Skyline Leather Seats upgrade and Window Tinting (SoCal)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eHelmholtz

I took my car to Tony Dang at Skyline Seating to have his company custom install leather for me. In addition, I asked Tony to have the tinting folks come by and tint the car while the leather was being installed. Tony managed to find a company that tinted (35% front and 20% back) my car for $160 with lifetime warranty (which is a better deal than I could have gotten here in San Diego). The custom leather was $1K cash. Service was very fast - I took my car in Monday morning and it was done by Tuesday lunch time.

I should mention that this company was first discovered by Mike Walsh in the Leather anyone? thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4266&start=20#p108338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Since then, Tony has done some 20+ LEAFs with great results so I thought it would be fitting to start a new thread devoted to his handy work. He and his company have more than 25+ years of experience in custom leather installations. He can be reached at:

Tony Dang (Owner)
Skyline Seating
13050 Hoover Street
Westminster 92683
http://www.skylineseating.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony's direct line is (714) 720-5272
email: [email protected]

TARDIS%252520tinted.jpg
Tardis_leather.jpg

See perforated inserts on GPowers' Car below.

You should check out the center inserts with perforations. Gives the interior a nice custom look. Here are some photos of my upholstery job Tony did:

P1010793.JPG

P1010794.JPG

P1010796.JPG

P1010797.JPG

P1010799.JPG

P1010800.JPG

P1010801.JPG

P1010802.JPG

P1010798.JPG

GPowers said:
You should check out the center inserts with perforations. Gives the interior a nice custom look.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did think about it but opted to keep it simple ;-). Yours looks great - you should post more photos.

eHelmholtz said:
GPowers said:
You should check out the center inserts with perforations. Gives the interior a nice custom look.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did think about it but opted to keep it simple ;-). Yours looks great - you should post more photos.

We have the same color leather!!! Tony did mine also last week. Very happy! Wish I had thought to ask about the tinting... :!:

I wish we had a shop like Skyline here on the east coast. MY guess is no one can do that work around DC MD VA area.

it looks factory !

kmp647 said:
I wish we had a shop like Skyline here on the east coast. MY guess is no one can do that work around DC MD VA area.

it looks factory !
Thanks, it does look and feel factory. I would say though that there are talented people everywhere and so it shouldn't be hard to find someone in the DC area that can do this; of course, price will depend on the local market.

Your interior is beautiful! Is his work all custom, or does he install a leather kit? Not anyone around here doing that kind of quality. I was looking at Katskins leather online, but they're wanting $2,000 just for the kit, without installation! So, if he uses kits I'd like to know where to buy one, if not, any recommendations would be great!

charlestonleafer said:
Your interior is beautiful! Is his work all custom, or does he install a leather kit? Not anyone around here doing that kind of quality. I was looking at Katskins leather online, but they're wanting $2,000 just for the kit, without installation! So, if he uses kits I'd like to know where to buy one, if not, any recommendations would be great!
Thanks for the compliment; others have better photos of their leather installation done by Skyline. Tony at Skyline does custom installation where the old upholstery is replaced with leather but now that he's done quite a few, I should think he'd be able to create a kit. I can email him and see what he says; else, you can contact him directly; his email is at the top.

JimSouCal said:
We have the same color leather!!! Tony did mine also last week. Very happy! Wish I had thought to ask about the tinting... :!:
Hi Jim. Tony and Santos did say that someone had chosen the same color including the lighter colour double stitching the previous week. I'm happy with our choice too :)

eHelmholtz said:
Tony at Skyline does custom installation where the old upholstery is replaced with leather but now that he's done quite a few, I should think he'd be able to create a kit. I can email him and see what he says; else, you can contact him directly; his email is at the top.
CharlestonLeafer,
I did contact Tony from Skyline and he confirmed that his work is all custom but since he's done many LEAFs, he can put together and sell a kit but it would require special skills to install. I think the best bet would be to hire someone to do the installation since the original upholstery is removed; I don't know what the price is but the price fully installed is $1K so I should think it would be less expensive then the Katzkin option. See a redacted email from Tony at Skyline:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Leather Seats
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:55:46 -0700 (PDT)

hey jonathan, thanks for the support. about the install it yourself kit, its not that easy to install. he would need some special tools to do it. but i mean if he knows what he is doing, then yeah i can sale him a kit.

Tony Dang
------------------------------------

That's awesome! I've never done interior work before, and I'm not gonna test my skills on my Leaf. I'll have a professional here install it. I'd imagine with a kit, a person with experience should be able to make it look almost as good as yours. When it gets closer to my delivery date I'll get in contact with Tony. Thanks so much for your help!

Nice leather! But as a cyclist those windows scare the hell out of me. What can I do when a vehicle pulls out of a driveway or side street? I have to almost come to a stop to make sure he sees me which makes him have to wait for me to pass. Or, he could just run over me and that would be another cyclist off the road. Sorry for the negative comment.

rickrides said:
Nice leather! But as a cyclist those windows scare the hell out of me. What can I do when a vehicle pulls out of a driveway or side street? I have to almost come to a stop to make sure he sees me which makes him have to wait for me to pass. Or, he could just run over me and that would be another cyclist off the road. Sorry for the negative comment.
I have good eyes still ;-) so cyclists have little to worry about for a few years at least :) but to be honest, I was misled into believing that a medium tint would be within guidelines in California, else I would have done lighter.

rickrides said:
Nice leather! But as a cyclist those windows scare the hell out of me. What can I do when a vehicle pulls out of a driveway or side street? I have to almost come to a stop to make sure he sees me which makes him have to wait for me to pass.

This is good, it keeps you alert.. a scared cyclist (or motorcyclist) is a live cyclist.. many car drivers will look straight at you and not see you, dont assume anything.

added a bunch of photos to a post early in this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5963#p136110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your guy does really nice work -- looks better than factory w/o any sagging, etc. -- I remember seeing a dealer retrofit Miata in FL with leather add-on seats (it was a base model that they simply couldn't move so 'upgraded' it) and simply looked out of place, material was saggy and the color was a poor match as well as side bolsters didn't line up right --- may have simply been a seat cover but they were charging $2K for the upgrade for just the two bucket seats! Will be curious how it holds up over time --

eHelmholtz said:
In addition, I asked Tony to have the tinting folks come by and tint the car while the leather was being installed. Tony managed to find a company that tinted (35% front and 20% back) my car for $160 with lifetime warranty (which is a better deal than I could have gotten here in San Diego).

How did you decide on those tint percentages? Is that legal in California to have the front windows tinted?

JustinC said:
Is that legal in California to have the front windows tinted?

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

Whether or not this is enforced is the big question. Though I know of incidences where people have gotten fix-it tickets before, but that was back in the 90s (not sure how things have changed over the past 10+ years).

edit: Additional Info from http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I don't know if it's out-dated or not)

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

After reading all the great feedback about Skyline, last week I brought my Leaf in on Wednesday to have leather put in. I did the Dark Gray, I really like the contrasting colors with the dark seats and light car accents (plastic, seatbelts, etc). It really goes well with the dash. Santos helped me (I only talked to Tony on the Phone). They did a great job! I will try and take some pictures this weekend. I love the new leather on my Leaf!

Back