Page 8 of 14

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 am
by vijayl
Nice thread. I had ordered the Dorman heat pads from Amazon with Free Shipping. Just ordered the Nissan Seat Heater Switch.
The Amazon URL has installation video as well.

Better price compared to ebay.

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:11 am
by arnolddeleon
vijayl wrote:Nice thread. I had ordered the Dorman heat pads from Amazon with Free Shipping. Just ordered the Nissan Seat Heater Switch.
The Amazon URL has installation video as well.

Better price compared to ebay.
As best as I can tell the Amazon link you sent out only includes enough pads for only 1 seat! The eBay set that I bought comes with enough for pad for 4 seats for around $140 and 2 seats for around $80

arnold

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:25 am
by Electric4Me
Ingineer wrote:Oh, and get ready to bleed! Even though I was extremely careful, I still got a few cuts and scrapes from that !@#$% sharp sheemetal seat pan!
TonyWilliams wrote:
Randy wrote:Can the sharp edges be taped up behorehand to avoid this? I haven't taken the seats out yet...
Wear tight fitting leather gloves.
Both of these solutions would work. Leather "mechanics" gloves (that are brand new or equally clean) would certainly work. I don't recall if the driver's seat is different than the passenger seat, but I did not cut myself on the passenger side. I may have just figured things out better by then...
gascant wrote:It looks like there are a number of us in the Bay Area that want to do this job. I won't get to it until the period between the holidays, I think. But Electric4Me has volunteered to teach us all how to do it. Is anyone game for the week after Christmas?
My best opportunity would be the day after Christmas as I'm off work that day. If that doesn't work out for enough people I could switch work days. We could also meet after 4:00 pm on a weekday any time this month. Depending on the weather, we could work on 1-4 cars simultaneously at my place. I'm in Union City near the Dumbarton bridge.

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:00 pm
by arnolddeleon
Electric4Me wrote:
gascant wrote:It looks like there are a number of us in the Bay Area that want to do this job. I won't get to it until the period between the holidays, I think. But Electric4Me has volunteered to teach us all how to do it. Is anyone game for the week after Christmas?
My best opportunity would be the day after Christmas as I'm off work that day. If that doesn't work out for enough people I could switch work days. We could also meet after 4:00 pm on a weekday any time this month. Depending on the weather, we could work on 1-4 cars simultaneously at my place. I'm in Union City near the Dumbarton bridge.
I don't have work between Christmas and New Year so that works for me.

arnold

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 pm
by jcobb
They are not OEM but I like my switches very well. They look built in; similar to the switch for the headlight angle; and have 10, count them 10 different heat settings. 0-5 in 1/2 increments.

Image

Image

Warning I did have to shave a little bit off the console to get them to fit but am very please with the results.

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:49 pm
by mwalsh
jcobb wrote:They are not OEM but I like my switches very well. They look built in; similar to the switch for the headlight angle; and have 10, count them 10 different heat settings. 0-5 in 1/2 increments.

Warning I did have to shave a little bit off the console to get them to fit but am very please with the results.
I like those. What is the source, if you don't mind sharing?

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:31 pm
by jcobb
mwalsh wrote:
jcobb wrote:They are not OEM but I like my switches very well. They look built in; similar to the switch for the headlight angle; and have 10, count them 10 different heat settings. 0-5 in 1/2 increments.

Warning I did have to shave a little bit off the console to get them to fit but am very please with the results.
I like those. What is the source, if you don't mind sharing?
I got them here. http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/single- ... witch.html More expensive than the ebay models mentioned earlier but the switch, fast warm-up and and very warm high end temperature, sold me. I installed these years ago in my old Prius with the Hi/Low switch but found it was a bit too warm on high and not warm enough on low. Used it yesterday on an epic 160 mile round trip in the Cascade mountains with an average outside temperature of 20F and no car heat, except the occasional defog.

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:20 pm
by aqn
jcobb wrote:[...] and have 10, count them 10 different heat settings.
I want one that goes to 11.

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:12 am
by shay
Lots of great information in this thread. What is the level of difficulty of installing the seat warmers? I am definitely wanting to install them.

Re: DIY seat heaters

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:31 am
by Electric4Me
shay wrote:Lots of great information in this thread. What is the level of difficulty of installing the seat warmers? I am definitely wanting to install them.
I would call it low to medium.