TonyWilliams

Re: Meeting with Nissan, Phoenix, Jan 8, 2013, 6pm, drinks p

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:03 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:If it can be shown across a broad population of cars that LEAFs are losing capacity faster in hot climates than they are in cooler climates, and LEAFs are losing capacity faster than Teslas and Volts, at some point they have to accept the story the data tells.
I don't know why we focus on this "accepting". They know the issues, whether they publically state them or not.

As things stand now, the big hole in "the plan" is this late summer, when we have 100's of multi-bar losers who don't meet the 66.24% capacity threshold of 9 to 8 capacity bars, yet their cars are 20-30% reduced in range, and nobody told them that when they bought the car.

Again, it doesn't matter if Nissan publically ackowledges that heat bakes batteries.

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Personally, and as an experienced EV Engineer, I agree with Nissan for choosing passive cooling. I do not think in the future we will see much active cooling for EV battery systems.

The chemistry will improve so as to be more heat tolerant, and the problems we have now will disappear!

If Nissan had installed active cooling, the Leaf would be heavier, have less range, and be significantly more costly. In addition, Active cooling requires power, which means it must be plugged in most of the time or even more drastic range reduction will occur.

Keep in mind, it's not actually proven there is much actual degradation! I believe it's a combination of a small amount of degradation combined with instrumentation errors (failures), and that once Nissan corrects the software in the LBC (Battery ECU), apparent "lost" capacity will return. Let's at least give them time to fix this before condemning them!

Just because a Leaf owner cannot drive as far, doesn't mean the battery has a fault. The LBC determines all charging and discharging limits, and if it's being "overprotective" like I suspect, once they correct this, range will magically return. If it doesn't, Nissan will fix it. Regardless, I'm convinced Andy was sincere and Nissan is going to make this right.

-Phil
Last edited by Ingineer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

myleaf
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000471

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 pm

evchels wrote:
sirenbrian wrote:Would it be possible to get answers in writing to some of these questions? Perhaps the "Ask Nissan" forum could be revived, instead of having meetings in person?
Yes. In addition to the video coming out, I will work on posting the answers I can in the questions thread I started, and add to them as I/we get more from Nissan.
Can Jeff Kuhlman (HAWK0630) run through the list and provide answers to some of the questions ?
Leaf Number 471 2/2011
5/2017 69,900 miles
"Never met an electron I did not like"

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm

RegGuheert wrote:Perhaps not, but Phil posted a picture of a tire with "Energy" and "215/50R17" on the sidewall. It looks like there could be more words following the word "Energy".
It reads "ENERGY Saver A/S" on the sidewall. Here are my 3 tire pictures:

I've got a Hi-res version of all of them if anyone needs more info.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

EdmondLeaf

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Ingineer wrote:Keep in mind, it's not actually proven there is much actual degradation! I believe it's a combination of a small amount of degradation combined with instrumentation errors (failures), and that once Nissan corrects the software in the LBC (Battery ECU), apparent "lost" capacity will return.
-Phil
That is great new.
Last edited by EdmondLeaf on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Chels,
with regard to your post at 12:57 today:
it is nice to have a pro working at this.

you write well, you are clear and summarize with efficiency and accuracy, you know how to project integrity, and you seem to be sufficiently stubborn and subtle enough to deal with a corporate environment. Now, if we could just swap "get results from" for "deal with", we all might see some progress.

good luck on the questions and getting the answers.
i really get that the human exchange in AZ was an important part of having real communication. I would like to think that real communication would lead to changes at Nissan for those of us who bought the LEAF in 2011.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

myleaf
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000471

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Ingineer wrote:Personally, and as an experienced EV Engineer, I agree with Nissan for choosing passive cooling. I do not think in the future we will see much active cooling for EV battery systems.

The chemistry will improve so as to be more heat tolerant, and the problems we have now will disappear!

-Phil
I agree, active cooling always seemed like a bandaid to me.

But from the town hall meeting it seems that heat tolerant battery chemistries will not be available (at Nissan) in the near future
Leaf Number 471 2/2011
5/2017 69,900 miles
"Never met an electron I did not like"

TonyWilliams

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Ingineer wrote:Just because a Leaf owner cannot drive as far, doesn't mean the battery has a fault.
Certainly, that sentiment was expressed at the meeting by several. They really don't care about bars and batteries, they just want the car to go the distance it is supposed to.

DarkDave
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0714

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Ingineer wrote: Keep in mind, it's not actually proven there is much actual degradation! I believe it's a combination of a small amount of degradation combined with instrumentation errors (failures), and that once Nissan corrects the software in the LBC (Battery ECU), apparent "lost" capacity will return. Let's at least give them time to fix this before condemning them!

-Phil
To me job #1 should be to fix the software. From the town hall meeting, it sounds like applying the MY 2013 software to our cars is not going to be fix we are hoping for. I've completely given up on using the GoM and only use my gidmeter and Tony's range chant to determine how far I can drive given my car's degraded battery. I think it would engender a lot of good will and confidence if Nissan could make the gauge as accurate as possible for both range and battery health. I don't want a pessimistic gauge at all, ever. I want it to be accurate. Just doing that would give people more confidence in their cars, especially with a degraded battery.

In my car, if I go by the gauge I should never be able to drive more than 45 miles ever given my daily commuting habits on an 80% charge. I have routinely proven that I can actually drive to 55-58 miles using the gidmeter and range chart.
2011 Glacier Pearl SL-e
Leaf delivered: 3/31/11
25,450 miles, all Arizona desert
Lost 4th bar Jan 5th, 2015 at 24532 miles
New "Lizard" battery installed 2/26/2015

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 pm

DarkDave wrote:... Tony's range chant...
Freud?
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”