Page 118 of 132

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:14 pm
by LeftieBiker
The little digital speedo, buried in the dash, is supplanted by the Pro Pilot display when that is used, IIRC. It is not very useful compared to the deleted eyebrow display.

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:54 am
by DaveinOlyWA
SageBrush wrote:
jdcbomb wrote: Full price at $6,500 seems like it's not worth it.
I agree that Nissan is screwing LEAF owners but I'd still think about a replacement. $6,500 for another ~ 5 years of use is a lot cheaper than $25,000 for ~ 8 - 10 years.
Not sure I can agree with that. My 2018 if it degrades at the current rate will still have over 100 miles of range at 100,000 miles. So if buying new (with better tech) There is a 6 year zero interest loan Nissan is offering and could mean a usable range easily extending 10+ years.

Nissan has done several things "not so good" but keeping the price the same while increasing features is definitely one of the things they have done right.

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:08 pm
by SageBrush
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
jdcbomb wrote: Full price at $6,500 seems like it's not worth it.
I agree that Nissan is screwing LEAF owners but I'd still think about a replacement. $6,500 for another ~ 5 years of use is a lot cheaper than $25,000 for ~ 8 - 10 years.
Not sure I can agree with that. My 2018 if it degrades at the current rate will still have over 100 miles of range at 100,000 miles.
Too many IFs in your argument. I thought about it also and decided to use the NIssan warranty instead, particularly given Nissan's track record of engineering to the warranty. Also, your speculative argument conveniently leaves out the possible (may I say extremely probable ?) class leading technological depreciation.

As for you, remind me again why you lease ? You have already agreed with me by your actions.

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:14 pm
by DaveinOlyWA
SageBrush wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
SageBrush wrote: I agree that Nissan is screwing LEAF owners but I'd still think about a replacement. $6,500 for another ~ 5 years of use is a lot cheaper than $25,000 for ~ 8 - 10 years.
Not sure I can agree with that. My 2018 if it degrades at the current rate will still have over 100 miles of range at 100,000 miles.
Too many IFs in your argument. I thought about it also and decided to use the NIssan warranty instead, particularly given Nissan's track record of engineering to the warranty. Also, your speculative argument conveniently leaves out the possible (may I say extremely probable ?) class leading technological depreciation.

As for you, remind me again why you lease ? You have already agreed with me by your actions.
Ah you know why I lease and I have another 29 months to change my mind. FWIW; My plan before I got the 2018 was getting a CPO LR T3 but that accident sidetracked that plan a bit... but its still on the board ;)

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:16 pm
by SageBrush
DaveinOlyWA wrote: Ah you know why I lease
I have it filed under 'paid a lot for a hedge.'

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:47 pm
by solartim
jdcbomb wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
jdcbomb wrote: Full price at $6,500 seems like it's not worth it.
I agree that Nissan is screwing LEAF owners .......
........
Update: So I just called and their immediate answer is no warranty replacement or financial assistance will be offered. No way to escalate. Pricing is still $6,500 + labor + tax. I guess I could try and send a note to Nissan Consumer Affairs, but I think that may be a waste of time and effort also...
I was just quoted $8800 for a new battery for my 2011 Leaf at Mossy in SD. We're down to 6 bars and get 40 miles range. The good thing is my wife only works 8 miles away, the only question is how soon to trade it in. Very jealous of my neighbors, who leased theirs.

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:14 pm
by fotajoye
Nissan built 300,000 plus first generation Leafs; . They have made no effort to improve the range of these first gen cars; and, now are charging an ever-increasing, outrageous price for a replacement traction battery.

Their policy is to write them off and stick the customers with the loss...remember how badly Nissan treated their customers when you buy/lease your next car...tell your family and friends.

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:58 am
by GetOffYourGas
Weren't replacement batteries supposed to get cheaper over time? At least that's what a lot of people seemed to assume back in 2010-2012 when the first Leaf was introduced.

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:28 am
by LeftieBiker
GetOffYourGas wrote:Weren't replacement batteries supposed to get cheaper over time? At least that's what a lot of people seemed to assume back in 2010-2012 when the first Leaf was introduced.
They probably do cost Nissan less now than they did in 2011. The question should have been "Cheaper for whom...?"

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:09 am
by SageBrush
GetOffYourGas wrote:Weren't replacement batteries supposed to get cheaper over time? At least that's what a lot of people seemed to assume back in 2010-2012 when the first Leaf was introduced.
That was just wishful thinking on the part of buyers. I think the issue is that EV tech changes too rapidly for the manufacturers or 3rd parties to support older generations profitably, at a price we want to pay. Compound that by battery size, weight and bulk, and degradation on the shelf.

Heck, just the installation cost at a Nissan dealer is ~ $2000