bradbissell
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:47 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2013
Leaf Number: 404629
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Not worried personally, but worried for others who want real GIDs and might bust their car, or think they busted their car.

I'm an engineer by trade, so I'm willing to push the envelope for more data. Others might not be.

I'm most interested in what the fault code really means. Someone out there must have the service manual / decoder ring.
Silver/Black 2013 SV Manufactured, Leased March '13, Returned Dec '15
Silver/Dark Ash 2016 Volt LT

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:14 pm

bradbissell wrote:EV Warning Light went out on its own when the tech pulled it into the bay with the Consult machine. They did call Engineering to figure out what happened. The following is the data I have.

Fault Code P312A stored

Performed ESM tests - POS ECV 215-218 No problems - Called Fix - Engineers to get back to dealer.



I'm a little worried my issue is due to the EV-Can /switched 12v modified ELM I just installed. I have the app automatically close after the car turns off via the Setting Profiles app listed earlier in this thread.
Fault Code P312A definition from service manual.
"CAN communication of the EV system CAN connecting unit does not stop for 25.5 seconds or more immediately before the VCM self-shutoff."

Just a guess but the VCM might expect the CAN bus to be idle for 25.5 seconds before "self-shutoff".

When I get listen mode working I will see about adding code to stop the auto polling for battery pack data if the bus is not active.

For now, I would recommend people don't connect to the EV-CAN until I have this implemented or if connected to EV-CAN shut the app down as soon as you turn the car off.

Perhaps Phil can give more details.

JohnOver
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:06 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4232
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains near Hwy 17 & Summit Rd
Contact: Website

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Turbo3 wrote:
JohnOver wrote:I'm not seeing that behavior. It connects and disconnects correctly. My only annoyance is that it turns bluetooth off whenever I get out if the app. Then I lose connection to my headset and have to turn it back on.
The app should only turn bluetooth off if it was off when the app started which means the app turned bluetooth on.

The only other time the app turns bluetooth off is if you have the "On Exit force BT off" checkbox in Settings/System checked.

Ok, just tested with my Kyocera Event and I don't see a problem. Paired with headset which means Bluetooth had to be on. Then made phone call and started and exited app and headset stayed connected.

What phone are you using?
Turbo3, I have a Samsung S4, and the "On Exit force BT off " check box is empty. I do have "Auto Enable Bluetooth" checked. Maybe I should uncheck that and see if the behavior changes.
2011 LEAF (Silver SL+QC) - 6/24/11 (on 2/3/08 reserved an Aptera 2e #372)
AV EVSE, plus Ingineer's 240V upgrade, and a fist full of adapters
Other cars: '05 Honda Accord Hybrid, '96 Honda Odyssey
6.5 kW PV, making ~24 kWh per day (average).

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 pm

JohnOver wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:
JohnOver wrote:I'm not seeing that behavior. It connects and disconnects correctly. My only annoyance is that it turns bluetooth off whenever I get out if the app. Then I lose connection to my headset and have to turn it back on.
The app should only turn bluetooth off if it was off when the app started which means the app turned bluetooth on.

The only other time the app turns bluetooth off is if you have the "On Exit force BT off" checkbox in Settings/System checked.

Ok, just tested with my Kyocera Event and I don't see a problem. Paired with headset which means Bluetooth had to be on. Then made phone call and started and exited app and headset stayed connected.

What phone are you using?
Turbo3, I have a Samsung S4, and the "On Exit force BT off " check box is empty. I do have "Auto Enable Bluetooth" checked. Maybe I should uncheck that and see if the behavior changes.
Before you start the app do you have the Bluetooth icon on the top status line? If so is it white or blue?

tbleakne
Gold Member
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:05 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2400
Location: Claremont, CA

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Tonight I got error on the App something like:

Java error in Main subroutine null pointer fault.
Do you wish to continue yes/no?

I answer no, app exits. I power phone off, on again, restart app, same message.

I have gotten similar Java errors before, but this is the first time restarting didn't fix it.
Kyocera Event phone, ver 25 app, loaded about a week ago.

How do I recover? I assume I should delete App and reload a fresh copy, but I need help doing that in Android.

