User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6246
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Blink 2.1

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:40 pm

DoxyLover wrote:I hope 2.1 is as good.
2.1 has been flawless for me once my SD card was swapped out to get the upgrade. Currently my Blink reports 56 days of uptime. With 1.8 it was lucky to make it a week.

User avatar
DeaneG
Posts: 1110
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:20 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 594
Location: Cupertino, CA

Re: Blink 2.1

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:47 am

DoxyLover wrote:...This unit has been very reliable under 2.0, to the point where I've actually started using the blink timer so I can leave the Leaf on 80% 24-hour for charging elsewhere. I hope 2.1 is as good.
I'd like to do that too. Do you set the Leaf start and end timers to the same time and 80%, and set the blink timer to the middle of the night?
White SL w/L3, 3kWDC Solar PV

grommet
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3612
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: Blink 2.1

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:51 am

That's what I do. Car is 12-12/always set to 80%, and just use the Blink timers to charge off-peak at home. When I need 100%, I hit timer off... or hit charge via the web site or the app.

User avatar
turbo2ltr
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 185
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Blink 2.1

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:07 am

I came home to a locked up blink again. Power cycled and it did the update when it booted. Seemed to come up ok and charged last night so I can't complain too much.
Silver SL-e
Ford F450 Crew Cab Hybrid Conversion

DoxyLover
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:52 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9214
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Blink 2.1

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:34 pm

grommet wrote:That's what I do. Car is 12-12/always set to 80%, and just use the Blink timers to charge off-peak at home. When I need 100%, I hit timer off... or hit charge via the web site or the app.
Indeed, that is what I do.
2011 Brilliant Silver Leaf SL
Reserved, quoted and ordered July 11, 2011
Delivered October 16, 2011 (Na. Plug-In Day)

User avatar
ttweed
Posts: 1090
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:31 am
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317
Location: La Jolla, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Blink 2.1

Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:04 pm

ttweed wrote:My Blink is still on 2.0 as of this morning.

TT
Update:
I checked again this morning and it appears that my Blink updated to 2.1 around Aug 1, according to what I can glean from the log file. The update was totally transparent to me, obviously, since I hadn't even checked the firmware version in a couple weeks, and hadn't noticed any difference in performance. The unit has never failed to charge the car in 16 months of ownership now, and had only one problem where the display crapped out and they brought out a new SD card, which fixed that problem and allowed the update to 2.0 to be received a few months ago. At the same time, they discovered burnt insulation on one of the contactor power wires and replaced it, but it has been chugging along ever since with no further problems.

TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

User avatar
JPWhite
Gold Member
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:41 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734
Location: Hendersonville TN
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Blink 2.1

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 pm

ttweed wrote:
ttweed wrote:My Blink is still on 2.0 as of this morning.

TT
Update:
I checked again this morning and it appears that my Blink updated to 2.1 around Aug 1, according to what I can glean from the log file. The update was totally transparent to me, obviously, since I hadn't even checked the firmware version in a couple weeks, and hadn't noticed any difference in performance. The unit has never failed to charge the car in 16 months of ownership now, and had only one problem where the display crapped out and they brought out a new SD card, which fixed that problem and allowed the update to 2.0 to be received a few months ago. At the same time, they discovered burnt insulation on one of the contactor power wires and replaced it, but it has been chugging along ever since with no further problems.

TT
There's a coincidence.

I noticed yesterday that my Unit was updated on Aug 2nd. Looks like Blink are pushoing out updates fast a furious now. Like you the update went through without my knowledge or intervention. Be interesting to see how stable this software is. 2.0 was good and I see others claiming 2.1 is better.

In the 13 months I've had my unit I've not had a single problem out of it (other than some of the flaky firmware), never missed a charge ever.

JP
--
JP White
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com
2011 Blue SL-e, 132,400 Miles.
Lost 5 Capacity bars
7/18/13 (29,206), 8/25/14 (51,728), 7/12/15 (71.108), 5/12/16 (88,362), 10/17/16 (96,532)
New Battery 12/3/16 (98,956)
2018 Model 3 20,000 Miles.

dandrewk
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 11:16 am
Delivery Date: 19 May 2012
Leaf Number: 018580
Location: San Rafael, CA

Re: Blink 2.1

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:12 pm

After a couple of months with Blink, I am suddenly getting self-test failures. Never got them before, and I think it started around the time the 2.1 update was pushed to my Blink - about 3 weeks ago.

