Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Re: 12 Volt Lead Acid Battery Replacement

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:50 pm

The original sealed battery in the Leaf should last many years, perhaps the life of the car.. there are no engine starting duties and it should be much cooler under the hood of a Leaf.. heat is the big killer of lead acid batteries. There will never be a payback replacing that battery, unlike chrome plating the wheels lets say.

TangoKilo
Delivery Date: 09 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2212

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:59 pm

As an aircraft mechanic, what bolts are you talking about?
8-)

TonyWilliams

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Skywagon wrote: The lightest aftermarket wheels in a similar size are in the 11 lb range; most are around 13-14 lbs. Plus you cannot factor wheel weight. Your 140 lb loss estimate is not correct.

Ya, I blew that simple math!

I disagree about factoring in wheel weight. Whatever weight is attached to the vehicle must be propelled up a hill. If it doesn't matter, as you say, then a simple test is to fill the wheels with calcium and then measure the performance. I predict a profound change for the worse in every measure.

My top speed up a local hill near my house was noticeably slower (82mph) than level (95 mph). Hopefully, that makes sense. Whether I add four 300 pound lead wheels or 1200 pounds of lead on the roof, both will have a measurable decrease in max speed up that hill.

Skywagon
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:12 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
Skywagon wrote: The lightest aftermarket wheels in a similar size are in the 11 lb range; most are around 13-14 lbs. Plus you cannot factor wheel weight as static/dampened weight as it is un-dampened and rotational mass (inertial) as well. Your 140 lb loss estimate is not correct.

Ya, I blew that simple math!

I disagree about factoring in wheel weight. Whatever weight is attached to the vehicle must be propelled up a hill. If it doesn't matter, as you say, then a simple test is to fill the wheels with calcium and then measure the performance. I predict a profound change for the worse in every measure.

My top speed up a local hill near my house was noticeably slower (82mph) than level (95 mph). Hopefully, that makes sense. Whether I add four 300 pound lead wheels or 1200 pounds of lead on the roof, both will have a measurable decrease in max speed up that hill.
If you are going to quote me then you do not edit my statement before rebutting it. I added back in my original statement (in RED) that you neglected to include in your reply. With that missing piece your reply would agree with my original post/statement except that in the fact that wheel weight is more critical than sprung mass (added to the roof, interior, etc.).

TonyWilliams

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:55 pm

TangoKilo wrote:As an aircraft mechanic, what bolts are you talking about?
8-)
The ones with holes ;-) Not the holes for safety wire on standard AN/MS hardware!

Usually pins with cocentric holes. Honda race motorcycles go to great lengths to lighten bolts, making concave reliefs on the heads. Of course, there are titanium bolts.

We're getting far off course of a lead acid battery replacement, and as a mechanic, I'm sure you can tell us that turbojet powered aircraft haven't used lead acid batteries in decades. Really bad NiCads in the bad old days.

TonyWilliams

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Skywagon wrote: If you are going to quote me then you do not edit my statement before rebutting it. I added back in my original statement (in RED) that you neglected to include in your reply.

Working from the iPhone here. Also, I almost always edit the quotes I reply to, and will continue to do in the future, like I did in this post.

I personally hate re-reading an entire post in somebody's quote. If somebody wants to get the statement verbatim, I believe that's as easy as scrolling up.

I do "have your request" on the quotes. Expect me to ignore it every time ;-)

Hugs and kisses always,

Tony

DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:14 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:I do "have your request" on the quotes. Expect me to ignore it every time ;-)
I don't think he objects trimming of quotes (I sure don't) - just what appeared to be selective trimming which changed the meaning/context of his original statement.

TangoKilo
Delivery Date: 09 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2212

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Any aircraft bolt with a hole in it will cost $$$... Lead acid batteries are still very popular in most small to medium sized aircraft... 8-)

davewill

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:I almost always edit the quotes I reply to, and will continue to do in the future...
I completely bought into your meaning changing edit and was confused until Skywagon put things straight. Cutting out half a sentence in the middle without ellipsis, and changing the meaning 180 degrees is NOT cool and NOT friendly. No matter how many smileys and hugs you put on your reply. If you can't bring yourself to take enough care to do it right, don't quote at all.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

TonyWilliams

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm

davewill wrote:Cutting out half a sentence in the middle without ellipsis, and changing the meaning 180 degrees is NOT cool and NOT friendly. No matter how many smileys and hugs you put on your reply. If you can't bring yourself to take enough care to do it right, don't quote at all.

Holy smokes guys !!! Don't know what to tell you. I did not INTENTIONALLY change his meaning, and anybody can STILL READ THE ORIGINAL. I do know that the iPhone tried to resize the font, no doubt from my fat fingers, and likely is the culprit. But, now somebody will claim I'm "covering up" and some other silliness.

Mea culpa on this one, of course. Heck, I didn't even get the weight of the wheels right.

I will continue to quote, and if it doesn't quite work out as good as the past 10,000 quotes I've done on the internet in the past 22 years, I'm not going to worry about it much.

I've got your request, too !!!
Last edited by TonyWilliams on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”