Page 3 of 14

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:09 pm
by Ingineer
Electric4Me wrote:I see. I'll let someone else do the research legwork then. I'm satisfied with my current switches for now. :D

Though the dash lighting would be nice. How were they wired in?

I'm guessing that you're installing (installed?) only the fronts?

Bill
I tapped the Dash lighting from the console (the P-R-N-D indicator).

Yes, I only installed the front ones.

Looks like the same switch from a Titan is only $21.34 brand-new online, whereas it's $66.43 for the Altima. (Same Part number!) Part number is 25500 for left and 25500+A for right. That's pretty scary!

I'll post a schematic later if anyone needs it.

-Phil

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:19 pm
by DaveEV
Ingineer wrote:Looks like the same switch from a Titan is only $21.34 brand-new online, whereas it's $66.43 for the Altima. (Same Part number!) Part number is 25500 for left and 25500+A for right. That's pretty scary!
The parts might be different - it seems that similar parts between cars start with the same 5-6 digits, but then have another 5-6 digits after that...

Found this out by looking at suspension parts and finding that a lot of parts between the Altima, Versa and LEAF were the same, but upon closer inspection were not.

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:32 pm
by Ingineer
drees wrote:The parts might be different - it seems that similar parts between cars start with the same 5-6 digits, but then have another 5-6 digits after that...

Found this out by looking at suspension parts and finding that a lot of parts between the Altima, Versa and LEAF were the same, but upon closer inspection were not.
Yes, I can believe this. But it appears they are identical according the pictures. Same markings, same dimensions. I'll bet you lunch they work perfectly in the Leaf!

-Phil

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:54 pm
by palmermd
Ingineer wrote: Looks like the same switch from a Titan is only $21.34 brand-new online, whereas it's $66.43 for the Altima. (Same Part number!) Part number is 25500 for left and 25500+A for right. That's pretty scary!

-Phil
I went to the dealership today to get a quote for a switch. I was quoted $30 (thirty something) for each switch. I'm going to just use the aftermarket kit supplied switch like Bill. It's not worth an extra $60 for these switches. I also went to a couple of junk yards and asked and none of them have any switches from any newer Nissan cars. They say newer cars are just getting rebuilt and sold as "salvaged" title instead of going to the scrap yard. Oh well.

On a side note, there was again 8 Leafs on the lot. Two 2012 and six 2011 models (two 11's were demo models). Marked as $500 below MSRP. So anybody who is looking for a car between here and the Mississippi river should be able to get it delivered for MSRP (about $500 to ship half way across country and about $1000 to the east coast in my experience). Nissan of Elk Grove

Image
Image
Image

http://www.nissanofelkgrove.com/new-inv ... ofelkgrove

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:07 pm
by jimtubbs
Phil I would like the wiring diagram for the seat heater switches that you have. Thank You Jim Tubbs jimtubbs@aol.com

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:45 pm
by gascant
A few comments:
Bill--great job being the pioneer here!! I would tap you for presenting at the January BayLEAFs meeting if you agree. And I was going to ask about bloody hand photos, but I saw them already at the link.

I can vouch that those are the switches for the Altima--our Altima Hybrid has 'em and they do illuminate when on and at night. Good find, Phil.

Please post the schematic--I'm definitely up for this upgrade as driving to/from work these days is getting pretty chilly and I hate to see the 1.5 - 3 kW that the heater uses while cruising.

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:32 am
by mwalsh
gascant wrote:Please post the schematic--I'm definitely up for this upgrade as driving to/from work these days is getting pretty chilly and I hate to see the 1.5 - 3 kW that the heater uses while cruising.
+1. Thanks in advance, Phil!

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 am
by Elbows
I got the factory switches from here for $16 each + shipping:

http://www.factorynissanparts.com/partl ... atalogid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't done the seat heater install yet. This thread will help a great deal. Thanks!

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:11 pm
by Ready2plugin
Elbows wrote:I got the factory switches from here for $16 each + shipping:

http://www.factorynissanparts.com/partl ... atalogid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't done the seat heater install yet. This thread will help a great deal. Thanks!

Nice find Elbows and welcome to the forum!

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:58 pm
by Ingineer
Here's the schematic I used with the Nissan switches:

Image

You can use any seat heater kit where the pads are rated for 12v. There are 2 pads, one for seat back, the other for lower seat, and when in low mode the switch will place them in series, whereas in high, they are in parallel.

-Phil