iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everybody, soon to be a new Leaf owner here and reading up about all I can learn ahead of delivery time. Does this app work for new leafs and new iPhone running IOS 15? Thanks much for your help in confirming this. Cheers

I’m running it on my phone 13 ProMax running IOS 15.2 beta software and it works fine when connected to my 2022 SV plus.

Hello,

I got the following ODB2 device:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BPC179W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Which had a video review by "Turbo3" showing that it was running with leafspy pro v 1.7.44.9 on IOS.

I have the latest version available on the app store, which is 1.7.38. Which does not support the device.

When will version 1.7.44 (or higher) be released on the app store?

Is there another channel to get the beta/test versions.

Thank you.

I got the one recommended on LeafSpyPro and it works very well. Just not sure if it goes to sleep or not. Not clear on whether this is causing any drain on battery even when the vehicle is switched off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRYMFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would try to return the one you got from Amazon and get one of the above mentioned units.

I will see what Amazon will do.

The main reason I went for it was the following review from Turbo3:

I have updated LeafSpy Pro for iOS to support the Nexas OBDII adapter. The update will be released shortly to the App Store.

The Nexas is one the faster OBDII adapters tested and is recommended for any of my apps running on iOS devices.

I think the issue is that the latest IOSSpy Pro as shown by Turbo3 has not been released on the IOS store for some reason. You could take a chance and wait for it which most likely will add the support for your OBD2 dongle but then again since the last release was 3 years ago there's no telling when this update may end up getting released. Fingers crossed for sooner rather than later.

Yes, that is the frustrating bit.

The listing and included documentation lists LeafSpy on IOS to be supported.

Contacted the seller, and now waiting for their resolution. They tried to claim that my Nissan Leaf or iphone do not support odb2... I re-iterated that their claim that the dongle works with LeafSpy on IOS is false (As I cannot get the test version), so now waiting for a response.

badran said:
Yes, that is the frustrating bit.

The listing and included documentation lists LeafSpy on IOS to be supported.

Contacted the seller, and now waiting for their resolution. They tried to claim that my Nissan Leaf or iphone do not support odb2... I re-iterated that their claim that the dongle works with LeafSpy on IOS is false (As I cannot get the test version), so now waiting for a response.

"They" are technically correct in that the Leaf doesn't support the OBDII protocol; http://www.obdii.com/background.html
but the Leaf utilizes the same 16 pin connector, with some common pins (+12 - pin 16, ground - pin 4), found in all ICEVs as of 1996.

@lorenfb: If the leaf is not support, then what is the point in stating that leafspy is supported.

badran said:
@lorenfb: If the leaf is not support, then what is the point in stating that leafspy is supported.

The LeafSpy app functions perfectly on both my IOS and Android phones, and on my two Leafs with a proper dongle to interface
with the Leafs' 16 pin diagnostic connector. I've been using LeafSpy for over 6 years with no problems. Just follow the recommendation
from LeftieBiker, i.e. BAFX OBDII Dongle.

Additional note: The Leaf's diagnostic connector functions electrically essentially the same as in most all ICEVs, e.g. two CAN buses
with a few serial interfaces. The difference between the LEAF and ICEVs is the protocol used to communicate with the various ECUs
of the vehicle, that's why the particular dongle for use with LeafSpy is critical.

Looks like LEASpy for iOS might need an update for the latest version of iOS, 15.2 It’s immediately crashing for me and I’ve deleted it and redownloaded already.

Does anyone know if the developer of LeafSpyPro (aka Turbo3) is still active in this area? The app has not seen an update on App Store in quite a long while and Turbo3 seems to have last logged on here in August 2021. Wondering what is the future for this most useful and much needed app. Thanks for any insights anyone might have.

OldManCan said:
Does anyone know if the developer of LeafSpyPro (aka Turbo3) is still active in this area?

To answer my own question... I came across this post on the UK forum. Seems like the developer is more active in Android space and has recently released some updates on that platform. IOS users keep fingers crossed.!

https://www.speakev.com/threads/new-leaf-spy-pro.162900/

I’m using Leaf Spy Pro on an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.3 beta 3 and it is working perfectly for me. Just posting this for info reference.

rhinOC said:
I’m using Leaf Spy Pro on an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.3 beta 3 and it is working perfectly for me. Just posting this for info reference.

Ditto on IOS 15.2.1 . It works except the tire pressure function which is not critical. The point of my posts above is to seek information on whether any updates to the app might become available in the future or not as the developer has not been very active for some time..

I have a NexLink Bluetooth 5.0 Diagnostic Scanner that works well with the Car Scanner app running on iOS getting data from a 2014 Nissan Leaf. However, LeafSpy does not appear to automatically find this OBDII scanner and there doesn't appear to be a way to select which Bluetooth device to use. Can anybody help? Might support for this scanner be added to LeafSpy Pro?

QueenBee said:
Looks like LEASpy for iOS might need an update for the latest version of iOS, 15.2 It’s immediately crashing for me and I’ve deleted it and redownloaded already.

Leaf Spy Pro was doing this on my iPhone as well, iOS 15.3.1, but I powered off the iPhone and rebooted and now Leaf Spy Pro will launch again. To power off, hold down both vol up & down and the large button on the right side (forget the name of it) until the power off screen comes up. Slide the power off to the right and the phone will shut down. Wait a minute, then use the same 3 buttons to reboot the phone (shows the apple logo on the screen). Leaf Spy Pro should launch just fine again.

morrisg said:
QueenBee said:

Leaf Spy Pro was doing this on my iPhone as well, iOS 15.3.1, but I powered off the iPhone and rebooted and now Leaf Spy Pro will launch again. To power off, hold down both vol up & down and the large button on the right side (forget the name of it) until the power off screen comes up. Slide the power off to the right and the phone will shut down. Wait a minute, then use the same 3 buttons to reboot the phone (shows the apple logo on the screen). Leaf Spy Pro should launch just fine again.
Restarting procedure for iPhones unfortunately differs significantly depending on the model:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Prior to iPhone X, 11, 12 and 13 (phone w/no home button and with Face ID), it was pretty uniform: press and hold sleep/wake button. Eventually, Apple in iOS added Settings > General > Shut Down but that's useless if the phone is hung or in a very bad state and on version of iOS way before it was added.

Back