17” ZE1 alloys on ZE0.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebrick

I am contemplating to fresh up the look of my ‘14 SV with a set of oem 17” (two tone 5 spoke) from a ZE1. I’ve looked everywhere on the internet to see if anyone has done the swap…but no luck. Could anyone be able to photoshop those wheels on a white ZE0 image? :D

Are you worried about m/kWh...or even an accurate speedometer?
I assume you have a 24 kWh pack, so I would think you'd be somewhat concerned with efficiency.

Stanton said:
I assume you have a 24 kWh pack, so I would think you'd be somewhat concerned with efficiency.

Thank you for the reply. I am new to LEAF and please educate me if I am off base!

Yes, I do worry about the m/kWh and odo/speedometer accuracy. For those reasons, I am only looking at the OEM LEAF 17" wheels to replace the original 16" set up on my SV. As far as I can tell, the only difference between 17" alloys for ZE0 and ZE1 is the 1mm offset difference...which, I assume, is negligible. What I do not know is if 16" wheel set up provides better m/kWh than the 17"s. I am sure this has been discussed here previously, but if I will sacrifice efficiency for going with the 17" wheels, I would be hesitant to make the switch. Yes, I do have 24 kWh pack and it has been babied.

Firebrick said:
Stanton said:
Thank you for the reply. I am new to LEAF and please educate me if I am off base!

Yes, I do worry about the m/kWh and odo/speedometer accuracy. For those reasons, I am only looking at the OEM LEAF 17" wheels to replace the original 16" set up on my SV. As far as I can tell, the only difference between 17" alloys for ZE0 and ZE1 is the 1mm offset difference...which, I assume, is negligible. What I do not know is if 16" wheel set up provides better m/kWh than the 17"s. I am sure this has been discussed here previously, but if I will sacrifice efficiency for going with the 17" wheels, I would be hesitant to make the switch. Yes, I do have 24 kWh pack and it has been babied.
1 mm doesn't sound like much...until you multiply it by thousands and thousands of revolutions.
You can probably find plenty of threads on the topic, but larger wheels (at least on an EV) create unintended (negative) consequences (heavier, etc.).

Stanton said:
Firebrick said:
Stanton said:

1 mm doesn't sound like much...until you multiply it by thousands and thousands of revolutions.
You can probably find plenty of threads on the topic, but larger wheels (at least on an EV) create unintended (negative) consequences (heavier, etc.).

"Multiply by thousands..." that's a fair point. And the weight gain from wheels is another concern as you noted. From my quick googling, OEM 16" alloy wheels weigh 8 lbs lighter than the 17" counterpart...that's 32 lbs difference in total weight difference! Do you know what the estimated m/kWh loss here, in real life driving in town without highway?

We have a Leaf Plus S with 16" and a Leaf Plus SV+ with 17" wheels.

Before moving our S+ to even lighter wheels, the S+ would do about 4.1 miles/kWh at 70mph (no AC) and the SV+ about 3.4-3.5 miles/kWh again no AC/heat.

The wheels are a pretty big difference.

Back