comments on current availability of salvaged 40 and 62 kWh packs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[mod: off-topic conversation split from from a for-sale posting https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=31915]

I have read through this entire post and I have a few comments on current availability of salvaged 40 and 62 kWh packs. I have been looking for months to try to source them. It is almost impossible to find them at any reasonable price. Wreaked cars with the packs I am looking for are selling at premium prices at auctions. The packs sell intermediately at junk yards. For now I bought and installed an 11/12 bar 24kWh salvaged pack from a junk yard to put into one of my 2013 Leafs. There has got to be a huge market that continues to grow for larger capacity packs for older Leafs. I hope some company will feed that demand.

kmcmahan said:
There has got to be a huge market that continues to grow for larger capacity packs for older Leafs. I hope some company will feed that demand.

The reason that market niche hasn't been served yet is that the development costs are too high, as is the cost per kWh of cells/modules. So, the selling price of any such product would be more than a very few buyers would be willing to pay. In other words, no viable market currently exists.

It's going to take a big drop in the cost per kWh before that market becomes viable. One possibility might be an LFP pack, but that's not ideal in cold climates.

Back