RLC
Delivery Date: 07 May 2012
Leaf Number: 016060

Re: HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:50 am

So no one knows how to hook up the factory switch so that the LED lights properly?
- Sean

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:50 am

You folks should be glad you aren't driving a Prius with a stubborn primary driver who won't get the settings changed. Imagine the VSP *inside the car*, beeping away *at you* while you are reversing, instead of warning those outside the car...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

iluvmacs
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 411121

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:57 am

LeftieBiker wrote:You folks should be glad you aren't driving a Prius with a stubborn primary driver who won't get the settings changed. Imagine the VSP *inside the car*, beeping away *at you* while you are reversing, instead of warning those outside the car...
Yeah, I never understood the interior reverse beep in the Prius. First thing I did when I got my '06 Prius was to disable it. At least they made that accessible.
Delivered 6/22/13: 2013 SV+LED/QC+Prem, Blue Ocean
Loved 12/20/11-6/22/13: 2012 SL #15733 (orphan), Blue Ocean, lifetime 4.8 mi/kWh (11,356 mi). First Leaf in Wisconsin!
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, red

Wisconsin Leaf/EV owner? Join our group!

EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:22 am

LeftieBiker wrote:You folks should be glad you aren't driving a Prius with a stubborn primary driver who won't get the settings changed. Imagine the VSP *inside the car*, beeping away *at you* while you are reversing, instead of warning those outside the car...
I HATED that about the Prius. I never got it turned off because I never went back to dealer for anything, but I should have.

The reverse beep on the Leaf is simply embarrassing. I have no issue with the forward sound. Disabling it looks like a massive unnecessary hassle, though, if I go by first post.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:09 pm

I like the blind person warning but hate the reverse beep. I just used a normally closed relay connected to the backup light to open the speaker.

I had a guest here last weekend and I was surprised how bad the Leaf back up beep is. I have not heard it for over a year.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

raja33
Delivery Date: 01 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 400222

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:33 pm

Ingineer wrote:
raja33 wrote:Is there a simple way to cut the wire to the VSP speaker. I understand that it would disable charging and other beeps - I am of the opinion the fewer noises the better.

I looked under the hood and couldn't spot the speaker in the vicinity of the left front bumper.

My vehicle is leased, so I would like to reconnect the cut wire when I return the vehicle to Nissan
Just unplug the connector to the VSP. This would be good to do when you are in there to change the cabin filter. It's located over the glovebox housing, and you can access it by removing all the screws and pulling the glovebox housing out.

VSP module is shown in red. Connector is yellow.

-Phil
Thanks Phil. This was very easy to do.

I pulled off the trim piece under the glovebox. Next, I took off 4 screws along the bottom of the glovebox, 2 screws inside the glovebox and the 4 screws along the top of the golvebox. The whole box came out and I found the VSP module with its connector above the cavity. Pulled it out and no more beeping when the car is put in reverse.

raja

lion
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 am

GlennD wrote:I like the blind person warning but hate the reverse beep. I just used a normally closed relay connected to the backup light to open the speaker.

I had a guest here last weekend and I was surprised how bad the Leaf back up beep is. I have not heard it for over a year.
Can you give me some more details on this one? I only want to disable the reverse beep, and keep all other sounds, sounds like you figured out how to do it.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 pm

In the relay pod behind the battery against the firewall the left most relay is for the backup light. I tapped the wire going to the lights to run a bosch style relay.

The speaker is forward of the drivers wheel well.. I spliced in some speaker wire in series with one wire. It is connected to the common and normally closed contacts of the relay.

The speaker operates normally and you hear beeps like the charging beep. When you backup 12V from the relay activates the bosch relay. The coil of the relay is connected to ground and the backup light wire.

It has been over a year and I do not remember what wire I tapped off of, sorry.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

lion
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:47 pm

Ah, I understand your approach now, makes sense, I should be able to figure it out from here, thanks!

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:44 am

The circuit I described earlier in this post disables the Reverse beep and the VSP sound, but leaves all other beeps. You can still manually enable the VSP whenever you want it, but it defaults to off. The entire circuit is installed inside the VSP box.

Of course you'll need some familiarity with basic electronic components to construct it.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Return to “Accessories / Mods”