Workaround for entering nav destination

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levenkay

I've recently traded up to a 2018 LEAF SV, and, while trying to preload the addresses for some favored DCQC stations, discovered that the "enter street address" function seemingly couldn't be used for one of them. I made the mistake of trying to fill out the data entry fields from top down, and by the time I'd put in the street name, the system would only allow a choice among three automatically-completed addresses, all of them in the wrong towns. I noticed, though, that there's a new alternative to "by street address", and that's to use the "Destinations by Google" choice (at least, I don't remember having that option before). With that one, I entered a search string like "Joes greasy gut-bombs". and up popped a map dotted with little red "there's one here" icons for all the nearby franchise locations. I quickly found the one that hosts the DCQC I'm interested in, poked it on the map, and it became stored destination number 2 in the car's list. A side effect of using this method, though, is that the destination thereafter shows up in menus as "Joes greasy gut-bombs", instead of something like "459 Dirello St, San Francisco".

I then found out that for the specific address I'd had trouble entering, if I filled out the top field (the state), then the bottom field (the city), and THEN the street address in the middle two lines, the Nav would actually allow the correct address to be entered.

Thanks, for the tip. I gave up on going long list of strange town, state matches. Now I could enter town name first and avoid this awful UI.

Destinations by Google sounds new. I don't recall such at thing in my '13 SV's nav system.

On my '13, I usually select city (often one of the last 5 cities is right) first, I put in the house number then the street.

I always enter destination addresses 'bottom up' in my Nav (state/city/street/#), which I would think avoids this sort of situation in any Nav system.

Stanton said:
I always enter destination addresses 'bottom up' in my Nav (state/city/street/#), which I would think avoids this sort of situation in any Nav system.
Remember, we're talking about Nissan software here. The presented menu is ordered, top-to-bottom, as { state, #, street, city } , and it comes up with the top (state) entry highlighted. That strongly suggests that the gradeschoolers who programmed it expect the information to come in that order. Also, my limited experience with entering addresses is that there ISN'T a single, correct order to enter things (although it does seem that entering the state first is always best).

A related sore point is the question of how to enter an address like "1234 W Bungle". At first glance, that should be house number "1234" on "W Bungle" street, and I've entered several addresses of that type successfully. But on about as many occasions, the Nav won't accept that street name, and I've had to enter the house number as "1234 W" , and the street as just "Bungle".

Levenkay said:
Stanton said:
Remember, we're talking about Nissan software here. The presented menu is ordered, top-to-bottom, as { state, #, street, city } , and it comes up with the top (state) entry highlighted. That strongly suggests that the gradeschoolers who programmed it expect the information to come in that order.

I just realized we are talking about 2 different MY...and 2 different implementations.
The "old" Leaf Nav (Gen 1) has a different address order than the "new" Leaf (Gen 2).
In either case, I agree you should start with state...then city...

In the week I had my leaf, before it got rear ended, I absolutely hated the built in nav system. I have a 2017 Civic SI, honda was smart and decided not to include nav, opting for better Android Auto or what ever the apple version is. After playing with the Honda I decided to upgrade my Tundra to an Android Auto capable stereo. I much prefer Maps and Waze.

Consumer did a review of [infotainment] systems awhile back. Pretty much EVERY car manufacturer did poorly, with Tesla being best if I remember correctly. Some modern high end cars still have OK running hardware but their reliability scores have been decimated but the lousy [gizmos] they put in cars now. When they break they are expensive and hard to fix, IF you CAN find someone with enough knowledge to troubleshoot and fix them. The day of the high school dropout grease-monkey is long gone, but unfortunately there is a black hole in high tech auto repair. Click and Clack had college degrees and were rare.

You think Nissan is bad, you should try Toyota. :cry:

flydiver said:
Consumer did a review of [infotainment] systems awhile back. Pretty much EVERY car manufacturer did poorly, with Tesla being best if I remember correctly. Some modern high end cars still have OK running hardware but their reliability scores have been decimated but the lousy [gizmos] they put in cars now. When they break they are expensive and hard to fix, IF you CAN find someone with enough knowledge to troubleshoot and fix them. The day of the high school dropout grease-monkey is long gone, but unfortunately there is a black hole in high tech auto repair. Click and Clack had college degrees and were rare.

You think Nissan is bad, you should try Toyota. :cry:

Man, you're not kidding. Infotainment programming is uniformly off the WTF scale. My 2014 Sonic, 2016 Civic, and now 2019 Leaf systems are just awful. The Leaf's nav is fairly decent at routing once you accept that everything is bass-ackwards, including verbal instructions: "TURN LEFT... in 1000 feet at Southern Avenue." "You have arrived at your destination, Guadalupe Road one thousand eight hundred thirty-five, on the right." No. No. NO. *headdesk*

Can be trouble if the address isn't in the outdated map database. Google Maps, etc., on a smartphone beats the clunky Nissan nav hands down. I haven't used it in a long time.

The absolute best work around for me was using Android Auto. Hit the mic button and tell it where I want to go. Boom… Google map pulls up and guides me to my destination. Never needs updating map info, knows all my contacts and accounts for traffic delays. Never use anything else.

Back