2013 Stock Leaf 12 Volt Battery - $0 [Donated to new Home]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightmb

I have a stock 12 volt Lead Acid battery from my 2013 Leaf. It was used for about 1.5 years before I changed it with a 12v Lithium drop-in replacement. Since the Lithium has done just fine for the last few years, I need to find a new home for this battery. I always keep it charged and maintained properly. I took it to a batteries plus store to do the simple load/starting test on it, it passed just fine for 400 CA which is about what it is rated for.

If someone wants a great condition drop-in replacement Lead Acid for your Leaf with plenty of life left and save money verse buying a brand new battery, contact me via PM or reply here if you have questions.

Thanks Everyone! :)

Just curious...what advantage / disadvantage is there for a 12V Lithium vs. the stock Lead-Acid?

jdcbomb said:
Just curious...what advantage / disadvantage is there for a 12V Lithium vs. the stock Lead-Acid?
You can read about my experience here:
http://nissanleaf.guru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6

The main advantages that I've noticed with the lithium:
1) Longer Accessory Run Time
2) Better Cold Weather Tolerance
3) Higher Voltage on the 12 Volt System (lights are brighter)
4) No acid spillage
5) Less Weight

Dis-advantages
1) More Expensive
2) Need to create some custom wires to connect up where the old Lead Acid battery was
3) Have to get some nylon spacers for the battery harness to hold the smaller battery in place properly
4) Wondering what to do with the old Lead Acid battery :D

You can turn it in at any auto parts store that sells 12 volt batteries. If you are buying another one, they have to give you a $5 core refund, but that doesn't apply to just turning one in.

LeftieBiker said:

You can turn it in at any auto parts store that sells 12 volt batteries. If you are buying another one, they have to give you a $5 core refund, but that doesn't apply to just turning one in.

But if that battery is worth $50 it's bad financially and environmentally for him to recycle it instead of selling it to someone that can reuse it.

The best case scenario is he finds a willing buyer and the two find the price point that makes both of them happiest between free and the price of a new battery.

I think he is offering the battery below that price point when he says $40. But he'll probably have to list it on craigslist or otherwise sell it locally because shipping is so expensive for a 30 pound battery.

Another Reason why I don't like the Lead Acid stock battery that much. This is battery acid damage I found underneath a family members stock 12v Leaf battery.
file.php

That's nothing compared to the mess my PT Cruiser's battery had. Both posts were fuzzy with corrosion (the battery is hidden in a battery box). The acid actually ate through the positive lead wire! Fortunately, when that happened, I was in a Wal*Mart parking lot. A few trips inside for the appropriate tools and bits, and I was back on the road. :)

Back