- Upgraded to 2014 Rav4EV with Quickchargepower.com CHAdeMO port, 53,000 miles
- Tesla Model 3 reserved

aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Re: DIY seat heaters

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Electric4Me wrote:I finally took the plunge and installed 4 seat heaters in my Leaf this weekend. Total cost: $138
Good job, Bill!
Electric4Me wrote:In the absence of a complete step by step write up for you (I'll try to get to this in the next week or two...), I offer a photo "journey" through the process. [...]
All of the photos are here, [...]
You've done plenty, posting the pics. I would suggest the next person to add heated seats following those pics, to make appropriate notes in the "comment" area of each pic, such as "Remove this doohickey with a thingummyblob" and "Watch out for the sharp edges".

Your assignment should now simply be: "Don't remove the Picasa pics!"
Electric4Me wrote:Sorry that there are a lot of blurry pics! It's hard to hold stuff and take pics with one hand some times...
TMI!

Anna Nguyen

charlestonleafer
Delivery Date: 05 Nov 2011
Leaf Number: 8404

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:33 am

Sorry, must have missed the link for the pics, after seeing all of the pics, it seems like a perfect thin to do when/if I get the leather kit!
2011 Nissan Leaf sold after 33,000 miles
2012 Chevy Volt sold after 28,000 miles
2013 Toyota Rav4 EV 11,000 miles and counting!

Electric4Me
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:23 am

aqn wrote:
Electric4Me wrote:I finally took the plunge and installed 4 seat heaters in my Leaf this weekend. Total cost: $138
Good job, Bill!
Electric4Me wrote:In the absence of a complete step by step write up for you (I'll try to get to this in the next week or two...), I offer a photo "journey" through the process. [...]
All of the photos are here, [...]
You've done plenty, posting the pics. I would suggest the next person to add heated seats following those pics, to make appropriate notes in the "comment" area of each pic, such as "Remove this doohickey with a thingummyblob" and "Watch out for the sharp edges".

Your assignment should now simply be: "Don't remove the Picasa pics!"
Next week we're making a family road trip to Portland (10 hours) so I'll have some time to type while my wife is driving. I'll try to write down what I remember.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

DaveEV

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Electric4Me wrote:
drees wrote:Someone has got to look up the OEM part # for the heater switches - they can't be that expensive and with them it will look OEM!
I had been waiting for the cold weather package to come out so that I could order those switches, but when I found out how the rear switches were integrated (see here) I decided I didn't it wasn't worth that level of effort. I can always change to the OEM front switches at any point (if they're High/Low/Off switches).
Yep, I found them online for about $20/each, but couldn't find a site that had them and a part number. Your local dealer should be able to find them using a 2012 LEAF parts catalog (search for "heat switch") - hopefully they don't charge too much more for them.

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:58 pm

drees wrote:
Electric4Me wrote:
drees wrote:Someone has got to look up the OEM part # for the heater switches - they can't be that expensive and with them it will look OEM!
I had been waiting for the cold weather package to come out so that I could order those switches, but when I found out how the rear switches were integrated (see here) I decided I didn't it wasn't worth that level of effort. I can always change to the OEM front switches at any point (if they're High/Low/Off switches).
Yep, I found them online for about $20/each, but couldn't find a site that had them and a part number. Your local dealer should be able to find them using a 2012 LEAF parts catalog (search for "heat switch") - hopefully they don't charge too much more for them.
FYI: I found them from an Altima. They are the same part. I got them used with the wiring harness for $20.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Electric4Me

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Ingineer wrote:
drees wrote: Yep, I found them online for about $20/each, but couldn't find a site that had them and a part number. Your local dealer should be able to find them using a 2012 LEAF parts catalog (search for "heat switch") - hopefully they don't charge too much more for them.
FYI: I found them from an Altima. They are the same part. I got them used with the wiring harness for $20.

-Phil
That's great Phil! What year(s) of Altima?

Bill
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

Ingineer

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Electric4Me wrote:
Ingineer wrote:FYI: I found them from an Altima. They are the same part. I got them used with the wiring harness for $20.

-Phil

Bill
No clue. Just saw them and it looked identical, so I ordered them. They fit/look perfectly, and can be easily wired into any of the kits that use 2 pads for hi/low, no relays needed. The switches are different for driver/passenger. I can't see any part numbers molded into the plastic, but there is a number heat-stamped into each: 4316B for driver, and 4322B for passenger.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Ingineer

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Here's what they look like:

They have indicators when on, and also illuminate at night with the dash lighting.

-Phil

Electric4Me

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Ingineer wrote:
Electric4Me wrote:
Ingineer wrote:FYI: I found them from an Altima. They are the same part. I got them used with the wiring harness for $20.

-Phil

Bill
No clue. Just saw them and it looked identical, so I ordered them.

-Phil
I see. I'll let someone else do the research legwork then. I'm satisfied with my current switches for now. :D

Though the dash lighting would be nice. How were they wired in?

I'm guessing that you're installing (installed?) only the fronts?

Bill
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

Return to “Accessories / Mods”