Manufacturer Date

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sthbeach

My 2018 Leaf SL has a manufacturer date on the the door of 5/18.
Just a stupid question.......
Does anyone know from that date approximately the earliest a car would be for sale and on the road?

LOL.....no
Just trying to figure out what my car was used for before I bought it. I purchased it in the middle of August and it had 35,000 kms on it. I think it was for sale at least around a month on the lot before I bought it so I guess it couldn't have been on the road more than 1 year which means pretty heavy driving.

All I can say is my car says manufacture of 10/14, and I bought it the same month. It was fairly new to the lot; still had some of the plastic on it.

My guess is that it usually takes nearly a month for a car to go from the last manufacturing step to being for sale on a dealership lot. In some cases it may only take a couple of weeks.

Are the Canadian LEAFs made in the States? Might add a little time, what with The Wall construction. :lol:

LeftieBiker said:
Lake Erie??? That's pretty desperate. OTOH, on some days you can walk across.

They used to have races across the ice. Don't know if that's possible anymore.

On my 2018 SV...

Mfg date: 08/18

Delivery date: Aug. 17, 2018

Why so fast?

Short answer: Political

Longer answer: We had a provincial election last summer, and the province voted for an idiot that immediately pulled out the $14,000.00 government incentive to buy EVs. The deadline was set for September 10, 2018. I already had an order for a LEAF in the queue since April 2018. But with delays from Nissan, it appeared that I was going to miss the incentive deadline. So I cancelled my order.

Apparently, so did thousands of other potential LEAF purchasers in Ontario. This caused such a problem with Nissan Canada that they implored Nissan USA to ramp up production of the 2018 models for this "batch" of orders that were considered dead. When I was contacted by my Nissan dealership a week after I cancelled, they asked if I would reconsider my cancellation if they could guarantee delivery before the incentive deadline. I agreed. A smart decision in retrospect, as I love driving my LEAF.

At that time, the Nissan factory in Smyrna, Tennessee was re-tooling for the 2019 model year. But there must of been a lot of potential loss in sales for Nissan Canada to push for this urgent request to build a bunch more 2018s.

It can take between 5-21 days from assembly line final to dealership lot. It depends on distance from factory to dealership and rail car delay. My ordered Ford F350 took 10 days from Kentucky to Florida. It sat at rail yard for 5 days before being loaded on the rail car. Then 2 days traveling by rail and a few days for transporter to get it to the dealership from final rail location. With the Ford I could track it from order to final assembly to rail car number and track the actual CSX rail car location by the hour.

When I bought my 2015 Leaf it had sat on the dealership lot for almost a year before I bought it. When I bought my 2019 Leaf Plus it was manufactured the same month I bought it. It was on the dealer lot only 2 days before I bought it.

By the way, the SOH on my 2915 was 94% when I bought it after it sat in Florida dealership lit for a year. My 2019 SOH was 99.82% SOH when I got it. 5/14/19. Today, 4 months later it’s 97.69%. I’m losing about 0.5% per month.

NO YOU ARE NOT LOSING 0.5% PER MONTH! Why are people so darn pessimistic and alarmist??

It does not work that way.. The battery state of health, like climate change, is not a linear function. Its like saying that you are dying every day since you are born...

Yes, I would always try to get the "freshest" battery on the lot..

powersurge said:
NO YOU ARE NOT LOSING 0.5% PER MONTH! Why are people so darn pessimistic and alarmist??

It does not work that way.. The battery state of health, like climate change, is not a linear function. Its like saying that you are dying every day since you are born...

Yes, I would always try to get the "freshest" battery on the lot..

Aren't we all actually dying since the day we were born? I plugged LeafSpy into my ass and my body's SOH is 82%.......God, I hope Fenix hurries up their technology!!!! :shock:

Back