Page 2 of 9

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:58 am
by GroundLoop
Marvelous pictures! LOVE this thread.
The cooling lines go up into the body. Not sure what' up there to cool.
That would be the Charger, if I'm not mistaken.

If this post ends up in the middle of your fine picture thread, I'll delete it for sanitation. :)

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:20 am
by TonyWilliams
GroundLoop wrote:Marvelous pictures! LOVE this thread.
The cooling lines go up into the body. Not sure what' up there to cool.
That would be the Charger, if I'm not mistaken.

If this post ends up in the middle of your fine picture thread, I'll delete it for sanitation. :)

It's too late for me to go edit right now. But, you're probably right. That also means that the part that I thought was the main battery disconnect is wrong; that would be the wires to the charger.

The main disconnect must be directly in the center top of the main battery assembly.

Tony

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:15 am
by TNleaf
Great pictures! I'm an engineer, so seeing all of this (no matter how foreign) is exciting.

I am curious, are you doing this just to take it apart and see what's there, or are you making modifications?

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:21 am
by TonyWilliams
TNleaf wrote: I am curious, are you doing this just to take it apart and see what's there, or are you making modifications?
Both.

I'll be doing several mods. I'll be sure and take pictures when it's done.

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:27 am
by edatoakrun
Excellent photos, thanks.

Is the "where a spare would fit" location as completely impossible/impractical for current LEAF owners, as it would appear to be?

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:32 am
by DaveinOlyWA
very nice. this should be added to an FAQ

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:39 am
by GroundLoop
TonyWilliams wrote: It's too late for me to go edit right now. But, you're probably right. That also means that the part that I thought was the main battery disconnect is wrong; that would be the wires to the charger.
The main disconnect must be directly in the center top of the main battery assembly.
Right, from what I've seen of the main battery pack, the disconnect port at the rear seat really is just a 'window' into the top of the battery. The disconnect mechanism is part of the battery pack.

The charger is in the hump behind the rear seats. There's another thread here where someone photographed it nude.

Given the intimacy of these pictures, are you planning to yank the battery pack? :) You would be the first to let it down.

Also, I'm curious about the smear-happy sealant. Why wouldn't they do this at the factory, and what purpose does it serve while being unimportant enough that it can be so sloppy. Strange.

The whole parking brake mechanism seems either overengineered or made complex in haste.. I can't tell which.

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:58 am
by derkraut
Great thread, Tony. Thanks for sharing! :)

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:02 am
by Train
I think he's trying to figure out where to install the aftermarket flux capacitor.

Just keep it under 88, Tony. ;)

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:08 am
by TonyWilliams
GroundLoop wrote: Given the intimacy of these pictures, are you planning to yank the battery pack? :) You would be the first to let it down.

I'd want to read the actual service manual before doing that. I do have jacks that would work, and the center of mass is stamped into the lower main battery case.

They had the battery pack at the "test drive" that I took in October, 2010, and I did take pictures. Seems like a lot of work for limited additional info for me.

The whole parking brake mechanism seems either overengineered or made complex in haste.. I can't tell which.

Or both. There are lots of places on this car to cut weight. It doesn't even look like they made much effort there.