TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Re: Leaf down pothole takes out front & rear drivers side ti

Mon May 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Out of curiosity, what was the alignment settings before and after? I'm curious how much, if any, it threw it out of alignment.
DannyAmes wrote:Leaf is back up and running, hurray...!
Front & rear wheel alignment was performed
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Mon May 23, 2011 10:19 pm

aqn wrote:A tire is like a balloon: it's easier to squish an underinflated balloon. Overinflation probably helps a tire resist deformation (at the expense of comfort, and possibly more wear in the center of the tread).
Also just out of curiosity, what kind of damage does a pothole typically do to a tire? I would assume the damage is done after the tire enters the pothole, and as it encounters the sharp edge trying to leave it. Is it a matter of pinching and tearing the sidewall, or does it actually slice through the belts under the tread? If you will pardon the pun, I could see your explanation cutting both ways. Sidewall failure would seem more likely at a low pressure, but tread failure would seem more likely at a high pressure, since the tire can't deform as much to absorb the energy.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

DannyAmes
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 467

Mon May 23, 2011 10:39 pm

mogur wrote:Out of curiosity, what was the alignment settings before and after? I'm curious how much, if any, it threw it out of alignment.
DannyAmes wrote:Leaf is back up and running, hurray...!
Front & rear wheel alignment was performed
Very good question and my paper work does not seem to indicate any amount one way or the other on the alignment.
I'll call the tire shop and try and figure it out. I would have spoken to the guy who did the work but he left by the time I came near closing time to retrieve the Leaf.
LeafDD - 100% Charge - Gids 266 - measured 6/25/13 (28,690 miles) 94.23% 12 Bars
Blue LEAF In service since 03/08/11 Plate "IM N EV"
Juice 4.5 kW PV 32 Sharp 167 W 2500 Sunnyboys 2005 E7

ERG4ALL
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000404

Tue May 24, 2011 6:12 am

Speaking of alignment, some have complained about "road feel". I was wondering if maybe the LEAF has much less "toe in" on the front wheels than an ICE car. This would improve range at the expense of more "wandering" feel especially in high winds. Anybody have a shop manual to confirm the toe in? :?:
Reserved 4/20/10, Ocean Blue Ordered SL 9/30/10, ESVE Installed 11/22/10, Delivered March 8th, 2011.

DannyAmes
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 467

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Well it cost $390 to replace and align the two tires, what a drag!
Here is the alignment data:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 ... nment.jpg/

Danny
LeafDD - 100% Charge - Gids 266 - measured 6/25/13 (28,690 miles) 94.23% 12 Bars
Blue LEAF In service since 03/08/11 Plate "IM N EV"
Juice 4.5 kW PV 32 Sharp 167 W 2500 Sunnyboys 2005 E7

adrianco
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 5207

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:57 am

Less than a week after we picked up our Leaf, I ran over some metal debris on Sunday 3rd of July and ripped a big hole in the inner side wall on the right rear. After trying to inflate it using the fix a flat kit (I couldn't see how big the hole was) I gave up and drove home slowly, less than a mile.

I took the wheel off and called around, found that the Firestone tire shop in Campbell CA was open at 7:30am on 4th July, and had a tire in stock. Including fitting, tax etc. it came to a little under $200, however we were able to run the car in the local 'hood 4th of July parade later that day.

thups
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 6365

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:00 pm

DannyAmes wrote:Get a distressed call from the wife today while taking kids to school this morning.
She informs me, "I went through a pothole and I have two flat tires". I'm like oh crap I know these Leaf tires are not readily available and did not have enough time to check all the tire dealers in my area and sure enough their going to take 2 days and now going into the weekend really bites as it will be Monday when the tires are delivered and fixed hopefully. It would be nice to have found out in-advance who has these specific tires so if one ends up in a similar dilemma you can decide where to have your Leaf towed, but time was running out.
She claims she was not going fast around 25 MPH. I took some pictures and have filed a report with the county that has jurisdiction of the roadway and also will file a claim. I hope in the future more tire centers stock these 205/55R16 Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 tires I know with Tirerack they want $208.41 with shipping. The tire repair guy is upfront and says he's charging me 20 extra per tire and that checks out. Hopefully the tire pressure sensors aren't damaged. Should know more on Monday when they spin up the new tires and check everything. At leasts I know the low tire pressure alert works.
Had a similiar issue but with no potholes, it might have slighly touched the side walk as I was oulling out after dropping off my kid at school and there was a big gash on the tire and it went flat within minutes...only with 2K miles on it waited over 90 minutes for a tow truck and since the dealer did not carry the same tire had to call costco, researve a smiliar size and ended up spending $160 + something plsy 6 hours of my day wasted waiting on the phone, waiting for a towe truck and than waiting again at costco.....however Nissan CSR has been nice enough atleast listen and since I have send in the receipt and plus pics I am hoping for a positive outcome......however, now this is an additonal anxiety on top of the mileage.... I mean I have a honda and a toyota and never had tire issues so soon.....

EricBayArea
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:16 am

DannyAmes wrote:Where:
The location is in California near Candlestick park of San Francisco on a road used by fans typically leaving the park that would need to head back into San Francisco, its a short bit of road called Harney Way, it is the road that leads you to Hwy 101 north bound (AKA Bayshore Fwy on this section) the pothole is on the left side of the road it is about 2 tenths of a mile before you loop up and around onto the freeway on ramp.
Hey Danny, sorry to hear about this. I was trying to find where it was. Were you heading back to get on 101 North?

Was this the pothole?
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

kballs
Delivery Date: 30 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1341

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:39 pm

thups wrote:
Had a similiar issue but with no potholes, it might have slighly touched the side walk as I was oulling out after dropping off my kid at school and there was a big gash on the tire and it went flat within minutes...only with 2K miles on it waited over 90 minutes for a tow truck and since the dealer did not carry the same tire had to call costco, researve a smiliar size and ended up spending $160 + something plsy 6 hours of my day wasted waiting on the phone, waiting for a towe truck and than waiting again at costco.....however Nissan CSR has been nice enough atleast listen and since I have send in the receipt and plus pics I am hoping for a positive outcome......however, now this is an additonal anxiety on top of the mileage.... I mean I have a honda and a toyota and never had tire issues so soon.....
I barely brushed a curb and gashed the sidewall pretty deeply. I replaced the tires with Goodyear triple treads and have had several light curb brushes with no more than surface scuffs. I gained some tire noise but didn't lose any noticeable range and the tires handle better and seem more durable.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:31 am

These are the drawbacks of lightweight fuel saver tires... or in the case of the Leaf, kWh saver tires.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”