Apparently the Leaf is not a big seller in the US these days

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coulomb said:
The numbers are down a little, nothing too dramatic. There's just more competition these days.
-
Heh
LEAF sales peaked at ~ 3,000 a month 5 years ago, and have been dropping ever since despite geometric growth in the EV market.

Nissan can change the car name to TOAST

Well, thanks to the slower sales, they are for certain going to have all of next year to sell electrics at the full discount. It would be a good year to bring across the eNV200, and an SUV based electric.

All that said, we really enjoy our Leaf+ and its meeting all of our driving needs, even intra-city.

Tortoisehead77 said:
Nissan is going to have to drop the price once the federal tax credits are used up. Otherwise, it may sell OK overseas, but not in the U.S.

Nissan gets the tax credit and all sorts of other incentives, plus lease deals and dealer discounts. Once the tax credit is gone they will have to give them away. Good thing they use they have an ICE car business to offset with CARB credits.

Tortoisehead77 said:
Nissan is going to have to drop the price once the federal tax credits are used up. Otherwise, it may sell OK overseas, but not in the U.S.
-
That is 6+ years away at the current sales rate

Tortoisehead77 said:

I wonder if LEAF sales are supply-constrained or demand-constrained.

[/quote]

There are a lot of LEAFs sitting on dealer lots in Oregon, with the exception of the e-Plus. It’s my guess that the e-Plus is indeed supply constrained.

Tortoisehead77 said:

There are a lot of LEAFs sitting on dealer lots in Oregon, with the exception of the e-Plus. It’s my guess that the e-Plus is indeed supply constrained.
[/quote]

Agreed. Our local dealer just got three standard range SV’s. But all eplusses are pre sold for 8 months.

I'd say it varies a lot regionally.
I live in a northern suburb of Detroit and there are six (6) new Leafs (leaves?) total available in a 100 mile radius. The four closest all at one dealer in Ann Arbor.

I'm buying a 2017 SV as CPO from a different local Nissan dealer. As far as I can tell Carvana is the only alternate local source and it's a little pricey.

The Leaf has plenty of room for improvement and is probably passed up by many in the existing plug-in community.

But too bad a lot more of the rest of the very large demographic of 2+ vehicle households don’t consider a 40kWh Leaf as their second vehicle with lease or purchase. Can be had for low cost for the years during battery warranty window and would serve the needs of a great many quite well in this role.

That's what we did. We already had a long distance car, an newer outback, and an old truck, so this fit. I don't need to worry about rapid gate as we never really leave town with it.

Its been great - about 1200 gad free miles in about 3 months or less, and those are all short in town miles where even our outback was getting lousy mpg.

Of course there is room for improvement. USBs anyone? lol Not to mention other obvious things.

danrjones said:
That's what we did. We already had a long distance car, an newer outback, and an old truck, so this fit. I don't need to worry about rapid gate as we never really leave town with it.

Its been great - about 1200 gad free miles in about 3 months or less, and those are all short in town miles where even our outback was getting lousy mpg.

Of course there is room for improvement. USBs anyone? lol Not to mention other obvious things.

My experience is similar. My 2019 SL is 8 months old with 13,000 miles and no gas. Someone backed into it last month, forcing me to drive an ICE rental for a week. After a week of engine noise and buying gas, I was thrilled to get the LEAF back from the body shop. My commute is 102 miles round-trip, far too long of a drive to be buying gas. Others buy a LEAF for short in-town trips; I bought mine for a long intercity commute.

I am confused by the "USBs anyone?" comment. Mine came with a USB port that I use for Apple CarPlay. Does yours not have a USB port?

martyscholes said:
danrjones said:

I am confused by the "USBs anyone?" comment. Mine came with a USB port that I use for Apple CarPlay. Does yours not have a USB port?

It needs more than one USB port, standard

Tortoisehead77 said:
martyscholes said:
-
It needs more than one USB port, standard
Is a USB hub difficult ?

Back