cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: New Leaf ProPilot

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Wasn't sure where I should post this.

Someone posted this in the Seattle Leaf FB group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8qm_AfTM0
It's 19.5 minutes and I haven't watched more than 30 seconds of it yet.
AutoNetwork
Published on Dec 12, 2017
2018 Nissan LEAF electric was introduced to invited journalists in San Francisco, CA. and Yountsville, CA 12.7-8.17. The Pro Pilot Assist features were presented by Andy Christensen, Technical Center.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:28 am

Skip the first two minutes. Then consider skipping most of the rest.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:49 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Skip the first two minutes. Then consider skipping most of the rest.
LOL! That bad, huh? Maybe I'll watch sped up in the background.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:42 pm

The reviewer below confirms what I thought likely from a much shorter test drive.

Pro Pilot Assist is quite effective at doing what a level two semi-autonomous system system can do, and is also unlikely to give drivers the dangerously false impression that you can depend on it to do anything more.
Long-Term 2018 Nissan Leaf: Electric Autonomy—Putting Nissan’s Pro Pilot Assist to the Test

The good, the bad and the merely irritating of semi-autonomous driving

The autonomous driving experience has been, up until recently, an expensive technology reserved for luxury cars. Among others, Nissan is working to bring partial autonomous driving to lower-priced machines. Nissan’s ProPilot Assist is part of a technology package that cost just $650 on our long-term Leaf. That’s a ridiculously good deal. The Leaf’s tech package also includes automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, intelligent lane intervention, an electronic parking brake and high beam assist. ProPilot Assist is also available on the Nissan Rogue as well as Infiniti’s new QX50 crossover.

Okay, so ProPilot is cheap and available (like me when I was single) but is it any good?

... the problem with driving back to LA late in the afternoon is that you’ll hit traffic in just about every city and small town in San Diego, Orange and LA counties, and the drive on this particular day was more grueling than usual. However, ProPilot made the trek tolerable. It was a big relief to let the Nissan manage the brakes and throttle as I crawled through these traffic jams. About halfway through this three-and-a-half-hour slog, I realized that ProPilot is actually smoother at braking in traffic than I am. And battling gridlock is really one of the best uses for this or any other autonomous driving system. When it’s engaged, you’ll never have to worry about a panic stop, when the traffic speed suddenly drops to single digits—or a dead stop.

No doubt, ProPilot has some limitations. It’s certainly not a system that you can set and forget on every freeway while humming along at 70 mph. But then again, none of today’s systems should be relied upon in this way. My findings on this road trip confirmed that that perhaps the best use of the tech is in rush hour commuting. ProPilot made me way more patient during the drive and way less irritated afterwards. I’d call that a big success...
Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews ... z5JCTTNO2Z
no condition is permanent

jdcbomb
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Is there a possibility that all vehicles with PP can have software updates to further enhance its capabilities (or just improve them)?
2018 SL - In Service 2019 JUN - 2019 OCT 96.7 SOH
2018 SV - In Service 2019 JAN - Location: Raleigh, NC - 2019 OCT 93.7 SOH
2013 SL - In Service 2013 FEB, Sold 2018 JUN (50,050 mi) - 4 Bars Lost (44,255 mi)

LeftieBiker

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:10 pm

jdcbomb wrote:Is there a possibility that all vehicles with PP can have software updates to further enhance its capabilities (or just improve them)?
I don't see why not. Some things, like "Summon," will likely never be possible, but others, like steering assist remaining active while passing turn-offs, and operating at speeds below 30MPH, may well be.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DanCar
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:55 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:... remaining active while passing turn-offs, and operating at speeds below 30MPH, may well be.
Propilot doesn't work when speed drops below 30 mph? The documentation says it is capable of stop and go.
2013 Leaf SL leased 3/10/2013
https://twitter.com/DanielCardena

LeftieBiker

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:28 am

DanCar wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:... remaining active while passing turn-offs, and operating at speeds below 30MPH, may well be.
Propilot doesn't work when speed drops below 30 mph? The documentation says it is capable of stop and go.
Sorry, I meant steering assist, not adaptive cruise control. I'll fix that.
BAFX OBDII Dongle

jdcbomb
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:04 am

In regards to steering assist, I've noticed, if it was active previously, it stays active even if the car slows to almost a stop (way below 30 mph). It will stay on even if crawling in traffic. It then turns off if stopped for more than a couple seconds. It does not appear to reactivate when resuming speed, at least until it reaches past a certain speed and it redetects the lane markings.

I've compared the overall behavior of PP versus a M3 AP, and it does appear the M3 somehow is able to detect very faint lane markings better. But PP is definitely more forgiving when providing steering input and does feel more natural. Either way, if they are able to improve the PP software, that would be great, but I have not read anything indicating they would do so...yet.
2018 SL - In Service 2019 JUN - 2019 OCT 96.7 SOH
2018 SV - In Service 2019 JAN - Location: Raleigh, NC - 2019 OCT 93.7 SOH
2013 SL - In Service 2013 FEB, Sold 2018 JUN (50,050 mi) - 4 Bars Lost (44,255 mi)

LeftieBiker

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:34 am

In regards to steering assist, I've noticed, if it was active previously, it stays active even if the car slows to almost a stop (way below 30 mph). It will stay on even if crawling in traffic. It then turns off if stopped for more than a couple seconds. It does not appear to reactivate when resuming speed, at least until it reaches past a certain speed and it redetects the lane markings.
Huh. I'm guessing I never noticed that because I almost never drive in stop and go traffic, and never with PP on. I do know that it won't turn on below 25MPH, and I'm pretty sure it won't activate below 30MPH. Lately I've been having some trouble with it not wanting to turn steering assist on, even with dry roads. Turning the SA off and then back on, while still driving, usually fixes that.
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”