gascant
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209

Re: DIY seat heaters

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Ingineer wrote:FYI: Hooking this Nissan switches up is different than the relay-based system used with the kit, see THIS post for my schematic.

-Phil
So you bypassed the relay altogether and fed the 5 amps directly through the Nissan switch? And it can handle that current? The kit switches looked like they could only handle a small current. Also, you mentioned buying a Nissan wiring harness. The rest of us will need to solder the wires directly to the switch, no?
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:17 am

The relay is not used to keep current out of the switch, it's used for series/parallel switching. Nissan figured out how to do it with a specially made switch. If you look at how it's wired, you will see that heater current is indeed passing through the switch. (Another reason to get rid of it!)

I think the female mini-spade connectors will fit this switch without too much trouble.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:15 am

Ingineer wrote:FYI: Hooking this Nissan switches up is different than the relay-based system used with the kit, see THIS post for my schematic.

-Phil
I must say, that schematic is not drawn to you usual standards, Phil! :lol:
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 83,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Ingineer

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:09 am

mwalsh wrote:I must say, that schematic is not drawn to you usual standards, Phil! :lol:
You should have seen the rev 1 schematic I made on the back of a piece of masking tape. I re-drafted it (at great expense) just for MNL! =)

Sometimes a pencil and paper trump the PC.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

gascant

Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Ingineer wrote:
mwalsh wrote:I must say, that schematic is not drawn to you usual standards, Phil! :lol:
You should have seen the rev 1 schematic I made on the back of a piece of masking tape. I re-drafted it (at great expense) just for MNL! =)

Sometimes a pencil and paper trump the PC.

-Phil
Oh, the sacrifices you make for your fellow LEAFers, Phil!
Thanks for posting on the mini-spade lugs. That will save a lot of hassle. I did take an ohmmeter to the Nissan switches when they arrived and found continuity to be consistent with your schematic. You just saved me from having to do same for the kit switches ;)

It looks like there are a number of us in the Bay Area that want to do this job. I won't get to it until the period between the holidays, I think. But Electric4Me has volunteered to teach us all how to do it. Is anyone game for the week after Christmas?

Ingineer

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 am

gascant wrote:It looks like there are a number of us in the Bay Area that want to do this job. I won't get to it until the period between the holidays, I think. But Electric4Me has volunteered to teach us all how to do it. Is anyone game for the week after Christmas?
I'd be happy to help as well, but I'm OOT until after new-years.

-Phil

arnolddeleon
Delivery Date: 25 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4147

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:53 pm

gascant wrote: It looks like there are a number of us in the Bay Area that want to do this job. I won't get to it until the period between the holidays, I think. But Electric4Me has volunteered to teach us all how to do it. Is anyone game for the week after Christmas?
I received my heaters, the "instructions" say is it is the Roadwire RW-SH1518B Seat Heater. I bought the front/back kit. There are 4 identical units that arrived. So if two people want to do front only they can save a few bucks by splitting an order.

I've also ordered the OEM switches for the front seats.

I think I have a crimping tool should handle the mini spade connectors that Phil suggested for the OEM switches.

arnold

gascant

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 pm

arnolddeleon wrote:
gascant wrote: It looks like there are a number of us in the Bay Area that want to do this job. I won't get to it until the period between the holidays, I think. But Electric4Me has volunteered to teach us all how to do it. Is anyone game for the week after Christmas?
I received my heaters, the "instructions" say is it is the Roadwire RW-SH1518B Seat Heater. I bought the front/back kit. There are 4 identical units that arrived. So if two people want to do front only they can save a few bucks by splitting an order.

I think I have a crimping tool should handle the mini spade connectors that Phil suggested for the OEM switches.

arnold
Sounds like a party to me--at least 4 people want to do it now. Maybe we should have an SF BayLEAFs special event? :lol:

arnolddeleon
Delivery Date: 25 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4147

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:40 pm

gascant wrote:
arnolddeleon wrote:

arnold
Sounds like a party to me--at least 4 people want to do it now. Maybe we should have an SF BayLEAFs special event? :lol:
I'm about to order a 100 of the 0.110 female spade connectors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 214wt_1093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each OEM switch requires 6 so each car would require 12

so I can be ready to party :)

Probably need to come up with a full parts list. I guessing we need some taps to tap into the lighting circuit and the adapter to pull power from the fuse block.

arnold

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:23 pm

I'm in. I have the heaters and switches. Just let me know when and where.

Jim

Return to “Accessories / Mods”