2016 LEAF Specifications

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

The LEAF is the best-selling 100-percent electric vehicle in the United States and it took a big leap forward for 2016, becoming the first affordable all-electric car to offer more than 100 miles of EPA-estimated range on a single charge.

Now standard on all 2016 Nissan LEAF SV and LEAF SL models, the new 30 kWh battery provides an EPA-estimated 107-mile driving range* on a fully charged battery. LEAF S models come with a 24 kWh battery rated at 84 miles on a full charge, giving buyers a choice in affordability and range.

In addition, the new battery offers improved charging performance. The battery in LEAF SV and SL can be quick-charged to 80 percent (from the low battery charge warning) in about 30 minutes, providing about 22 percent more miles of range compared to a 30-minute quick charge on previous LEAF models. Charging on a normal home charging system (Level 2, 240V) is estimated to take about six hours with the 6.6 kW onboard charger.

The new 30 kWh battery design adds capacity without increasing battery package size by improving the cell structure of the laminated lithium-ion battery cells. Improved electrode material with revised chemistry results in higher power density and enhanced battery durability upon charge and discharge.

While the 24 kWh battery is composed of four cells per module (192 cells total), the new 30 kWh battery’s modules contain eight newly designed cells per module (192 cells total). Unlike conventional cylindrical batteries, the thin, compact laminated cells offer more flexibility in packaging and design applications. The 30 kWh battery weighs just 46 pounds more than the 24 kWh battery and has the same battery pack size and footprint.

'16LEAF%20Spec-01.png

'16LEAF%20Spec-03.png

'16LEAF%20Spec-04.png

'16LEAF%20Spec-05.png

'16LEAF%20Spec-06.png

'16LEAF%20Spec-07.png

The 2016 Nissan LEAF has a starting price of $34,200 for the SV model and $36,790 for LEAF SL.

LEAF S models continue to be equipped with a 24 kWh battery with an EPA-estimated range of 84* miles. Starting price for 2016 Nissan LEAF S grade remains $29,010. All models qualify for federal tax incentives of $7500.

Whoa sweet. Effectively the same prices when considering the standard QC port on the SV. 2016 adds 25% more range and a 100,000 mile capacity warranty.

I wonder if the 30 kWh packs have the eNV's TMS to allow for that capacity warranty.

Edit: CARWINGS is dead! NissanConnect EV must be 3G or better I suppose, and the S moves to a 5" LCD. Heated rear seats are no longer standard across the range.

I hope the excessive capacity loss warranty for the 30kwh pack doesn't change to be something like: less than xx mile range, (which equals a 24kwh pack with 4 bar loss.) Otherwise, if it is based on a similar percentage as in the past, it sounds pretty good.

I'd say the biggest news here is longer capacity warranty for the 30kWh pack, which seems like an indirect acknowledgement that the 24kWh packs are still crap.

Ahhh... interesting, CHAdeMO inlet now are standard on SV and SL. That's good, as it looks like you can now get both CHAdeMO AND premium package on the SV, once again.

Valdemar said:
Any info how negative is the outlook for the 30kWh pack retrofit into older models?
The fact that it fits in the same footprint, is sold alongside cars w/24kWh pack and both have 192 cells, are all positives. But other than that, I am waiting for more knowledgable reponses to this question as well.

Firetruck41 said:
The fact that it fits in the same footprint, is sold alongside cars w/24kWh pack and both have 192 cells, are all positives. But other than that, I am waiting for more knowledgable reponses to this question as well.
Yep, it sure sounds like it should physically fit just fine...

drees said:
Firetruck41 said:
Yep, it sure sounds like it should physically fit just fine...

I'm sure if backwards compatibility is a no-go the reason will be not a technical one.

I wonder if the 30 kwh models will still report gids (or something like it). If so... I guess we can expect about 351 to 358 gids on a full charge on a new battery?

I have a callback request from consumer affairs regarding purchasing the 30kWh pack. Said they'd get back to me by tomorrow

If the SV $1,900 price increase is all due to the additional 6 kWh, that is a pricing of $316.67 per kWh.

Probably about right for Nissan's real production cost.

Means the $5,499 24 kWh battery is being sold ~28% below cost.

It would be nice if Nissan would offer to sell 30 kWh pack for earlier vehicles.

But they have been unwilling to do much to fix errors in the earlier LEAFs, especially if it involved software.

Hard to see them being willing to write software to put 30 kWh pack in earlier vehicles :(

Tim, it would be a very good engineering decision to make the onboard computers accept a given bms signal as long as it is compatible. I would also guess that the capacity reporting is done by the bms (on the battery) and that since there have been pictures of a variety of packs tested with the older leafs that it probably doesn't matter.

Nissan would have a hard time PR wise if in 3 years when merely 10% (~20,000 drivers) of their user base wanted replacements, they had to revert to old tech. No way. They are going to make whatever fits in the battery enclosure work with any first gen leaf

From a practicality standpoint, maybe they are putting off refreshing the old leaf firmware for people to try to push the chaos until when they can say... Oh... Sorry the new firmware is only available for the 30kWh pack.. Would you like to buy one?

Back