Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2018
Leaf Number: 123456

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:35 am

nlspace wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:46 pm
jaap wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:58 am
...when I opened the drain plug, nothing happened. After a while a tiny stream of pitch black oil came out. What came out was less then 0,10 liter!
Oh yeah now we know how and why it was so extremely low on oil--it all puked out the tube with the missing breather valve.
I think most likely is there are parts missing (and that also caused the low oil level). I'm quite sure the dealer never even got the bottom plate off although they should have done that during the 1-year maintenance check they said they did when they sold it. So I'll go back to the dealer, see if they can get me this breather and ask what they are going to do about the probable damage to the gearbox.

voltamps
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2020

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:19 am

On jaap's gearbox issues, Nissan may try to wiggle out of the Powertrain Warranty (only 2 years left on it) since somebody at some unknown point broke off the breather cap. Or, could be Nissan might think it just broke off on it's own, which would be covered under warranty. They could also point to the annual oil level inspection that is supposed to be done & cancel the warranty cuz of that.

Right now, as long as the gearbox isn't making funny noises, it's not considered broke. Strange case.
2020 Leaf SV - sold - I'll get another EV later...Reserved the irresistible Maverick Hybrid, here in a few months
2016 Ford Focus Electric (traded in at 34k miles, 5 years)

Return to “Tips & Tricks”