EVSE Home Assessment Reports

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer23

The AV electrician just left here. The contractor is Aliso Electric for my area.

General information, word of mouth from the AV guy to my electrician, so take with a grain of salt:
* Mine was only his second assessment. Someone in Newport Coast with a Tesla who's also getting a Leaf was his first appointment this morning.
* EVSE installations will begin October 1
* First Leaf deliveries will be around Dec 21
* My area will be among the first, but he had no real concrete info about San Diego timing

For my electrical installation:
1. My 100A panel will not need to be upgraded. I don't have house air conditioning or a pool or spa and no other large amperage hogs. He was only concerned about physical space on the panel and the physical location of my 30A solar system breakers in terms of heat generation and "nuisance" breaker trips due to heat. We found a 20A breaker that doesn't seem to power anything, so that may be able to be removed and provide extra space.

2. He'll give me a quote for a Southern Cal Edison (SCE) TOU meter, already mentioned by others, that will attach to the grid side of the panel and possibly make things even easier in terms of not disturbing the existing panel. He didn't know about SCE's charges for the additional meter, if any, or any additional monthly charges. He plans to find out in the next few days because he know's he'll be asked about that constantly.

3. My panel is mounted on the exterior wall of my rear bedroom wing and not convenient to the garage. He'll run conduit through an attic and across a patio cover to the garage and then flex conduit inside the garage. The run was estimated at 60 feet, which is longer than the 35 foot run that Nissan has been quoting as standard. I take that to mean extra cost for the materials and labor for the longer run. This may also mean that my City will require a cutoff switch in the garage since the main panel is not in line-of-sight to the EVSE.

4. We discussed running larger (one inch) conduit in place of the 3/4 inch, and/or running larger gauge wire (#6 instead of #8, I think) in case I get an EV with a larger capacity charger in the future. I think he'll quote me on the standard conduit and wiring run, and then a separate quote for larger wire and/or conduit.

5. I expect an email in the next 48 to 72 hours with a pricing estimate, which I'll post here. Not sure if the weekend will extend that timing.

6. I now have a paper image of the AV EVSE taped to my garage wall in the location of the future EVSE. The paper has the words "Your Home Charging Dock" and my home assessment number written on it. Since this is the first concrete evidence that I'm planning to get an EV, it's surprisingly fun to look at.

7. The electrician asked, and I agreed, to take pictures of the installation locations, the area of the conduit run, etc, to help with the estimate. No problem for me, but be aware if you have issues with photos being taken. He said the guy this morning didn't want him to take pictures.

8. As Kei said above, I was also asked if I wanted a quote on a 120v line for Level 1 charging. For me, especially because I'm limited on space on my panel, it would probably just be a GFCI receptacle replacing a standard receptacle in my garage. But there are some technical details that make that a little more complicated. I asked for that to be itemized separately.

-----

See the old evse assment thread here --> http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=594

Boomer23 said:
The AV electrician just left here. The contractor is Aliso Electric for my area.

General information, word of mouth from the AV guy to my electrician, so take with a grain of salt:
* Mine was only his second assessment. Someone in Newport Coast with a Tesla who's also getting a Leaf was his first appointment this morning.
* EVSE installations will begin October 1
* First Leaf deliveries will be around Dec 21
* My area will be among the first, but he had no real concrete info about San Diego timing

For my electrical installation:
1. My 100A panel will not need to be upgraded. I don't have house air conditioning or a pool or spa and no other large amperage hogs. He was only concerned about physical space on the panel and the physical location of my 30A solar system breakers in terms of heat generation and "nuisance" breaker trips due to heat. We found a 20A breaker that doesn't seem to power anything, so that may be able to be removed and provide extra space.

2. He'll give me a quote for a Southern Cal Edison (SCE) TOU meter, already mentioned by others, that will attach to the grid side of the panel and possibly make things even easier in terms of not disturbing the existing panel. He didn't know about SCE's charges for the additional meter, if any, or any additional monthly charges. He plans to find out in the next few days because he know's he'll be asked about that constantly.

3. My panel is mounted on the exterior wall of my rear bedroom wing and not convenient to the garage. He'll run conduit through an attic and across a patio cover to the garage and then flex conduit inside the garage. The run was estimated at 60 feet, which is longer than the 35 foot run that Nissan has been quoting as standard. I take that to mean extra cost for the materials and labor for the longer run. This may also mean that my City will require a cutoff switch in the garage since the main panel is not in line-of-sight to the EVSE.

4. We discussed running larger (one inch) conduit in place of the 3/4 inch, and/or running larger gauge wire (#6 instead of #8, I think) in case I get an EV with a larger capacity charger in the future. I think he'll quote me on the standard conduit and wiring run, and then a separate quote for larger wire and/or conduit.

5. I expect an email in the next 48 to 72 hours with a pricing estimate, which I'll post here. Not sure if the weekend will extend that timing.

6. I now have a paper image of the AV EVSE taped to my garage wall in the location of the future EVSE. The paper has the words "Your Home Charging Dock" and my home assessment number written on it. Since this is the first concrete evidence that I'm planning to get an EV, it's surprisingly fun to look at.

7. The electrician asked, and I agreed, to take pictures of the installation locations, the area of the conduit run, etc, to help with the estimate. No problem for me, but be aware if you have issues with photos being taken. He said the guy this morning didn't want him to take pictures.

