DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Wed May 21, 2014 11:51 pm

gsleaf wrote:Can anyone post before and after pictures of the GFI loop?
Look at the pictures below, you can see the two CTs around the black power wires behind the ethernet cable. Originally, those CTs were located up next to the opaque terminal block, but were moved to their current position and then secured in place with a tie wrap. Would be interesting to see what yours looks like.

ImageImage

gsleaf
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2012

Wed May 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks! I'll get a picture of mine tomorrow.

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 am

FYI, I just fixed a Blink yesterday that was displaying the "fault" error whenever a car was plugged into it. I re-routed the pilot signal wire out from behind the power supply board as it was being stretched tight.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

ddurandd
Delivery Date: 12 Jan 2012

Thu May 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Thank you all for this thread. I got a black screen and could not charge until I pulled the blue connector as shown. That got me on my feet until I could drive to best buy and get a new micro SD card. I was able to download the img file from another thread and bring my charger back to full operation! Nice to have my Blink back in service.

gsleaf
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2012

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting a picture. Since I turned my Blink into a dumb EVSE it has worked without any issues. I'm a little worried about opening it up because I don't want to jinx anything. Once it fails again I'll open it up and take pictures.

smurf12345

Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:33 am

Hi all.

This is a great thread. I'm glad I found it. I fixed my fault issues with the help of your posts. So, I thought I would give back and wrote up a new thread on how to Enable SSH and Root access to the EVSE.

How-To Enable SSH and Root access
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17570

gmuzhik
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi All. I have tried all the remedies posted here and still get the fault-- Pink Screen of Death (PSOD)! I have to power cycle the unit at my breaker panel or unplug and plug the unit back in at the 6-50 outlet. Sometimes it takes two tries to get it to clear. Very annoying! There should be a reset button on the unit to force a hard reset like desktop computers have but the Blink doesn't have one. I came up with a mod that others might like to try: I put a momentary off, push button switch in series with the 240V AC supply to the power supply board. This is a much more convenient way to power cycle the boards. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts? Ingineer: Your thoughts?
San Diego, CA

kevin672
Delivery Date: 24 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1589

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:00 am

gmuzhik wrote:Hi All. I have tried all the remedies posted here and still get the fault-- Pink Screen of Death (PSOD)! I have to power cycle the unit at my breaker panel or unplug and plug the unit back in at the 6-50 outlet. Sometimes it takes two tries to get it to clear. Very annoying! There should be a reset button on the unit to force a hard reset like desktop computers have but the Blink doesn't have one. I came up with a mod that others might like to try: I put a momentary off, push button switch in series with the 240V AC supply to the power supply board. This is a much more convenient way to power cycle the boards. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts? Ingineer: Your thoughts?
Just do the mods on the first page of this thread and turn your Blink into a dumb EVSE. You'll have to use the car's built in timer, but that'll save you from having to replace your EVSE. A friend of mine recently did this. Blink wanted more than $300 just to look at the thing and gave him the upsell to their new model. I pointed him to this thread and now he's able to charge at home again.

gmuzhik
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Yeah, thanks. Lobotomizing the unit is an option that I will use if needed with the added advantage of lower standby current. I do like having the so called "higher functions" though. I'm on TOU2 in San Diego so I like having the double redundancy with both timers to not accidentally charge at $0.49 per kWh during peak. I'll try my reset switch and if the problem gets worse, I'll try pulling the blue connector from the logic board. Someone on the post called the Blink a "turd" and I couldn't agree more! I would never buy their new unit. It's Clipper Creek for me if I junk the Blink!
San Diego, CA

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Keep in mind that the Blink old units have two problems that could result in unsafe operation.

Some of the REMA cables had bad crimps. They recently sent change to maximum 24 amps due to several meltdown damage to the vehicle incidents. Be very careful using above 3.8 kW. Preferably replace the cable.

Also the power connection block has experienced overheating problems.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p331686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
When technicians were fixing the wiring design problems that caused unreliable operation they discovered signs of overheating on mine and replaced the unit under warranty I think it was August 2012.
I need to inspect the replacement unit to be sure it hasn't developed the same problem.
Probably best to replace the power connection block with something better though.

You really need to know what you are doing to make an old Blink safe for long term use.

I don't think the new owner is going to fix any of these problems and I think it is shameful that they will not.
Why would you buy a new Blink unit from a shameful company?

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Return to “Blink”