What causes this behavior and is there anything I should avoid doing to reduce chance of it happening again?
Thanks.
LEAF Ocean Blue SL, "100 % Electric" decals, Delivered June 3, 2011
Sold June 2014 27K miles, 18% capacity loss, 1 bar, 5.0 mi/kWh.
Solar 4.6 KW DC with both string and micro-inverters.

Stoaty
Posts: 4490
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 pm

tbleakne wrote:Tonight I got error on the App something like:

Java error in Main subroutine null pointer fault.
Do you wish to continue yes/no?

I answer no, app exits. I power phone off, on again, restart app, same message.

I have gotten similar Java errors before, but this is the first time restarting didn't fix it.
Kyocera Event phone, ver 25 app, loaded about a week ago.

How do I recover? I assume I should delete App and reload a fresh copy, but I need help doing that in Android.

What causes this behavior and is there anything I should avoid doing to reduce chance of it happening again?
Thanks.
See: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=299510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and scroll down to the post by FairwoodRed
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:06 am

surfingslovak wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:Here is the formula I am using for WHrs: SOC * AHr * constant = Battery WHrs

What are people's suggestions for the constant which would be the average battery voltage. ( I have mine but what do you think it should be?)
Jim, I believe that the constant should be equal or close to a multiple of the nominal cell voltage mentioned on the AESC website. If memory serves, it's 3.70V.

Estimated stored energy = CAP (Ah) x Nominal Cell Voltage x 96 x SOC
why use nominal? if you are querying for the cellpair voltages, you can sum them and use the present pack voltage ( dropping the 96 scalar ). If SOC is tracking Ah, then that should track gids better.
(sorry if I am bumping an old, beat to death, thread, I was lead here from another topic)

FairwoodRed
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Fairwood, WA

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 am

I'm testing a new version of the 12 volt accessory mod. It does look like it is now properly turning off as the LED's on the adapter extinguish and LEAFbatt says that it is waiting on ELM.

But I'm also running into a problem. Whenever LEAFbatt says "waiting on ELM", and I try to exit, it freezes. After a while an error screen will pop up telling me that "Activity Leaf Battery (in application Leaf Battery) is not responding". I have the option to wait or force close, both of which work. I can also successfully use the home button, then go to app manager and force stop the program. By the way, when LEAFbatt says "connected" it exits the app speedily.

Is this an expected behavior at this point? Is this something slated for future improvement?

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 am

tbleakne wrote:Tonight I got error on the App something like:

Java error in Main subroutine null pointer fault.
Do you wish to continue yes/no?

I answer no, app exits. I power phone off, on again, restart app, same message.

I have gotten similar Java errors before, but this is the first time restarting didn't fix it.
Kyocera Event phone, ver 25 app, loaded about a week ago.

How do I recover? I assume I should delete App and reload a fresh copy, but I need help doing that in Android.

What causes this behavior and is there anything I should avoid doing to reduce chance of it happening again?
Thanks.
Anytime you get a Java error you need to fully report it. I need to know the version number, error message including the line number and reason (basically everything you see in the error message).

So in your case I know the problem is in version 0.25 the "Main" routine and is a "null pointer fault" but I have no idea where in Main.

How many other people are getting Java errors and not reporting them?

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:56 am

TickTock wrote:
surfingslovak wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:Here is the formula I am using for WHrs: SOC * AHr * constant = Battery WHrs

What are people's suggestions for the constant which would be the average battery voltage. ( I have mine but what do you think it should be?)
Jim, I believe that the constant should be equal or close to a multiple of the nominal cell voltage mentioned on the AESC website. If memory serves, it's 3.70V.

Estimated stored energy = CAP (Ah) x Nominal Cell Voltage x 96 x SOC
why use nominal? if you are querying for the cellpair voltages, you can sum them and use the present pack voltage ( dropping the 96 scalar ). If SOC is tracking Ah, then that should track gids better.
(sorry if I am bumping an old, beat to death, thread, I was lead here from another topic)
That is not the way AHr ratings works.

Take an example of a new battery with 66 AHr, SOC of 95% and fully charged battery voltage of 394.5 volts. Using your method would give a battery with 66x0.95x394.5 = 24.735 kWh and 'Gids of 309.

AHr rating is always based on nominal voltage. It is a capacity value.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”