OBD II codes?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirfergy

I've been playing around with the Bluetooth ELM 327 OBD II reader, and was curious, what do I need to do to get info about the TPMS?

We do not know.

As far as I know, the LEAF does not respond to any of the standard
OBDII codes, and one generally must avoid issuing them to the LEAF
when the OBD adapter powers on, or as its associated software (meant
for monitoring a normal OBDII smog-producing vehicle) starts execution.

I've always been meaning to plug in my expensive scan-tool into the port on my Leaf and see what it does. Are you saying this could damage something?

The LEAF port is NOT OBDII compatible.
I would suggest NOT trying.

But, if you DO try, do NOT do it while in Ready or while moving.

I believe others have tried, and gotten nothing useful.

Weird that they chose the same connector, especially since OBD II readers can communicate with the LEAF.

You can talk to, and listen to a person who speaks a language
unknown to you, still using the mouth, sound waves, and ears,
but that does not mean that either of you will understand the
other, and there might even be some confusion if some of the
words or sounds are similar in both languages.

ICEs are required to "speak" OBD2, but EVs, because there is
no pollution to control, do nt have the same requirements.

Should they have a common language, yes, just as we should
have on the little rock that we live on. However, over 3000
spoken languages have been identified.

Sorry, Gary

Hi all,

I have read a lot of topics on this forum and I am little bit confused. What I want to do is create
an Android app to get some data from the Nissan Leaf (via ELM327) and upload it to a server of mine.
The data I want is:

traveledDistance
velocity
acceleration
engineRpm
ambientTemperature
consumptionRate
SOC
batteryCurrent
batteryVoltage
batteryResistance
batteryTemperature

as I understand from this topic the known OBDII - PIDs are not compatible with the Leaf.

So is there any .xls file that has the PIDs to get some of this data with the equation to calculate
it from the response?

How the Leaf app garygid created gets this data.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Giannis

Yup. I try to keep all the learnings updated in the spreadsheet below. There are several tabs. One for the EVbus, one for CARcan, one for the 79b/7bb query/response messages, and one that shows the messages and flow between the various busses.

canmsgs

Also, if you haven't already, check out the dedicated LEAF Canbus subforum. You can find all the background and any new discoveries there.

Giannis said:
Hi all,

I have read a lot of topics on this forum and I am little bit confused. What I want to do is create
an Android app to get some data from the Nissan Leaf (via ELM327) and upload it to a server of mine.
The data I want is:

traveledDistance
velocity
acceleration
engineRpm
ambientTemperature
consumptionRate
SOC
batteryCurrent
batteryVoltage
batteryResistance
batteryTemperature

as I understand from this topic the known OBDII - PIDs are not compatible with the Leaf.

So is there any .xls file that has the PIDs to get some of this data with the equation to calculate
it from the response?

How the Leaf app garygid created gets this data.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Giannis

garygid said:
ICEs are required to "speak" OBD2, but EVs, because there is
no pollution to control, do nt have the same requirements.
According to this EPA website:

EPA said:
“The Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 mandated that, beginning with the 1996 model year, all light-duty vehicle and trucks made available for sale outside of the state of California must also be equipped with OBDII. In addition, EPA also requires that medium duty vehicles up to 14,000 pounds must also be equipped with OBD II systems beginning in the 2004 model year”
Do you have anything that says EV’s are exempt from having a OBDII port?

The details of the EPA requirement and how it was adapted to EV's is something that I'm interested in. But I don't have any knowledge other than what I just posted. Anyone else have a source they can quote?

FairwoodRed; the EPA requirements only pertain to pollution creating vehicles. Any emission-less vehicle by definition doesn't fall under the Clean Air Act... But from a manufacturing perspective, it makes sense for Nissan to continue to use the OBD-II hardware, since they're already set up to put that in all their other vehicles. As for having their own codes, manufacturers have been playing that game since the first ECUs came out.

BTW - thanks Gary and Tick-Tock! I'm really interested in getting some control over the data I'm getting from my vehicle and Carwings just sucks. :lol:

Back