User avatar
jlv
Moderator
Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:35 am

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:07 pm
I wish this aftermarket would help drive confidence with consumers to buy more of the cars new to keep the cycle going.
IMHO, I suspect the need for an aftermarket battery replacement in 4-6 years isn't going to help drive confidence with consumers to buy more EVs.
ICE free since '18 / over 110K 100% BEV miles since '14
LEAF 2013 SL (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 50K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 33K mi)
8.9kW Solar PV and 2x Powerwall

alozzy
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 pm

I'm thinking that, when the time comes to retire my LEAF, I'll pay someone to part it out (just the valuable items, in particular: pack cells, motor, inverter, head unit), if I can't get a reasonable cost replacement pack.

Based on the cost of some of the individual parts, older LEAFs might actually be worth more for salvage than what one could sell it for as a used car.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6745
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 pm

alozzy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 pm
I'm thinking that, when the time comes to retire my LEAF, I'll pay someone to part it out (just the valuable items, in particular: pack cells, motor, inverter, head unit), if I can't get a reasonable cost replacement pack.

Based on the cost of some of the individual parts, older LEAFs might actually be worth more for salvage than what one could sell it for as a used car.
Sell the expensive parts that break. Perhaps:
Brake master cylinder
OBCharger
Suspension parts

Others ? It would be an interesting list.
I'm actually waiting for the mail to deliver hatch struts, but they only cost $14 each (delivered) because they are a generic part.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. Cal
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr @28k miles. 10/21: 53.4 Ahr @ 40k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018. Sold 11/2021, awaiting Tesla Model Y

alozzy
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:22 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 pm
alozzy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 pm
I'm thinking that, when the time comes to retire my LEAF, I'll pay someone to part it out (just the valuable items, in particular: pack cells, motor, inverter, head unit), if I can't get a reasonable cost replacement pack.

Based on the cost of some of the individual parts, older LEAFs might actually be worth more for salvage than what one could sell it for as a used car.
Sell the expensive parts that break. Perhaps:
Brake master cylinder
OBCharger
Suspension parts

Others ? It would be an interesting list.
I'm actually waiting for the mail to deliver hatch struts, but they only cost $14 each (delivered) because they are a generic part.
Yes, basically anything that sells on eBay for $1000 or more would be fair game :-) I think that list includes about a dozen components in total, including the ones you mentioned. Crazy, but potentially, if one was able to sell all such parts, they could add up to over $10k
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6745
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:09 pm

alozzy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:22 pm
SageBrush wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 pm
alozzy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 pm
I'm thinking that, when the time comes to retire my LEAF, I'll pay someone to part it out (just the valuable items, in particular: pack cells, motor, inverter, head unit), if I can't get a reasonable cost replacement pack.

Based on the cost of some of the individual parts, older LEAFs might actually be worth more for salvage than what one could sell it for as a used car.
Sell the expensive parts that break. Perhaps:
Brake master cylinder
OBCharger
Suspension parts

Others ? It would be an interesting list.
I'm actually waiting for the mail to deliver hatch struts, but they only cost $14 each (delivered) because they are a generic part.
Yes, basically anything that sells on eBay for $1000 or more would be fair game :-) I think that list includes about a dozen components in total, including the ones you mentioned. Crazy, but potentially, if one was able to sell all such parts, they could add up to over $10k
I was trying to shorten the list to the parts that have demand. E.g., I don't think inverters break often enough to bother with since it only takes a few more to be listed on Ebay for the price to tank.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. Cal
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr @28k miles. 10/21: 53.4 Ahr @ 40k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018. Sold 11/2021, awaiting Tesla Model Y

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 17788
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Don't forget the infotainment unit, if it has one.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

goldbrick
Posts: 1496
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:31 pm

Any old car is worth more in parts than whole, even a 20 year old ICE car. The problem is the labor and hassle of removing and selling everything and then disposing of the shell. A junk yard will probably pay $200 tops for a stripped down Leaf. And if they don't buy it, disposal becomes an issue.

alozzy
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:39 am

goldbrick wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:31 pm
Any old car is worth more in parts than whole, even a 20 year old ICE car. The problem is the labor and hassle of removing and selling everything and then disposing of the shell. A junk yard will probably pay $200 tops for a stripped down Leaf. And if they don't buy it, disposal becomes an issue.
Yes, but there are a few parts on the LEAF that are relatively easy to get at but worth a fair amount (like the brake master cylinder that SageBrush mentioned). Most old ICE cars have very few parts that would sell for more than $1000 used.

Each pack module goes for about $100 on eBay. If I remember correctly, the 24 kWh pack has 48 modules. So, that's close to $5k if you could sell them all. There's nothing comparable to that on an ICE.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15877
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:52 am

jlv wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:35 am
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:07 pm
I wish this aftermarket would help drive confidence with consumers to buy more of the cars new to keep the cycle going.
IMHO, I suspect the need for an aftermarket battery replacement in 4-6 years isn't going to help drive confidence with consumers to buy more EVs.
Hmmm, currently the auto aftermarket thrives on people loving their cars but wanting more from them.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 25,047 mi, 92.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15877
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:54 am

alozzy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 pm
I'm thinking that, when the time comes to retire my LEAF, I'll pay someone to part it out (just the valuable items, in particular: pack cells, motor, inverter, head unit), if I can't get a reasonable cost replacement pack.

Based on the cost of some of the individual parts, older LEAFs might actually be worth more for salvage than what one could sell it for as a used car.
I can't think of a car that does not apply to but I can think of a few that it would actually be worth the trouble to part out.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 25,047 mi, 92.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”