User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:22 pm

39 degrees starts at 340
42 degrees starts at 316

GregH
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 26967
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 pm

TickTock wrote:39 degrees starts at 340
42 degrees starts at 316
Doh! Wow, thanks. Will update in first post.
'17 blue Volt Premier w/ACC
'12 SL black Leaf
'11 SL blue Leaf
RAV4-EV 2002-2005
Gen1 & Gen2 EV1 1997-2003
PV 2.4Kw, 10kWh lithium battery SCE TOU-DA

User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:05 am

Jim has his hands full keeping up with the high demand for LEAF app so rather than distract him from that by nagging him to publish his findings I decided to see what I could figure out on my own last night. I was looking at a log from his app and it looks like he found a better way to get the subsequent lines of data. Instead of sending:
  • 0x79b: 0x30 0x01 0x00 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff
for each line of data. You can just send the following soon after getting the first response and the rest of the lines will automatically get received:
  • 0x79b: 0x30 0x00 0x18 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff
I have tested this with CANary and it is working.

User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:10 am

Also, to read tire pressure:
  • Send: 0x745: 0x02 0x21 0x10 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff
    Recv: 0x765: 0x10 d1 d2 d3 d4 d5 d6 d7
    Send: 0x745: 0x30 0x00 0x18 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff
    Recv: 0x765: 0x10 d8 d9 da db dc dd de
Tire pressure_x4 is in d6-d9. Thanks again Jim! This is excellent progress!

sirfergy
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4777

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:17 am

Awesome! Can you detail how he reads true GIDS?

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:49 am

You don't have to go to all that trouble to get tire pressure.

It has always been available on the CAR-CAN. Same with real GIDS. Although with real GIDS there is a limitation. You just need to look more closely at the normal messages.

I only use request messages because I don't have the listen code working yet. Listen would be much easier for you since you already have it in you CAR-CAN log. Just go back and look for it now that you know what it look like.

Jim

sirfergy
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4777

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:01 am

Turbo3 wrote:You don't have to go to all that trouble to get tire pressure.

It has always been available on the CAR-CAN. Same with real GIDS. Although with real GIDS there is a limitation. You just need to look more closely at the normal messages.

I only use request messages because I don't have the listen code working yet. Listen would be much easier for you since you already have it in you CAR-CAN log. Just go back and look for it now that you know what it look like.

Jim
Could you enlighten us? :)

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 am

It should not take GregH, Gary Giddings,TickTock or any of our other CAN experts more than a few minutes of looking at the CAR-CAN traces they have to find them. But if not I will post them later today. I just though they would like a small challenge. Like an Easter Egg hunt. Who can find them first (well second actually).
Last edited by Turbo3 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sirfergy
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4777

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:13 am

Turbo3 wrote:It should not take GregH, Gary Giddings,TickTock or any of our other CAN experts more than a few minutes of looking at the CAR-CAN traces they have to find them. But if not I will post them later today. I just though they would like a small challenge. Like an Easter Egg hunt. Who can find it first.
You're awesome! :mrgreen:

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Active EV-CAN sampling: cell voltages, pack temperatures

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:14 am

Might as well add Odometer to the list of things to look for on the CAR-CAN. It's there too.

Since the battery energy units on the CAR-CAN do not always match the GIDs on the EV-CAN I think we should call them JIDs ;-)

Return to “LEAF CANBus”