Original Charger (2011) vs. 50A Wall Outlet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWO4Mann

Leaf Supporting Member
My charger is the original Blink kluge installed in Dec 2011. Works without a problem so far.
My LEAF is a 2012 Sl delivered Dec 2011 (see my signature below).

Is there any advantage in using the spare 50A 220/240 outlet in my garage with the modified cable which came with the LEAF.

Appreciate any advice, pro or con.

Regards,

Dave

Does your car have a 6.6kW charger? What is the kludge and what is the charging rate of it?

A Leaf with a 6.6kW charger can take 27.5A at 240V if the EVSE allows that. If you're below that limit now and want faster charging and the EVSE supports it, then a 50A/240V circuit can supply the extra power. If the bottle neck is something else (the charger on the car, the EVSE) then using a higher rated circuit will have no effect. I assume the circuit the EVSE is using now is adequate (80% rule and all that).

There is a fixed overhead of pumps, electronics, etc while charging so a faster charging speed is more efficient since less time is spent burning the charging overhead. A higher charging rate can also affect the temperature of the battery while charging and that should probably be taken into account. I don't know how much charging slower for a longer time vs faster for a shorter time affects the battery temperature but it is something to keep in mind if you charge when it's warm.

All of us 2011 and 2012 leaf people are stuck charging at a max 3.8kw with the evse.

500 watts for the cooling system sounds awfully high.
It's only 2 tiny pumps and a fan and I have only had the fan kick on once or twice during the summer.
I show a full 16 amps at 240 to 250 volts going to the evse.

Maybe it's 3.3 after cooling, charging system inefficiencies and losses.

Either way don't buy a 6.6 or bigger evse for your 2011 or 2012 leaf unless you know you are getting a newer leaf that will charge at 6.6kw (not a sport model).
If you are paying some one to run a 240v circuit out to your garage or charging area, go ahead and have them put in a 50 amp circuit.
The difference between paying someone to install a 20 amp versus a 50 amp circuit is minimal.

Back