Here's what happens: I drive home, plug the Leaf in, it's on a timer so usually it clicks a few times and then goes into standby mode. All is well. But now, every two or three times, instead of going into standby the Blink alarm sounds and I get the "orange screen of death". It instructs me to touch the screen to reset, but after a few seconds I get the self test failure again. The only way out of it is unplugging/plugging the unit and redoing the screen calibration, etc. This always works, but is time consuming and annoying. Note - it's never failed to charge (knock on wood) and otherwise never given any problems.

I will be calling Blink his week, but has anyone else experienced this?

91040
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:36 pm
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Blink 2.1

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:50 pm

After you plug the unit back in- Do not touch the screen. It will eventually revert to its previous settings. Saves some of the frustration. Sometimes, I have have to power cycle it up to 3 or 4 times to get it functioning.

drees posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 38#p218712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drees wrote:According to the tech who replaced my SD card to get it updated to 2.0 (and then 2.1), this is a common issue with older units which have been upgraded to 2.0. Apparently the ground-fault sensing logic is more sensitive in 2.0+ and the current sensors (CTs) in the older units tended to be placed too close to the junction block causing them to pick up spurious noise which can trigger ground fault false alarms.

A reset will clear the error, but the proper fix is to move the CTs away from the junction block and tie them in place with tie-wraps to hold them in place.

If you're getting this error, call up Blink and have them send out a tech - they should know what to do. They'll either do the above or just replace the unit.
dandrewk wrote:After a couple of months with Blink, I am suddenly getting self-test failures. Never got them before, and I think it started around the time the 2.1 update was pushed to my Blink - about 3 weeks ago.

Here's what happens: I drive home, plug the Leaf in, it's on a timer so usually it clicks a few times and then goes into standby mode. All is well. But now, every two or three times, instead of going into standby the Blink alarm sounds and I get the "orange screen of death". It instructs me to touch the screen to reset, but after a few seconds I get the self test failure again. The only way out of it is unplugging/plugging the unit and redoing the screen calibration, etc. This always works, but is time consuming and annoying. Note - it's never failed to charge (knock on wood) and otherwise never given any problems.

I will be calling Blink his week, but has anyone else experienced this?
1st Capacity Bar loss 30k mi 16mo
2nd- 49k mi 25.5mo 51.5Ah
3rd- 73k mi 36.5mo 46.9Ah
4th- 86.5k mi 43mo 42.6Ah
5th- 101k mi 50.5mo 38.4Ah, end 36.1Ah
New Battery 9/28/15 104k mi 66.1Ah
1st- 160.5k mi 34mo 54Ah
2nd- 184.4k mi 53mo 49Ah

User avatar
JPWhite
Gold Member
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:41 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734
Location: Hendersonville TN
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Blink 2.1

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:00 pm

dandrewk wrote:
I will be calling Blink his week, but has anyone else experienced this?
I think you have it right, give them a call or contact via email. Their customer service is pretty good IMHO.

Whilst we have these units under warranty service is quick and easy. It won't be long before we are out of the EV Project and responsible for paying for repairs (or buying additional coverage). Having a plan B in case the unit fails is smart. Clearly L1 is the backup available to all LEAF drivers, but I prefer Level 2 backup.

I got a pigtail to fit the plug the Blink is using so that I can use my evseupgrade.com upgraded vehicle supplied evse as my level 2 backup.

(Plan C is parking at city hall walking the 1.1 miles home and back again once its ready).
--
JP White
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com
2011 Blue SL-e, 132,400 Miles.
Lost 5 Capacity bars
7/18/13 (29,206), 8/25/14 (51,728), 7/12/15 (71.108), 5/12/16 (88,362), 10/17/16 (96,532)
New Battery 12/3/16 (98,956)
2018 Model 3 20,000 Miles.

Return to “Blink”