User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:08 am

I've been waiting 40 days for my EVSE installation quote.

I was one of the first to get an assessment, on July 1. I've had a few conversations with Nissan and AV, with apologies and reassurances from both for the delay. All the while, my account on the Nissan site read "Looking forward to seeing you on July 1." :?

I recently took one of those surveys on the Nissan site "Please rate our web site" and told them I was not impressed. A day or so later, my account now reads "We visited you on 8/10/2010. We'll get back to you with a detailed quote on 72 hours." The visit date is inaccurate by 40 days. We'll see how soon they respond with a quote.

Oh, and the site also says "Amount Charged $-1". So I'm waiting eagerly to see that dollar in the mail soon. :lol:

I'm bracing myself for a quote resembling Cinmar's quote. I don't need trenching, but I have a packed 100 amp panel with 30 amp breakers for my solar PV system and a conduit run of more than 60 feet from the panel to the garage. I also asked the AV contracted electrician to investigate and quote on a separate TOU meter from my utility, SCE. So they might be taking some time to get the details on that from SCE.

Meanwhile, I got an independent quote to just install a new 40 amp 220V breaker and wiring, conduit and a new junction box in the garage. This quote was $1,783.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9659
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:33 am

Boomer23 wrote:Meanwhile, I got an independent quote to just install a new 40 amp 220V breaker and wiring, conduit and a new junction box in the garage. This quote was $1,783.
Bloody hell! That seems a bit pricey. It will be interesting how much AV quotes you under the same circumstances.

For that matter, it will be interesting what they want to charge me too. With the exception of the HOA paperwork, mine has got to be the easiest install going!
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 85,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11480
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:49 am

mwalsh wrote:For that matter, it will be interesting what they want to charge me too. With the exception of the HOA paperwork, mine has got to be the easiest install going!
My guess - $1,000 extra to read & understand the HOA paperwork.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

JasonT
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 am
Location: AZ

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:20 am

Boomer23 wrote:A day or so later, my account now reads "We visited you on 8/10/2010. We'll get back to you with a detailed quote on 72 hours." The visit date is inaccurate by 40 days. We'll see how soon they respond with a quote.

Oh, and the site also says "Amount Charged $-1". So I'm waiting eagerly to see that dollar in the mail soon. :lol:
For what it's worth, I had similar switching, although clearly not as drastic as yours. My date was 7/12, and it used to say that, but at some point it changed and now it claims my date was 7/28. I called Nissan and they claimed their system still showed the 12th, and couldn't explain why the website now thinks I was visited on the 28th. I also have the $-1 charge.

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9659
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 am

JasonT wrote:their system still showed the 12th, and couldn't explain why the website now thinks I was visited on the 28th. I also have the $-1 charge.
Same with me, but mine was changed from my appointment date on the 8th to July 30th. Same with $-1 charge.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 85,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

chris1howell
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:40 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4122
Location: Lancaster, Ca

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 am

I just Recieved my Assesment quote from July 19 for 2376.48. I already have 200A service and just had solar installed. I had the solar installer add a 50 Amp Breaker and RV style 220V 50A outlet for the Electric car (he charged me for the parts only). $1,400 for installation seems outragous, the breaker, conduit and wiring are already in place.

Has anyone considered using the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector? For $1,500 all I would have to do is plug it in...
2011 LEAF: Red SL #04122
2012 Tesla Model S #01530
EVSE: OpenEVSE, 40A L1/L2 -- http://www.openevse.com
PV System: 28 x 210W -> 5.8 kW DC

OpenEVSE Store: http://store.openevse.com

smkettner
Posts: 7412
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:44 am

chris1howell wrote:Has anyone considered using the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector? For $1,500 all I would have to do is plug it in...
I think the AV connector itself is half the Tesla model by reading other posts. I plan to just get the unit and add my own cord if needed. A 50a appliance cord from Home Depot should be fine. I think other wall units will be even less $$ once they all roll out and start competing on price. I am set up similar to you as my home was prewired with a NEMA 14-50R connector, #8 wire, 40a breaker. I would assume the Tesla connector has a rating above the 3.3kw requirement of the Leaf.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

User avatar
LakeLeaf
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:15 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018
Location: South Lake Tahoe, California

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 am

Has anyone else heard grumbling from the independent electricians about the installs?

My understanding is that they are being required to do the assessments without being paid for them. The agreement is that if the assessed customer decides to go ahead, that independent electrician will be offered the job.

In addition to not being paid to do the assessments, I also hear whispers that AV is not going to pay the electrician much to do the install. The payment is going to be something closer to, or below, the standard labor rates for the electrician. If you have a "normal" install that should take a couple of hours - the electrician is only going to be paid a few hundred dollars for it. Apparently AV is looking to pocket the majority of the funds.

So buying your own charger unit and hiring your own electrician seems like it makes everyone happy but AV.

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:27 am

mwalsh wrote:
Boomer23 wrote:Meanwhile, I got an independent quote to just install a new 40 amp 220V breaker and wiring, conduit and a new junction box in the garage. This quote was $1,783.
Bloody hell! That seems a bit pricey. It will be interesting how much AV quotes you under the same circumstances.
I may have been misleading in my post. The $1,783 quote also includes a 70 foot one inch conduit run and wiring, which involves running the conduit through an attic space and across an atrium garden along an exterior wall. It also mentioned using a new quad breaker because of the crowded existing panel.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6748
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Boomer23 wrote:
mwalsh wrote:
Boomer23 wrote:Meanwhile, I got an independent quote to just install a new 40 amp 220V breaker and wiring, conduit and a new junction box in the garage. This quote was $1,783.
Bloody hell! That seems a bit pricey. It will be interesting how much AV quotes you under the same circumstances.
I may have been misleading in my post. The $1,783 quote also includes a 70 foot one inch conduit run and wiring, which involves running the conduit through an attic space and across an atrium garden along an exterior wall. It also mentioned using a new quad breaker because of the crowded existing panel.

I though it might be a long run and that is not so bad, consider it is only $400 more than AV want's to screw the EVSE on my wall, literally.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”