A Creative Conversion in Atlanta

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are businesses in the Pacific Northwest and in Sweden that convert classic cars via electric drive motors but using the OEM drivetrain back from the motor. This is the first Leaf drivetrain transplant I've seen, although I know that they are being done. I hope they are using at least 30kwh packs, but the "Guess O Meter" in the Mercedes read 50 miles on about 2/3 of a charge, so I guess that's more likely a 24kwh pack. Thanks for posting it.

LeftieBiker said:
There are businesses in the Pacific Northwest and in Sweden that convert classic cars via electric drive motors but using the OEM drivetrain back from the motor. This is the first Leaf drivetrain transplant I've seen, although I know that they are being done. I hope they are using at least 30kwh packs, but the "Guess O Meter" in the Mercedes read 50 miles on about 2/3 of a charge, so I guess that's more likely a 24kwh pack. Thanks for posting it.

That looks to be late 60's/early 70's Mercedes-Benz W108, 280 SE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W108/W109#Technical_info

In stock form, it had a 3,439 lb curb weight. Given its weight and shape and (probably) conventional tires, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 50 mile range estimate @ 2/3 of a 30 kWh pack.

Amateur implementation of air bags is a little alarming though.

I'm in awe!

1972 Benz 280 SE, 24 kWh pack. Front-wheel-drive, I presume.

The F-450 in his shop also looks like an incredible project--it retains the Ford transfer case and drive axles but uses a Tesla drive unit and batteries.

Back