Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Re: Nissan Presents Leaf Sound for Pedestrians...

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:42 am

They need to just make it sound like a fairly quiet ICE car. That's what people are attuned to hearing and people with vision disabilities are already trained to be aware when they hear a sound like that. With the sounds I'm hearing in this thread, people are going to be looking around for an aircraft, not a car. And then with each EV manufacturer designing their own sounds, it'll just be confusing.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JasonT

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:56 am

Juiced wrote:When driving an electric car you simply assume that you are "invisible", and should not pass pedestrians from behind or people crossing the street until they acknowledge your presence in some manner. This goes for parking lots as well.
This makes so much sense to me, and further annoys me about this whole sound initiative. I just wonder when it became that car drivers feel they are more important and have the right-of-way over pedestrians? I'm not a large guy, but I know if I'm walking in a crowded public place that I need watch out for kids -- if they run into me it's no big deal, but if I run into them I'll knock them over and possibly hurt them. This same kind of 'common sense' should apply to car drivers too -- when I'm in a car I can kill a person, therefore I should watch out for people and give them the right-of-way. This sound initiative, to me, feels like "I'm in a car, get the @#&!% out of my way"

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:31 am

In reverse, that sound makes me think that the next thing I'll hear will be a voice saying "Auto-Self Destruct Sequence initiated! The ship will detonate in 30 seconds." :lol:
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

Yanquetino

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:37 am

I have chewed on this for a while, but am not going to swallow it. Not yet, at least. Not until I hear more audio from the Tokyo test drives.

You see, those YouTube videos above looked mighty familiar to me. Indeed, I pulled up the ORIGINAL PROMO VIDEO released over 10 months ago, and sure enough: that is their original source. The first video is from 0:10 to 0:20; the second one from about 6:15 to 6:22.

I now strongly suspect that the sound has been superimposed on these clips. Why?

Because in the original video the Leaf was not backing up in the second clip. Whoever made it ran the video backwards! Whoops. I wondered why I didn't see the backup lights go on.

Seems to me that if the clips are fake, the sounds might be also. Just have to wait and "hear" over the next several days.

Bicster
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:39 am

4 8 15 16 23 42
Reserved on April 20, 2010 - Never purchased

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:20 am

Yanquetino wrote:I have chewed on this for a while, but am not going to swallow it. Not yet, at least. Not until I hear more audio from the Tokyo test drives.

You see, those YouTube videos above looked mighty familiar to me. Indeed, I pulled up the ORIGINAL PROMO VIDEO released over 10 months ago, and sure enough: that is their original source. The first video is from 0:10 to 0:20; the second one from about 6:15 to 6:22.

I now strongly suspect that the sound has been superimposed on these clips. Why?

Because in the original video the Leaf was not backing up in the second clip. Whoever made it ran the video backwards! Whoops. I wondered why I didn't see the backup lights go on.

Seems to me that if the clips are fake, the sounds might be also. Just have to wait and "hear" over the next several days.
Excellent catch. The video was posted by gm-volt.com - they are always trying to discredit Leaf by spreading FUD. I guess pushed by GM.

http://gm-volt.com/2010/06/11/nissan-le ... -revealed/
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

Jay

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:28 am

evnow wrote:
Yanquetino wrote:I have chewed on this for a while, but am not going to swallow it. Not yet, at least. Not until I hear more audio from the Tokyo test drives.

Excellent catch. The video was posted by gm-volt.com - they are always trying to discredit Leaf by spreading FUD. I'm sure pushed by GM.

http://gm-volt.com/2010/06/11/nissan-le ... -revealed/

I know Gm-Volt.com has to come at this from a certain angle (heck I do author the occasional piece there...although I think I am fairly even handed), but those have not been faked. Well, I guess you could suggest they have been faked by Nissan, as they used stock footage.

I know because I dug those out myself from Nissan's website, and from there up to youtube.com (because Nissan's site from Japan is wicked slow)

Here is the source link I got them from:
http://www.nissan-newsroom.com/JPN/en/P ... 11-01.html

Bicster

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:30 am

I have nothing but respect for gm-volt.com. Lyle has done a great job.

Bicster

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:33 am

Jay wrote:Here is the source link I got them from:
http://www.nissan-newsroom.com/JPN/en/P ... 11-01.html
Jay, I can't get those videos to work here, but it looks like they have footage of the three different startup sounds for the instrument cluster? If so, please stick it on YouTube!

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:34 am

Bicster wrote:I have nothing but respect for gm-volt.com. Lyle has done a great job.
I used to. Until he actively started spreading FUD about Leaf ... and once edited my comment without as much as mentioning that it has been edited.

The below is not respectable journalism. Anyway, I don't want to take this thread OT. We can start a separate thread on that - and I'll list all the FUD.
Combined with early test reports out of Japan indicating LEAF ranges of as low as 47 miles in some tough driving conditions, will the additional presence of these wacky sounds hinder Nissan’s quest to sell 500,000 LEAFs globally?

You be the judge.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”