evchels

Re: Meeting with Nissan, Phoenix, Jan 8, 2013, 6pm, drinks p

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 pm

leafkabob wrote:
mwalsh wrote: Call me an old skeptic. But while meeting with Phoenix owners and listening to their concerns may have been on the agenda, I think the primary reason for the event was to release details of the 2013 LEAF. No coincidence, methinks, that it was decided to advance release to the press too, a couple of weeks ahead of scheduled. Reason? Well just check the web - gazillions of posts about the 2013 specs and just 2 (that I've found) about the meeting with Phoenix owners (which would have been a big-deal normally). Well played, Nissan.
Whether they intended for it play out like this or not, it appears to have done so. It seems to me that even within this thread a larger percentage of posts are about the 2013 specs, rather than the primary focus of the Town Hall meeting.
The meeting wasn't a ruse to show the 2013 car- Tim G just thought it would be cool for you guys to get to check it out, and even better if it was a little before the "official" spec announcement (which has long been planned to happen before Detroit; it wasn't "pulled up" b/c of this event). Some of you know Tim and that this is the sort of thing he likes to do- same w him pressing to do the driver events in NorCal on Saturday. As it was, I know some journalists gave them a hard time about it, but they thought it was a nice thing to do for the drivers.

However, I think the fact that so many posts are about the 2013 vs the meeting is because there wasn't a lot of "new" info in the meeting. The value was more in the direct conversation and having them hear your concerns. I do think many now understand that the Nissan folks are more sincere than they thought, but I suspect that in terms of actual info, Nissan learned more than many of the drivers. And I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Not to go too OT, but http://priuschat.com/threads/low-rollin ... ist.92778/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a LRR tire discussion thread. I'm no tire connoisseur/enthusiast so I can't really comment or summarize.

Michelin Energy Saver A/S is a "Priuschat.com favorite"...
Thanks! That thread looks like it will take some time to digest! I'll have to come back to it as our tires get older.

It's interesting that they don't list the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires in the OP under the 215/50/R17 size, but they do have it elsewhere. Does the OP only included tires that have been reviewed in the thread?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... aver+A%2FS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; doesn't show 215/50/17 for that tire.

The thread doesn't review tires, it just lists what we can find specs on.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Weatherman wrote:
myleaf wrote: It was mentioned that the LEAF battery is air cooled -- similar to liquid cooling. An example mentioned is that the human body is air cooled.
Bad example. Our bodies are cooled mostly by evaporation of water. Vastly more effective than simple air cooling.
Also blood (which is mostly water) is pumped around the body to move heat away from hot spots and to warm up cool spots. So the human body is primarily water cooled with a air component at the outermost layer.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:35 pm

If it can be shown across a broad population of cars that LEAFs are losing capacity faster in hot climates than they are in cooler climates, and LEAFs are losing capacity faster than Teslas and Volts, at some point they have to accept the story the data tells.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:35 pm

evchels wrote:It may have been helpful for me to help moderate with Jeff so I could help dig into certain questions and topics, I don't know.
Hi Chelsea,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for helping organize the town hall. While I'm disappointed with how it turned out (in terms of lack of focusing on a meaningful resolution for Phoenix and hot climate owners), I do appreciate the chance to have such an event to attend, and your effort in helping organizing it. It's better than having no event.

I must say that when I heard that you and Tony and Phil and George were coming out, I envisioned that you guys would sit on a panel up there together with the Nissan execs to help moderate the event with them and maybe help drive some of the more important questions that might have been remissed to be asked by the audience up front so they could be addressed before we ran out of time, to help keep the focus of the meeting on how to solve the battery heat issue to AZ owners' satisfaction. A prime example of this is that if you guys were on a panel up there, maybe you could have initiated the question to ask the audience to find out from them what it would take to solve the heat issue to their satisfaction since Nissan never bothered to ask.

Unfortunately, that was not the case, and you guys were scattered around in the audience, and I felt like we lack representation for LEAF owners up there on the stage. Because of that, I think it contributed to the meeting quickly losing its main focus and too much time was spent wasted on discussing the accuracy of the bars and the specifics of the warranty. But hello!, if the 9 bar warranty is not good enough, why bother discussing the specifics of that warranty anyway? The focus should have been to find out and discuss what remedies the Phoenix audience would find acceptable and get the response from Nissan on whether they can deliver the remedy that AZ owners want to see or not.
Last edited by Volusiano on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sirenbrian
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 400827

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Would it be possible to get answers in writing to some of these questions? Perhaps the "Ask Nissan" forum could be revived, instead of having meetings in person?

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:39 pm

dhanson865 wrote:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... aver+A%2FS doesn't show 215/50/17 for that tire.
Perhaps not, but Phil posted a picture of a tire with "Energy" and "215/50R17" on the sidewall. It looks like there could be more words following the word "Energy".
dhanson865 wrote:The thread doesn't review tires, it just lists what we can find specs on.
Thanks! Hopefully we can get some reviews here.
Last edited by RegGuheert on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

evchels

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:42 pm

sirenbrian wrote:Would it be possible to get answers in writing to some of these questions? Perhaps the "Ask Nissan" forum could be revived, instead of having meetings in person?
Yes. In addition to the video coming out, I will work on posting the answers I can in the questions thread I started, and add to them as I/we get more from Nissan.

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 pm

brg2290 wrote:Phil, just curious, why do you think the emergency brake change? Is the foot actuation mechanical...and less expensive? Was this a cost cutting measure? Or have there been problems with the original?
I think the electrically-actuated solution was a stop-gap because the leaf was rushed and their normal handbrake system couldn't be used, because of the battery location. Now that they've had time to work out a mechanical system, it's better, because it saves cost, weight, and is more reliable and safer.

I'd much rather have that mechanical system any day!

FYI: The mechanical system still activates the rear wheels, not the front.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

TonyWilliams

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:57 pm

DarkDave wrote: My bet is that part of the reason for changing the parking brake pedal was to move the brake from the rear to the front wheels to make room for the inductive charger on future MY Leafs. I didn't take a look under the 2013 to see if it's true or not, but on 2011/2012 the brake actuator takes up room where the inductive charger would probably be. I agree it would also reduce the costs to change from an electronically activated brake to a foot and cable powered brake for the front wheels.
The brake cables run along the center top of the battery in tubes, passing both sides of the main battery fuse, to the rear wheels.
Last edited by TonyWilliams on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”