Battery Replacement Program Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBrockman

Hi everyone. Brian Brockman from Nissan Communications again.

I know many here on the forum have been looking for information on LEAF battery replacement since Andy Palmer committed that to you. Below is the announcement of our battery replacement program, which was developed with feedback that Nissan collected from owners like you and other prospective LEAF customers.

In a nutshell, what we heard was that some owners wanted the option to update their pack technology and/or wanted continued assurance from Nissan on battery capacity like we offer with a new LEAF. And, of course, to offer this at a reasonable price.

The program offers LEAF owners the opportunity to replace your pack with the latest available and compatible battery technology, starting with 12 bars capacity, for about $100 per month. Once in the program, Nissan provides assurance that the battery will maintain at least 9 bars capacity for entire time the vehicle is in the program.

I know there will be questions, and I (along with others from Nissan) will do our best to answer them here. As always, we welcome your feedback.

Thank you.

--

NISSAN ANNOUNCES BATTERY REPLACEMENT PROGRAM FOR LEAF

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (June 20, 2013) – Nissan, the world leader in zero-emission vehicles, today announced plans to offer a battery replacement program for U.S. LEAF customers who wish to replace their original equipment, lithium-ion battery pack.

The program, which will begin during the first half of 2014, will work in tandem with the Nissan standard battery warranty for LEAF – which includes industry-leading five-year, 60,000 mile coverage against battery capacity loss (below approximately 70%) and 8 years/100,000 miles against defects – to provide multiple layers of assurance for electric vehicle owners.

Erik Gottfried, Nissan’s director of Electric Vehicle Sales and Marketing, said: “Nissan anticipates that the great majority of our current LEAF drivers will never need this battery replacement option. However, this program is yet another example of Nissan’s commitment to deliver peace of mind for our continually growing community of LEAF drivers.”
Nissan conducted a global survey of LEAF owners and prospective electric vehicle customers and reviewed publicly available industry data to help shape the replacement proposal. Owners and prospective owners voiced a preference for a monthly payment program, and that they wanted assurances that the battery will maintain its capacity at a certain level.

“Technology is evolving and battery prices are projected to decline as EVs become increasingly mainstream,” said Gottfried. “Therefore, this new battery program today affords more flexibility for the future so that customers can both upgrade to the latest available technology for their LEAF and enjoy more predictable vehicle operating costs.”
The battery replacement option is being modeled after aspects of both competitor and Nissan Europe battery leasing programs. The majority of the EVs bought in Europe involve battery leasing separate from the vehicle.

All LEAF batteries installed under this program will enjoy coverage similar to the terms of standard battery coverage under the Nissan New Electric Vehicle Limited Warranty and be assured to maintain at least 9 bars capacity, or approximately 70 percent and protection from defects in materials or workmanship for the time they own their LEAF and remain in the battery program. If necessary, Nissan will replace the battery with a new or remanufactured battery to restore capacity at or above a minimum of 9 bars, much like the existing expanded battery capacity warranty.

The Nissan LEAF battery replacement program pricing is consistent with Europe and will be approximately $100 per month. The replacement program will officially launch during the first half of 2014, and all Nissan LEAF vehicles will be eligible. It will be administered by Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.

“The battery replacement option will provide the peace of mind that customers have an economical option should they choose to replace the battery for whatever reason,” says Gottfried.

Nissan will announce additional details of the battery replacement program later this year, including other global markets.

Well it is something - does this mean I can't have my battery exchanged to newer technology or similar in the event there is no new technology until my battery displays 8 bars or less? What is the plan for those of us that need more than that - a battery with 8 bars is just as useless to me as one with 10.

What happens at the end of ownership? Is this product replacement or does the pack belong to Nissan and is a separate part from the car itself. In other words, who owns the pack at the time the vehicle is sold?

Should the newer technology mentioned come with a larger range is it Nissan's intention to charge a higher price than $100?

I read this a few times and am still confused.

What does paying $1,200/year get you that the "replace-battery-if-it-drops-below-70%" warranty does not?

Weatherman said:

What does paying $1,200/year get you that the "replace-battery-if-it-drops-below-70%" warranty does not?

I got the impression it was like an extended warranty - once your main battery warranty runs out, you can pay $100 per month to maintain that warranty. But you're right.. very confusing. I'm not 100% sure either.

I guess this warranty is really good for the person does a lot of mileage somebody that's going to do 30,000 miles a year

I don't think you can start if you have less than 12 bars you have to start paying now before you lose that first bar

adric22 said:
Weatherman said:

I got the impression it was like an extended warranty - once your main battery warranty runs out, you can pay $100 per month to maintain that warranty. But you're right.. very confusing. I'm not 100% sure either.

Let me help clarify - we don't want to sell you a replacement battery and won't give you a price for one.

I assume that the $100/month would have to start when the five years/60K miles warranty ends. So, if I plan to keep the car for another ten years beyond that I can pay $12,000 to keep the battery at nine capacity bars or better?

I am underwhelmed by this.

First, I agree with all of the previous posters. this is totally confusing. and the comments show that we are confused. it isnt even clear whether you can get the new battery program if you are at 10, 11 or 12 bars and have lost some range.

