Ham Radio Install Leaf 2018 - 2021

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RFLeafRunner

Hello all, looking to install a ham radio in the leaf. For the past 3 years i have been running my radio of mag mounts and 12v accessory plug in the dash. I think its time to migrate into the wiring and go direct to the battery. I have been reading up on previous posts but most are old even back to 2011 so figured i would get a new one going with the current model.

51281924928_60c0e867a9_m.jpg

51282480314_e01ce6a5b3_b.jpg

More to follow as install proceeds

Finding power should be easy enough. Finding space could be dicey.

I look forward to developments. With a worm on my tongue (you know, "baited" breath?).

Reviving this thread, searched for similar topic ("accessory power") but didn't see anything obvious.

I want to power my Ham mobile radio from inside my 2019 LEAF. Draws too many amps for the cigarette lighter outlet so want to run power directly from the battery to the cabin. Can't see any obvious/easy-to-get-at through-holes in the firewall and not sure if another accessory could be tapped into--perhaps the seat heating element but don't know what amperage fuse that uses (and probably wouldn't be able to have a warm butt and use the radio at the same time without blowing the fuse).

Any thoughts or experience? As a temporary solution I ran a single hot wire from the battery out the back of the hood/bonnet into the front door frame, and grounded from inside, which worked ok but looks dumb and there's the risk of breaking/shorting the wire from the door pinching it...

Reviving this thread, searched for similar topic ("accessory power") but didn't see anything obvious.

I want to power my Ham mobile radio from inside my 2019 LEAF. Draws too many amps for the cigarette lighter outlet so want to run power directly from the battery to the cabin. Can't see any obvious/easy-to-get-at through-holes in the firewall and not sure if another accessory could be tapped into--perhaps the seat heating element but don't know what amperage fuse that uses (and probably wouldn't be able to have a warm butt and use the radio at the same time without blowing the fuse).

Any thoughts or experience? As a temporary solution I ran a single hot wire from the battery out the back of the hood/bonnet into the front door frame, and grounded from inside, which worked ok but looks dumb and there's the risk of breaking/shorting the wire from the door pinching it...
Generally, I think manufacturers recommend running a heavy conductor directly to the battery or a battery relay. I know it's cramped in there, but can't you find a small spot to drill a hole in the firewall and install a grommet for the wire? Alternately, remove the plastic covers and route the wire under the car and then up through the floorboard. Now, where to put the radio and not bash your knees?

Power: When there isn't a manageable way through the firewall, I like to use a fuse tap.

Mounting: It turns out that in the 2019 LEAF a 2x4 with a little padding fits securely into the pocket under the power switch. Here are a couple of pictures of an IC-2800 attached to the end of a 6-8" 2x4.

Attachments

• IC-2800_in_2019_LEAF-1.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IC-2800_in_2019_LEAF-2.jpeg
    IC-2800_in_2019_LEAF-2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Looks good. Now where did you mount your antenna? The lip mount I used on my 2015 might not work on my 2022 as the lip on the hatch seems to be plastic now. On the 2015 I could run the dual bander off of the lighter socket with no problem, but I normally only ran 25 watts output.

Thanks all. Leary about drilling a hole through the firewall--would have to dismantle much of the dash to be sure I wasn't drilling into something important and to fish the wire through. Don't know why, other than a tiny cost, Nissan didn't add a plugged through-hole for accessory wiring, but haven't found one yet.

Tried fishing a stiff wire though the grommets next to the door hinge mounts, couldn't get it into the cabin. Argh.

Will look at routing a wire under the car and up through the floorboard, thx w7gz (ki6dog here).

So much easier with our Prius and its battery under the rear hatch area...

I mounted my Yaesu FTM-300 head unit on the dash with velcro, works fine. And a magmount antenna on the roof works fine too.

Looks good. Now where did you mount your antenna? The lip mount I used on my 2015 might not work on my 2022 as the lip on the hatch seems to be plastic now. On the 2015 I could run the dual bander off of the lighter socket with no problem, but I normally only ran 25 watts output.
Like you, the lip mount wouldn't work so I'm using a good Larsen mag mount. The coax runs around the side of the back hatch and up into the trunk area at the bottom to avoid leaks. It isn't perfect, but it works pretty well.

Back