sdbonez
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:17 am

Thought I'd add my perspective on this:

The Blink clearly has problems and we know that all EV Project members may be prohibited from cracking the case until the end of their agreement. While previously, I was looking to discard the Blink for a different unit, I'm definitely now looking forward to keeping it and Jan 1st, 2013 :)

I can use Ethernet to get me over the hump until then on the network connectivity side but if the charging unit isn't reliably working for me, I'm definitely going to be complaining loudly. With the mess that this thing is, it's too bad they don't open things up a bit for some community contributions to source. It'd be the fastest road to getting the software side of things fixed at least. Sadly, my Blink has been sitting on my wall dark since 3/30/11. My inspection got signed off on 4/4/11 but I'm still waiting for SDG&E to install the 2nd meter (yes, I've called multiple times)

A couple of side questions:
a) did you find any inappropriately used Open Source? that'd be one way to get them to give up the source.
b) any common antenna connectors that could be easily extended? the fact that they're using powerline adapters when they have a customer with wi-fi problems says tons about their hardware/software expertise
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9
Dash@Delivery 4/8, 7-day on 3/23, Delivered 03/30, Carwings: 'Bonez' VIN#728

whoami

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:18 am

Jimmydreams wrote:I can't wait for the EVP to expire so I can snap off the seal and play with it!!!
Shh...I'll let you in on something. The mechincal design is flawed that allows you to slip that black ring over the "seal" lock.....oops!

sdbonez

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:23 am

sdbonez wrote:A couple of side questions:
a) did you find any inappropriately used Open Source? that'd be one way to get them to give up the source.
b) any common antenna connectors that could be easily extended? the fact that they're using powerline adapters when they have a customer with wi-fi problems says tons about their hardware/software expertise
Never mind on b) - just saw the photo in the other thread :)
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9

DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:30 am

sdbonez wrote:a) did you find any inappropriately used Open Source? that'd be one way to get them to give up the source.
Given that it's Linux based, they are already violating the GPL if they are not making that source code available to those who have received the hardware. Now - that doesn't necessarily entitle you to do whatever you want with the code that they've written...
sdbonez wrote:b) any common antenna connectors that could be easily extended? the fact that they're using powerline adapters when they have a customer with wi-fi problems says tons about their hardware/software expertise
Not sure, but I'd bet that one of the many Linux-based-router forums would provide some insight (dd-wrt anyone?).

syntaxerror

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:38 am

drees wrote:
sdbonez wrote:a) did you find any inappropriately used Open Source? that'd be one way to get them to give up the source.
Given that it's Linux based, they are already violating the GPL if they are not making that source code available to those who have received the hardware. Now - that doesn't necessarily entitle you to do whatever you want with the code that they've written...
I've asked for source and no avail. Can everyone here ask for it? They have a requirement to give it out!!!

sdbonez

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:36 pm

syntaxerror wrote:
drees wrote:
I've asked for source and no avail. Can everyone here ask for it? They have a requirement to give it out!!!
Just because it's on Linux doesn't necessarily mean they're violating GPL...and doesn't mean that they just have to give it out. Generally, any modified/derivative works, once released to the Public or in commercial use (the Blink certainly qualifies), need to be released but there still isn't solid precedence last time I checked on the whole static vs. dynamic linking issue. There's a dispute here on whether the the later requires release under GPL. There's a small note about it on wikipedia here under Linking and Derived Works - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License.

For anything unmodified, obviously, there's no further release required since it's already released elsewhere

There are several entities who go after corporations who are not complying with open source licenses.... the whole Linksys fiasco was one of the more notable ones (which resulted in DD-WRT). This blog has a good overview for anyone interested. http://www.visionmobile.com/blog/2011/0 ... -copyleft/ - one such entity is http://gpl-violations.org/

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:43 pm

whoami wrote:
Jimmydreams wrote:I can't wait for the EVP to expire so I can snap off the seal and play with it!!!
Shh...I'll let you in on something. The mechincal design is flawed that allows you to slip that black ring over the "seal" lock.....oops!
EVIL!!! :twisted:
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

Spies
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:22 pm

whoami wrote:Shh...I'll let you in on something. The mechincal design is flawed that allows you to slip that black ring over the "seal" lock.....oops!
:o :shock: :lol: 8-)
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:56 pm

sdbonez wrote:Just because it's on Linux doesn't necessarily mean they're violating GPL...and doesn't mean that they just have to give it out.
At a minimum they need to provide source for all GPL and LGPL binaries.
sdbonez wrote:Generally, any modified/derivative works, once released to the Public or in commercial use (the Blink certainly qualifies), need to be released but there still isn't solid precedence last time I checked on the whole static vs. dynamic linking issue.
Binaries that are dynamically linked to GPL libraries do have to have their source released. But most libraries are generally licensed under the LGPL which doesn't have that restriction.
sdbonez wrote:For anything unmodified, obviously, there's no further release required since it's already released elsewhere
Yes, they do: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... JustBinary

sdbonez

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:22 pm

drees wrote:
sdbonez wrote:Just because it's on Linux doesn't necessarily mean they're violating GPL...and doesn't mean that they just have to give it out.
At a minimum they need to provide source for all GPL and LGPL binaries.
sdbonez wrote:Generally, any modified/derivative works, once released to the Public or in commercial use (the Blink certainly qualifies), need to be released but there still isn't solid precedence last time I checked on the whole static vs. dynamic linking issue.
Binaries that are dynamically linked to GPL libraries do have to have their source released. But most libraries are generally licensed under the LGPL which doesn't have that restriction.
sdbonez wrote:For anything unmodified, obviously, there's no further release required since it's already released elsewhere
Yes, they do: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... JustBinary
agreed, agreed, and I stand corrected :)

Return to “Blink”