8. As Kei said above, I was also asked if I wanted a quote on a 120v line for Level 1 charging. For me, especially because I'm limited on space on my panel, it would probably just be a GFCI receptacle replacing a standard receptacle in my garage. But there are some technical details that make that a little more complicated. I asked for that to be itemized separately.

Go with 1" and 6G wire, it should only cost a little more and you are done for good. Please post the cost on this thread below, not here so it can be compared to others:

EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=668

Boomer23 said:

Did they talk about the length of the charging cord? Chris Hammond over at Leafowner.com is saying they quoted him 15'. I was under the impression (from the initial specs) that the cord was going to be 25'. Edit: apparently the 25' cord is an "option".

Was the type of conductor discussed? I worry about Aluminum wiring for something using that much current for hours a day. Heck, from efficiency alone maybe Copper would pay for itself over time? Or maybe I'm worrying about nothing....

Nubo said:
Was the type of conductor discussed? I worry about Aluminum wiring for something using that much current for hours a day. Heck, from efficiency alone maybe Copper would pay for itself over time? Or maybe I'm worrying about nothing....
No one uses aluminum wiring any more...

drees said:
Nubo said:

Not quite true. Aluminium wiring is still used for Service Entrance drops, copper is just way too expensive.
As long as you "goop" up the conductor at each termination point, there is no issue. Price out 4/0 AL and then 4/0 Copper (200A Service wire), you will be shocked...

mitch672 said:
drees said:
Nubo said:

Not quite true. Aluminium wiring is still used for Service Entrance drops, copper is just way too expensive.
As long as you "goop" up the conductor at each termination point, there is no issue. Price out 4/0 AL and then 4/0 Copper (200A Service wire), you will be shocked...

In my area, there are gangs of copper thiefs. I hope this won't be an issue. When I bought my house 2 years ago (a foreclosure), copper thiefs had already cut all wiring going to major appliances to strip any copper for recycling. We had to rewire most of it.

And what about the charger cable itself? I wonder what type of wiring is in the cable, and do I have to worry about punk kids cutting it wondering if there's copper wiring in there?

@mwalsh: He did mention a 15 foot versus 25 foot charging cable option as a no cost option. I found that surprising. I suppose somebody would want the 15 foot cable, but I'm not sure why if the cost is the same.

We measured 25 feet from the EVSE location in my garage, and I'll be able to charge the car either parked in the garage or on the driveway.

@Nubo: Funny you should mention it, my house was built with aluminum wiring in 1968. I had to have the power panel and all of the outlets and switches pigtailed with copper some years ago. I'm sure that the new wiring to the EVSE will be copper.

Boomer23 said:
@mwalsh: He did mention a 15 foot versus 25 foot charging cable option as a no cost option. I found that surprising. I suppose somebody would want the 15 foot cable, but I'm not sure why if the cost is the same.

Ah, COOL!

Shorter cable? No clue why someone would take 15' over 25'. Unless they were absolutely sure 15' would be all they'd ever need and didn't want to trip over the excess? :?

mitch672 said:
drees said:
Nubo said:
Interesting - last electrician I spoke with said he always uses copper over AL - either way, 4/0 AL != 4/0 Copper in terms of ampacity ratings. 3/0 copper is about the same (still slightly better) compared to 4/0 aluminum.

See: http://www.cerrowire.com/default.aspx?id=46

First report on actual home assessment over on Leaf Owners site
http://www.leafowner.com/

Split the old thread to starting with first reports of assessment (no leafowner wasn't the first).

evnow said:
Split the old thread to starting with first reports of assessment (no leafowner wasn't the first).

You may as well merge it with the thread I started for the EVSE cost install. I wish people on the forum took a bit more time to see there are existing threads so we don't keep starting redundant topics.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=668

It looks like you are planning, and they are willing, to mount the EVSE on the front face of a rack, rather than on a fixed wall.
Right?

Will they use flexible conduit inside the garage, so the EVSE could be "easily" moved (no wiring to deal with, only physically moving the conduit and EVSE), if necessary.

Were they aware of SDG&E's "dual meter adapter" (which could be very good for those wanting a two-meter solution)?

After quite a bit of review I will be changing my E6 meter to an E9A meter on my solar IF I buy a Leaf. This will make more sense if I charge at night.

garygid said:
It looks like you are planning, and they are willing, to mount the EVSE on the front face of a rack, rather than on a fixed wall.
Right?

OP reports that his shelving will be moved and the EVSE placed on the wall.

Other interesting commentary on leafowner.com (join if you're looking for even more Leaf info and/or another way to spend time on the Internets):

EVSE requires a dedicated 40 Amp circuit that uses 12 gauge wire.

mwalsh said:
garygid said:
Right?

We'll have to wait for the OP to comment, but I have a feeling he's expected to move the shelving.

:lol:

The only difference between his location and the one I've chosen is I used the clear plastic boxes so I could see what's inside without having to write on them. Same Costco Gorilla shelves (back when they were USA made, sigh). And I threw my old luggage in the rafters on some plywood sheets nailed to the joists. (Yes, I know...)

Good to see someone else avoiding Earthquake damage prevention.

mwalsh said:
garygid said:
Right?

We'll have to wait for the OP to comment, but I have a feeling he's expected to move the shelving.

I was glad to see that - I was wondering whether I'd have to move things around even for inspection. :)

Back