance wants to know what a "leaf" is
5. assistance will take 18 hours

smkettner said:
Just call the included road side assistance and have them bring you a tire when needed.
Otherwise leave the space for luggage.
You mean ... bring you a spare tire+wheel ? Or how were you planning on mounting the tire onto the wheel ?

I'm looking at a flat on the Leaf as one of two things:

A) Rubber plug, either an internal "mushroom" Plug&Go, or an old-school rubber rope and cement. That would be the nail or clean hole. Quicker to just plug and inflate than wait for a tow.

B) AAA tow to Discount Tire. Have an internal patch installed or a new tire if it's really damaged.

I'll never use the can of gunk. Tire shops hate those, and they ruin the valve/sensor.
The Leaf will never be more than 50 miles from home anyway.

LEAFer said:
smkettner said:
Just call the included road side assistance and have them bring you a tire when needed.
Otherwise leave the space for luggage.
You mean ... bring you a spare tire+wheel ? Or how were you planning on mounting the tire onto the wheel ?
There are mobile tire machines in my area but the truck will probably just haul the Leaf to the closest tire store.
The included roadside service will know what is best and is good for three years... yes?
After the three years I will simply offer cash as needed. In the past 30 years my towing bill has been a grand total of $85.

garygid said:
1. No phone coverage
2. No assistance in the state
3. Only assistance is a flatbed 300 miles away
4. assistance wants to know what a "leaf" is
5. assistance will take 18 hours

You're driving the wrong car for the job. Flatbed is 300 miles away? Definitely, you are driving the wrong car for the job. You don't hit a nail with a screwdriver. Well I guess you could, probably to the same effect of using a LEAF for your trip described above.

I did search some wheel websites and found nothing available for Leaf.
I could see having an optional donut spare and mounting bracket if that really set your mind at ease.
And I think there is a couple years to get that done.

mwalsh said:
Not considered that. But I am going to start carrying a tire plug kit in my trunk, over using the "spare in a can". Assuming, that is, it's an object through the tread area that can be repaired temporarily with a plug. I've used them before (even more or less, ahem, permanently) with great success. :D The it's just a matter of getting AAA to come and supply some air, although I suppose I could also buy a 12v tire inflator.
+6 for permanent plugs!

There's nothing on the planet that cannot be destroyed by overthinking. :D

It looks like there will be LEAF owners who switch out their original tires and wheels for something more custom. If you are in California and looking to sell, I would be interested in purchasing a tire/wheel. PM me!

So post here anyone who has tires/wheels to sell and those who would want to buy one.

Back