braebyrn
Gold Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 024521
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:49 pm

ENIAC wrote:
braebyrn wrote:I removed all crimped connections, soldered the connections, removed and replaced the J1772 cable with a known good working one and still have the red screen. I also again tried to use as a dumb charger, with no luck.
Here's a data point for you. After I performed the lobotomy operation on my Blink, as per the OP instructions, I have a blank screen. Also mine works great now. Having a red screen is curious.
Ok, well, maybe to explain myself better, my blink unit probably would work as a dumb blink unit with or without the screen if the Mean Well switching power supply was working. Now that it is determined that the power supply is bad, I should be able to replace it and the unit would work as a dumb unit also......

braebyrn
Gold Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 024521
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Anyone know how to fix these boards? I swapped this board with my known working unit and it fired right up as a dumb unit and as normal functioning unit.
Image

QueenBee
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062
Location: Bellevue (Seattle), WA

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:46 pm

braebyrn wrote:Anyone know how to fix these boards? I swapped this board with my known working unit and it fired right up as a dumb unit and as normal functioning unit.
So it wasn't the power supply?

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 5068
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:00 am

braebyrn wrote:Anyone know how to fix these boards? I swapped this board with my known working unit and it fired right up as a dumb unit and as normal functioning unit.
Only in a generic fashion. Carefully inspect the board looking for burnt components, caps that have "mushroomed", or loose connections. Past that, you would probably need schematics to debug. I do know that Chris Howell of OpenEVSE fame was working on placing the OpenEVSE guts into the Blink case, using as much of the Blink parts as he could. Of course you would lose much of the existing functionality, but you'd have a working EVSE.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... nk#p303769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The project at the above link was more ambitious, but I'm pretty sure he could tell you how to do a simple conversion now.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

twingo
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm
Delivery Date: 07 May 2011
Location: Escondido, Ca.

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Maybe someone can help me. I was out of town for a few days and when I came home, the display on my Blink unit was blank and the unit was not working at all. I searched this forum, found this thread, and unplugged the two blue wires to create the dumb mode. I plugged the connector into the car, but the blue lights on the dash did not go into their usual sequence which I think means the car is plugged in and ready to charge. I pushed the manual charge button on the dash and nothing happened. What can I conclude from this? Any help is much appreciated.

braebyrn
Gold Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 024521
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:09 am

twingo wrote:Maybe someone can help me. I was out of town for a few days and when I came home, the display on my Blink unit was blank and the unit was not working at all. I searched this forum, found this thread, and unplugged the two blue wires to create the dumb mode. I plugged the connector into the car, but the blue lights on the dash did not go into their usual sequence which I think means the car is plugged in and ready to charge. I pushed the manual charge button on the dash and nothing happened. What can I conclude from this? Any help is much appreciated.
Yep, same as mine. I spoke to a rep at blink who said 43% of that model are defective, and he said it's a matter of when and not if it will stop working.
They do offer to buy it back if you buy one of their new units. Plus they give you a $100. charging credit.

TimLee
Posts: 2811
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:53 am

braebyrn wrote:... I spoke to a rep at blink who said 43% of that model are defective, and he said it's a matter of when and not if it will stop working.
They do offer to buy it back if you buy one of their new units. Plus they give you a $100. charging credit.
Why would anyone buy a new unit from from the new owner of a company that produced a product with a 43% failure rate, that will do nothing about those defects, and is selling the new unit at a net price that can be beaten substantially by several other alternatives :?: :? :? :?:

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

papatonyinsd
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:51 am

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:06 am

I've stumbled on a simpler solution to the dreaded self-test fault. If I simply touch the screen to wake up the unit before plugging it in, the self-test fault doesn't happen. It happened every time just plugging in for months, never since waking it up first.

twingo
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm
Delivery Date: 07 May 2011
Location: Escondido, Ca.

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 am

TimLee wrote:
braebyrn wrote:... I spoke to a rep at blink who said 43% of that model are defective, and he said it's a matter of when and not if it will stop working.
They do offer to buy it back if you buy one of their new units. Plus they give you a $100. charging credit.
Why would anyone buy a new unit from from the new owner of a company that produced a product with a 43% failure rate, that will do nothing about those defects, and is selling the new unit at a net price that can be beaten substantially by several other alternatives :?: :? :? :?:
I had a service call in-place for over 6 weeks now and I finally received a call from someone who said he will call back again to recommend a local technician. Gee thanks! He also mentioned their new model HQ is on-sale for $499 and it includes a $100 "gift card" that can be used against charging fees for 6 months. But I rarely charge on the road so that is pretty worthless. But the main issue is as you said, why would I buy another unit from the same company that provided such horrendous service when there are alternatives?

Turnover
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 410371
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:49 pm

We've been having unusually hot and dry weather here in Vancouver, WA for over a month. I've been getting a self-test fault for the last few week that had become continuous the last two days and no longer resolvable by rebooting.

Reading the Blink installation pamphlets, it appears the self test fault is an alert for a grounding problem.

I have two electric panel grounding rods and both are a few inches apart in soil partially sheltered by the roof overhang. Checking, I found them to be in very dry soil. I dug shallow pits around them, poured in some water, and gave them a few sledge hits. An hour or so later, I did another reboot and at least for now I am up and charging again.
2012 SL:
03/30/16 43,300 mi - 383 QC's & 2467 L1/L2's 79% SOH
2013 SV (#410371) - Purchased 4/25/2016:
4/28/16 18,115 mi- 4 QC's & 705 L1/L2's 97% SOH
2/18/17 28,756 mi- 66.17 AHr, SOH 100%, Hx 101.45% 284 GiDs

Return to “Blink”