Moreover, are you saying that there is no way to purchase a new battery and OWN it? (1) This is a complete bait and switch from what we were promised, and that, to be colloquial, sucks.
i dont lease. i dont want, like or ever do monthly payments for things other than some services such as utilities.

i want to buy the part and get value for my old part, which is recyclable. I can do that with the 12-volt but not the operating battery? (2)
if I am in an accident, and the battery needs replacement, there is a price for the part. Well, WHAT IS IT? (3)

as an aside, if I decide to lease the new battery in 2014, and the new battery loses range or a bar so that i want to replace it in 2016, can i re-up again for the lease program and ask for a new one instead of keep paying for a degraded battery at $100 a month? (4)

please answer these 4 questions. i have numbered them for convenience.

and to be clear, i think this answer is incomplete, a cheat on your promise, and it does not answer the most basic question of what is the price for the part (a battery) and what is the trad-in for the old one?

the one thing this does appear to deal with is to get us out of the dealership-greed model.
and the $100 price, if that doesnt change, might be reasonable depending on what rights you have to trade in the leased battery under a re-up program to get a fresh one.
i would not want to sign up for a new battery -- because i have lost 10 miles in range that i need to do a regular drive -- then find out in two years i cant again get a new battery to make that trip.

adric22 said:
I got the impression it was like an extended warranty - once your main battery warranty runs out, you can pay $100 per month to maintain that warranty.

That does appear to be it. Pay $1,200/year and the "replace-battery-if-it-drops-below-70%" warranty lasts for as long as you own the car and continue to pay.

The next, obvious, question is whether you can wait until the very end of the standard warranty period to opt-in, even though your battery is already down to 9 bars, at that point.

Sounds like an amazingly cheap battery replacement.
The intent is to make you not have to worry about the cost, make it really cheap to get decent battery capacity. $100/mo is ridiculously cheap. If you need a new battery now, you get it for $100 and covered as long as you keep paying. Even after 3years that's only $3600. Much less than a new battery, maybe half. And it sounds like the replacement might be a better battery years down the road.

The whole point is to make it affordable to replace the battery. This is much cheaper than i would have expected.

Folks that are still complaining simply want or need more range and maybe the Leaf was never the right car for them. If you need more than 10 bar capacity then you're too close to the limit. Wait for a car with a bigger battery.

There are plenty of details missing. Can you sign up, pay $100, get a replacement battery then drop out? When can you join? Does it have to be at purchase, or after the battery performance warranty runs out?

Will be interesting to see what Tesla announces tonight. It might also be a battery lease option.

Weatherman said:

I think it leaves the option of getting a new battery pack for those who would have already exceeded the 60k mileage limit of the battery capacity warranty. There's a few here who probably have already done so. EDIT: It appears that for those owners whose cars don't drop below the minimum 9 bars until after the battery capacity warranty has already expired, this is a way for them to get a new battery pack as well.

I think it's also important for future Leaf sales, since now it gives people an option who would prefer to own the car but lease the battery (Phoenix/Vegas folks for example). Smart already has an $80/month battery lease as an option.

I can see that this has a place, but it's not what I was looking for, personally.

I would like to simply know the cost of a new battery pack, in cash, to be purchased at a time of my choosing, without any restrictions. In 2015 if there is a 40kWH pack available, I would like the option of getting it even if my 2012 pack is still at 11 or 12 bars.

In France they have a price, $79 Euros a month

http://www.nissan.fr/FR/fr/vehicle/electric-vehicles/leaf/prices-and-equipment/prices-and-specifications.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

charge said:
Let me help clarify - we don't want to sell you a replacement battery and won't give you a price for one.

I'm disappointed. 9 bars isn't enough. I want 13. I want a better than new pack.

I will now persue an aftermarket battery custom made to work with the leafs systems. Good day, sir.

Tesla does not need to make an announcement since they have an unlimited millage warranty.

dm33 said:
Will be interesting to see what Tesla announces tonight. It might also be a battery lease option.

dm33 said:
...Folks that are still complaining simply want or need more range and maybe the Leaf was never the right car for them. If you need more than 10 bar capacity then you're too close to the limit. Wait for a car with a bigger battery.

And when that bigger battery comes out, I would just like to know: "how much"? Without playing any actuarial games or having to wait my existing battery to be completely worn out before I'm "allowed" to get the improved tech. Sure, I can turn in my lease and get the new tech, but what is so hard about simply setting a price?

Can you imagine continuing to pay $100 a month while you go along with your 9-bar battery?

Maybe I can start paying a monthly premium for all my other worn-out stuff.... :roll:

Nubo said:
I can see that this has a place, but it's not what I was looking for, personally.

I would like to simply know the cost of a new battery pack, in cash, to be purchased at a time of my choosing, without any restrictions. In 2015 if there is a 40kWH pack available, I would like the option of getting it even if my 2012 pack is still at 11 or 12 bars.

exactly.
and not what we were promised: a price for a new battery.

Weatherman said:
adric22 said:
I got the impression it was like an extended warranty - once your main battery warranty runs out, you can pay $100 per month to maintain that warranty.

That does appear to be it. Pay $1,200/year and the "replace-battery-if-it-drops-below-70%" warranty lasts for as long as you own the car and continue to pay.

The next, obvious, question is whether you can wait until the very end of the standard warranty period to opt-in, even though your battery is already down to 9 bars, at that point.
That's my understanding also. I don't intend to pay a $100 monthly "insurance" premium until after my battery gets to 8 bars. At that time, I'll make a decision on what would be the most financially beneficial for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back