Can't disable reverse beeping with LeafSpy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkroff

I just purchased a 2013 Leaf and am trying to disable the beeping with LeafSpy 1.7.38 on iOS. I get all the data, so the connection to the OBDII is working fine. I don't see the option to disable the beep. Did it get removed, or is there something special I have to do? Please help. I feel so bad when it goes off early in the morning.

From settings in the app, you need to enable the service screen. Then tap the VSP settings button. This is what I need to do on the Android Pro version.

Thank you. I looked all over for a manual of some kind. I found all kinds of information for the standard screens and data, but nothing on these settings.

jmkroff said:
Thank you. I looked all over for a manual of some kind. I found all kinds of information for the standard screens and data, but nothing on these settings.
You can email the author for a PDF of the help that's built into the app. The instructions on how to do that are in the help.

SueC56 said:
My understanding is that there is no way to disable the backup beeper. :-(
You can turn it off with LeafSpyPro.

Some might tell you there is no need to turn it off, but that's just their opinion. For instance, my daughter, who sleeps in the bedroom directly above our garage, was very happy when I turned it off.

Hi Folks,

New to Leaf with 2019 SL-Plus. The only down side to this car is the annoying back up beep. It wakes people up in the morning and people point to me when backing up, quite embarrassing. Tesla's don't beep when they back up and its not a commercial vehicle with limited visibility. The car already has other safety features when backing up where the backup beeping is redundant and unnecessary. This functionality should be enabled or disabled from a general setting in the car. Nobody should have to buy a 3rd party product or modify the car to make this happen. Nissan, I hope that you are listening! Otherwise an awesome car!

On the previous generation (haven't found instructions for the current gen), behind the glovebox (it removes with a few screws and snaps) is the VSP sound module. Unplugging the connector to it disables the reverse beep, forward sound, charging beeps, etc. I unplugged it and couldn't be happier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHWT8VqnRGo

So let people notice your car. The noise is not really that loud, so no one can say that it wakes people up.

That is a very needed safety item... Stop wanting to customized everything...

It's the spouses car and doesn't want the attention. Due to the charging location our parking spot is within 5' of the neighbors window and it does bother them.

The sad part is that Tesla's don't have that notification. The Leaf is not a commercial vehicle with limited visibility. In fact it has more visibility than previous vehicles owned. These are other pedestrian safety features of the car:
Back Up Lights
Cameras
Collision Detection

If Nissan wants to offer the backup beeping it should be optional and under control (and Liability) of the owner or operator of the car.

We were too excited about owning an EV to pay attention at the test drive. I totally regret that. Otherwise it would be a great car. If I can't find a way of having this disabled, I don't know how much longer we will have it.

Luigi said:
If I can't find a way of having this disabled, I don't know how much longer we will have it.
Did you miss this post on the previous page?
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=30299#p567322

I am not suggesting this, but the other thing you can do is get a piece of duct tape and just cover the speaker, very low tech and you can still hear the warning it is just not so shrill and if you keep adding layers of duct tape you can make it really quiet.

You can absolutely disable it. You need the pro version of leafspy, it costs ~$10. I would suggest downloading the manual, but basically you need to go into settings in the app and enable the service screen, then exit settings and swipe sideways until you’re on the service screen, scroll down and there are ~3 or 4 options under VSP, it’s the one called ‘reverse siren’ or something similar.

Kev994 said:
You can absolutely disable it. You need the pro version of leafspy, it costs ~$10. I would suggest downloading the manual, but basically you need to go into settings in the app and enable the service screen, then exit settings and swipe sideways until you’re on the service screen, scroll down and there are ~3 or 4 options under VSP, it’s the one called ‘reverse siren’ or something similar.

True, except for MY2012 vehicles. LeafSpyPro cannot disable this for reasons explained in a support thread by Turbo3. Also in MY2011, there was a dash switch to turn the noisemaker on or off.

I have a 2019 SV plus now, the reverse chime annoys my wife and I'm trying to figure out a way to disable it. Reading about the app Leafspy, I need to know of the app is able to actually disable the chime and also when you connect the LELink^2, does it need to stay connected all thew time? or you can remove it after the chime is disabled?

sako said:
I have a 2019 SV plus now, the reverse chime annoys my wife and I'm trying to figure out a way to disable it. Reading about the app Leafspy, I need to know of the app is able to actually disable the chime and also when you connect the LELink^2, does it need to stay connected all thew time? or you can remove it after the chime is disabled?

I have 2022 SV and Leafspy can not disable the reverse sounds however for leaf models before 2020 leafspy can disable the reverse sounds. You will need OBDII device. It's a one time setting that does not require constant connection.

Back