Can you add third timer to Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

The Leaf has only 2 timers. My off-peak weekday time is 8:pM on day1 through 1PM on day2. 1-8PM on weekdays is peak. Weekend is off peak.. So I use 12am-11:59PM weekend for 1 timer. For the other timer, if I use 8PM start and 1PM stop on weekdays, that will cause a problem if I plug in after midnight on a weekday because the timer is not supposed to be on until 8PM that day, when it should have been on from 8PM of the previous day. But it doesn't work across different days. One way to work around it is to have 2 timers on the weekdays: 12am start through 1pm stop, and 8pm start through 11:59pm stop.

But that would require 3 timers (2 for weekdays and 1 for weekend) and we only have 2. I need to save 1 timer for weekend because it also controls the 80% setting. That only leaves me with 1 timer for the weekdays and I need 2 for reason explained above.

Any suggestion on how to implement this? Right now I have 1 timer for weekdays from 12am through 1pm, and 1 timer for weekend.

How do I add another on-off timer for 8-11:59p?

garygid said:
Sun, M, T, W, Th : 8pm to 1pm : Workday%
F, Sat : 8pm to 8pm : Weekend %

Does that work?
No, because for example, if I plug in at 12:05am on Monday and want the charger on immediately, the timer doesn't turn on the charger until 8pm that Monday night.

The fundamental problem is that the On time at 8pm is after the OFF time at 1pm. The only way to set this and have it work (that I can think of) is to have M, T, W, Th, F to start from 12am to 1pm, then start again from 8pm. That would require 2 timers for the same day.

I suppose I can use both timers for weekdays and no timer for weekend. If there's no timer for Sat & Sun, will the charger turn on at all when it's plugged in? Even if it does turn on if there's no timer for weekend, I can't specify the 80% charge option without putting a timer on it.

Volusiano said:
I suppose I can use both timers for weekdays and no timer for weekend. If there's no timer for Sat & Sun, will the charger turn on at all when it's plugged in? Even if it does turn on if there's no timer for weekend, I can't specify the 80% charge option without putting a timer on it.
That's what I'd do in your shoes, but I prefer 100% charge on the weekends. Otherwise I'd do as you're doing now and ignore that 8PM to midnite slot and just set the weekday timer from 12:10AM to 1PM. Use override if you need to start charging before midnight.

That said, as far as I'm concerned, the timers are broken in this instance. If the plugin time is inside the window, it should start, even if the start of the window was yesterday.

Do you really need to start charging before midnight? My super off peak is 12-5 am daily and I've never had to charge more than 5 hours. Set up all day timers 100% weekdays and 80% weekends. Don't plug in until after 8pm on weekdays. Also, if you have a Blink, it has separate weekend weekday schedules. You might want to look at the EVSE timer capabilities.

Have you tested this malfunction, or are you just guessing that it will not work?

Setting a timer to Start at 10 pm, AND End at 4 am (of course, it means the next day):
It should work to plug in any time during the 10 PM to 4 AM interval.

But, you are saying that it DOES NOT start when YOU plug in after midnight?

jcesare said:
Do you really need to start charging before midnight? My super off peak is 12-5 am daily and I've never had to charge more than 5 hours. Set up all day timers 100% weekdays and 80% weekends. Don't plug in until after 8pm on weekdays. Also, if you have a Blink, it has separate weekend weekday schedules. You might want to look at the EVSE timer capabilities.
Yes, my kids may take the car out at 10pm to friends house or whatever until past midnight (school's out) so I'd like to be able to start charging as soon as the off-peak rate kicks in at 8pm. It's all about having it ready to go any time with max charge available but still observe the peak/off-peak constraint.

I have no problem with the Blink timer because I can program as many timers on the Blink as I want. So I can do one timer on weekday from 12am-1pm and another timer on weekday for 8pm-11:59pm. Then another timer on weekend for 12am-11:59pm.

I suppose I can program the Leaf timer to be on all the time at 80% and use the Blink timer to control when to actually deliver the juice. I think that'll work.

garygid said:
Have you tested this malfunction, or are you just guessing that it will not work?

Setting a timer to Start at 10 pm, AND End at 4 am (of course, it means the next day):
It should work to plug in any time during the 10 PM to 4 AM interval.

But, you are saying that it DOES NOT start when YOU plug in after midnight?
Actually I didn't program it like you suggested (didn't know until today). I just had 8pm-1pm weekdays and 12am-11:59pm weekend. So this wouldn't work on Monday morning because there's no start after the stop at 11:59pm Sunday night. So it waits until the next start at 8pm Monday. I'm not guessing because it actually happened to me on Monday

In the case that the end time is equal to or before the start time, are you sure it means the next day and not the same day? If that's the case, I think
S,M,T,W,Th 8-1pm
F, Sa 8-8pm
like you suggested will work.

I just assume that the end time is for the same day, that's why I programmed mine like before. But will try your suggestion and see. Thanks!

With the way you had it programed for Sunday, it would not start early
Monday morning. That is the expected behavior for that timer setting.

The new timer settings should do what you want. Cheers.

garygid said:
With the way you had it programed for Sunday, it would not start early
Monday morning. That is the expected behavior for that timer setting.

The new timer settings should do what you want. Cheers.
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Back