User avatar
Rake
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:34 pm
Delivery Date: 27 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1508
Location: Kent, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Fix for the Blink EVSE!

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Spies wrote: snip ... In the mean time I have just been shutting off power to the unit when I am not charging. Hopefully doing this does not add undue wear and tear to the unit based on its design and perhaps it would be better just to leave the unit powered...
Eventually IMO you could weaken some soldered connections on the boards by heating and cooling, but what WILL wear out is your circuit breaker. They are not "switch rated", meaning they have the duty rating to be reset in the event of a trip, but is never intended to be a "snap switch". If you feel it start to get sloppy or mushy, it needs to be replaced.
~Rake
Leaf: 29 May, Black SL+eTec 31 Jan, #1508
Delivered: 5/27/2011
Prius: 2010 Grey IV
EV Project participant - EVSE installed 4/21

whoami
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:54 pm

While we're on the GPL and source request issue. Can everyone contact Ecotality and ask for the source?

I'm regenerating my own QT build, but I'm really interested in theirs to see the mods. My interest list is as follows:
Linux Kernel 2.6.20
BusyBox
QT (if its open source or licensed)
Python

User avatar
sdbonez
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: San Diego, Ca (San Marcos)

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Did they give you a response back like 'no, sorry'? Are they aware of their obligations?
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9
Dash@Delivery 4/8, 7-day on 3/23, Delivered 03/30, Carwings: 'Bonez' VIN#728

whoami
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 pm

From the support email...they asked their superior and they said "that we would not be releasing the source code."

I wasn't asking for source for the whole EVSE, just the open source components with respect to the GPL.

GroundLoop
Posts: 1725
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:29 pm

whoami wrote:From the support email...they asked their superior and they said "that we would not be releasing the source code."

I wasn't asking for source for the whole EVSE, just the open source components with respect to the GPL.
See if you can get that (the decline) in writing.. email or a letter. EFF loves to chase this stuff down. The BusyBox author (Bruce P) in particular will put with none of it. When faced with a formal assertion by the authors and copyright holders, most companies "see the light".

The GPL is not unclear or flexible about these requirements: If you deliver a product with GPL code in it, you must deliver the source code to the end user.
It seems obvious that portions of the Blink firmware are GPL, and they have no choice in the matter but to deliver source code, with redistribution rights, to the owner.

(ie, you must pass on all the rights you had as a developer)

It's not a matter of "more people" demanding source from Blink, but the right person (EFF, a copyright holder, or someone with an interest in enforcing the GPL) making it clear that compliance with the license is required.

User avatar
sdbonez
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: San Diego, Ca (San Marcos)

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Busybox looks straightforward. http://www.busybox.net/license.html - wonder how they go about proving they're in the Blink, though.
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9
Dash@Delivery 4/8, 7-day on 3/23, Delivered 03/30, Carwings: 'Bonez' VIN#728

User avatar
Spies
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 am
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255
Location: Foster City, CA

Re: Fix for the Blink EVSE!

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Rake wrote:Eventually IMO you could weaken some soldered connections on the boards by heating and cooling, but what WILL wear out is your circuit breaker. They are not "switch rated", meaning they have the duty rating to be reset in the event of a trip, but is never intended to be a "snap switch". If you feel it start to get sloppy or mushy, it needs to be replaced.
Thanks for the tips however the breaker wearing out is not an issue for me since I am using an actual switch. The Blink replaced my old EVSE and this circuit still has an Intermatic 40 amp timer switch on it and I have been using that. The timer was used to charge off peak back when neither the cars nor the EVSE had timers built in.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

User avatar
DaveEV
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6236
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:55 pm

sdbonez wrote:Busybox looks straightforward. http://www.busybox.net/license.html - wonder how they go about proving they're in the Blink, though.
As whoami mentioned in his first post - the entire OS is on a SD flash card. I'm assuming he found evidence of at least the 4 GPL software projects he mentioned (Linux kernel, BusyBox, QT, Python) in his later post. whoami appears to be well versed in Open Source software development. I wonder what his day job is. :)

User avatar
Rake
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:34 pm
Delivery Date: 27 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1508
Location: Kent, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Fix for the Blink EVSE!

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 am

Spies wrote:
Rake wrote:Eventually IMO you could weaken some soldered connections on the boards by heating and cooling, but what WILL wear out is your circuit breaker. They are not "switch rated", meaning they have the duty rating to be reset in the event of a trip, but is never intended to be a "snap switch". If you feel it start to get sloppy or mushy, it needs to be replaced.
Thanks for the tips however the breaker wearing out is not an issue for me since I am using an actual switch. The Blink replaced my old EVSE and this circuit still has an Intermatic 40 amp timer switch on it and I have been using that. The timer was used to charge off peak back when neither the cars nor the EVSE had timers built in.
That's good to hear :)
For other folks, it is possible to have a 2 pole snap switch installed, if that is your wish.
Your friendly union (yes, that was a shameless plug) electrical contractor will fix you right up.
cheers!
~Rake
Leaf: 29 May, Black SL+eTec 31 Jan, #1508
Delivered: 5/27/2011
Prius: 2010 Grey IV
EV Project participant - EVSE installed 4/21

whoami
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:19 am

drees wrote:
sdbonez wrote:Busybox looks straightforward. http://www.busybox.net/license.html - wonder how they go about proving they're in the Blink, though.
As whoami mentioned in his first post - the entire OS is on a SD flash card. I'm assuming he found evidence of at least the 4 GPL software projects he mentioned (Linux kernel, BusyBox, QT, Python) in his later post. whoami appears to be well versed in Open Source software development. I wonder what his day job is. :)
As drees says there is plenty of evidence that BusyBox exists in the Blink. I would be more than happy to provide an SD card image to busybox. This brings me to something else, I have full backups of the SD card for 1.2, 1.3. (just incase). I actually develop on another SD card just to keep things seperate.

You can all guess on my day job but I can confirm one thing I don't work for Ecotality :lol:

Return to “Blink”