Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Re: DIY Horn Upgrade Mod - Updated

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Sounds nice, Mike.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:18 pm

I love the sound and the disembodied view.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:37 pm

thankyouOB wrote:nice sound on the one right above, but here is what comes up for the previous "facebook" photo show:

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
OK, I'll just go ahead and post the pics here too. I was trying to avoid repetition, since mine are not dissimilar to those of others who have gone in from underneath.

FIAMM 'El Grande' 74100 Electric Horns:

LEAF safely up on Rhino Ramps:

Tools required. 8, 10, 12, 13mm wrench or sockets to remove various bolts; flatblade screwdriver to remove plastic rivets; wire stripper and connector crimp tool:

Belly pan removed:

Belly pan fasteners. Six bolts and six plastic rivets:

The offending wimpy horn. Sadly ineffective.

New horns vs. old horn:

Pigtails for hooking two horns to one set of connectors:

New horns installed and ready for use in anger! LOL! This is why I needed a 13mm socket and you may not....I installed my horns one above the other, since there was a bolt hanging around below the stock horn bolt that seemed to be doing not much of anything:

Magnificent and gratuitous electric motor shot:

2011 Blue Ocean SL with 83,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

gascant
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:55 pm

That tool set looks an awful lot like mine, Mr. Walsh. I have the same vintage of everything!
I should post a photo of the tool set needed to make the NEMA L6-20 to 14-30 adapter so you can see.

In any case, I think I got the identical result to you. Unfortunately, I didn't use a lock washer or locking thread compound on my horns, so I'll have to go in again sometime to correct that.

Nice photos (and the links all worked for me).
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Boomer23 wrote:I admire your initiative in upgrading your horns, guys. I was just wondering why none of you decided to go really big, if you're going bigger.
I didn't go for air horns of any type because I am concerned that, while they're louder, they require a fraction of a second to generate sound. First-hand observation in several air horn installations as well as various accounts from others confirm that. I believe that it's because an air horn compressor/reservoir of a size practical for use on cars and motorcycles would be too small to supply the necessary air volume and pressure to sound the horn(s) immediately upon hitting the horn switch.

A wake-the-dead air horn would be very satisfying to use when one really needs to "voice" one's displeasure, but when I use the horn, it's almost always because I need to use it right now so I don't want to trade the reaction time for sound volume.
Boomer23 wrote:Here's a fellow who did just that. How would a set of these look on a LEAF?

Dunno... Are you volunteering? :D
Anna Nguyen

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:27 pm

aqn wrote:
A wake-the-dead air horn would be very satisfying to use when one really needs to "voice" one's displeasure, but when I use the horn, it's almost always because I need to use it right now so I don't want to trade the reaction time for sound volume.

Dunno... Are you volunteering? :D
Well.... I guess not, now that you've pointed out the technical defects. :lol:
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:57 pm

I use the FIAMM air horns on both my Minis.....they spool up in milliseconds. Any delay is imperceptible.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 83,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Devin
Delivery Date: 16 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 5123

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:44 am

Just wanted to chime in (or perhaps honk in?) that I also upgraded to the FIAMMs yesterday. Was very easy to come from the top and removing the coolant tank was much less scary than I had expected. I used a couple of adjustable wrenches to clamp the hoses down. Was a bit of a trick to figure out which arrangement to mount the horns in as the brackets I received with the FIAMMs were straight rather than having bends at the end like those in the photos. Definitely sounds way better now!
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV

RIP: 2011 Nissan LEAF SL

30,140mi & 54.11 AHr as of 2014FEB27

Leafboy
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5721

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Here is a cheap easy one. I calls for a 10A fuse, so direct hook-up to car seems easy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-12 ... 99911.html
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red
Longest continously owned Leaf in Georgia.
LED Upgrades: Parking lights, tag lights, back-up lights, side lights, interior lights,DRLs,LED Hi-beam.
Additional upgrades: Horn upgrade, pedestrian warning bell.

Leafboy
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5721

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 am

After two near misses from lane changes into me, I finally did my horn upgrade yesterday. I found a set of new horns on ebay that were actually for a Lincoln Town Car.(400HZ & 500HZ) The only reason I chose them is that they were mounted on a bracket that looked like it would fit them easily on the factory bracket in my car. I went into the car from the top and it was not easy for my big hands to get in there, but I finally accomplished it. I just can't imagine why they put that wimpy cookie horn in the car!!
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red
Longest continously owned Leaf in Georgia.
LED Upgrades: Parking lights, tag lights, back-up lights, side lights, interior lights,DRLs,LED Hi-beam.
Additional upgrades: Horn upgrade, pedestrian warning bell.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”