User avatar
vrwl
Forum Supporter
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 8597
Location: Northeastern PA/Poconos

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 10:40 am

toasty wrote:Image

how is this for a 2011 w 18k miles?
Pretty good considering I've got 88-89% on my 2011 with less than 7k total miles.
Vicki
2011 Silver SL-Mfg 8/11-Purch 6/12
34000 miles

klapauzius
Posts: 1658
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:19 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0197
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I got this after a 100% charge on the blink:

94.4% SOC
23.0 kWh
287 Gids (102%)

AHr=67.57
CAP=101.98%

on a 2 1/2 year old battery with 18k miles.

Too good to be true? Is there some initial calibration required?

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 4:34 pm

klapauzius wrote:I got this after a 100% charge on the blink:

94.4% SOC
23.0 kWh
287 Gids (102%)

AHr=67.57
CAP=101.98%

on a 2 1/2 year old battery with 18k miles.

Too good to be true? Is there some initial calibration required?
Yes, I would enter 67.57 Ah instead of the default 66.2556 Ah as reference capacity in the preferences:

ImageImage

lencap
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:15 pm
Delivery Date: 04 May 2013
Leaf Number: 406995
Location: Raleigh NC

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Is there a version of this app that runs on the iPhone? I can't find anything similar so far.

klapauzius
Posts: 1658
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:19 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0197
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Where do the AH values and the SOC values come from? Are these computed values or do the come from the car itself?
What about the GIDs? Are the ones reported in this app the same as the GIDs from the GID-meter? Likely not, since a value of 287 seems unreal.....

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 5:50 pm

klapauzius wrote:Where do the AH values and the SOC values come from? Are these computed values or do the come from the car itself?
What about the GIDs? Are the ones reported in this app the same as the GIDs from the GID-meter? Likely not, since a value of 287 seems unreal.....
Gids are simulated, but the SOC and CAP values come straight from the CAN bus. You need to set the reference capacity in the preferences to get more realistic kWh and Gid readings. We cannot be certain, but there is a chance that new LEAFs limit usable capacity to 281 Gids, even though the battery could have higher nominal capacity. There were several new LEAFs, which were well above 66.2556 Ah.

LEAFfan
Posts: 4828
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 5:59 pm

lencap wrote:Is there a version of this app that runs on the iPhone? I can't find anything similar so far.
No, but you don't need to use your own phone. Most of us buy a $40 prepaid Android phone, mount it ($10), buy your modifiable BT OBDC ($18), and your set to go.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

LEAFfan
Posts: 4828
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 6:10 pm

klapauzius wrote:I got this after a 100% charge on the blink:

94.4% SOC
23.0 kWh
287 Gids (102%)

AHr=67.57
CAP=101.98%

on a 2 1/2 year old battery with 18k miles.

Too good to be true? Is there some initial calibration required?
With your location, I'm not surprised. However, your CAP should be calibrated so it reads no higher than 100%.
Mine, with less than 3K miles/3 months reads after a 100% charge:
97% SoC
22 kW h
275 'Gids/97%
63 AH
95% CAP
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

klapauzius
Posts: 1658
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:19 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0197
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 6:26 pm

surfingslovak wrote:
klapauzius wrote:Where do the AH values and the SOC values come from? Are these computed values or do the come from the car itself?
What about the GIDs? Are the ones reported in this app the same as the GIDs from the GID-meter? Likely not, since a value of 287 seems unreal.....
Gids are simulated, but the SOC and CAP values come straight from the CAN bus. You need to set the reference capacity in the preferences to get more realistic kWh and Gid readings. We cannot be certain, but there is a chance that new LEAFs limit usable capacity to 281 Gids, even though the battery could have higher nominal capacity. There were several new LEAFs, which were well above 66.2556 Ah.
Well, all I would care for is the AH value, so if it is indeed 67.57 Ah, that would be terrific.
So there were 2011 Leafs with higher than 66.2556 Ah? My understanding was that there werent GID readings higher than 281?
So how do GIDs and AH (apparently both from the CAN, albeit with different applications...the GID meter would read the CAN-GIDs, right?) reflect capacity then, if they are not the same?
The question is, is the AH reading a more accurate reflection of capacity than the CAN-GIDs? Or is it some fudged number that the car makes up from inaccurate and variable readings? You would think for coulomb counting the car would have to be discharged and charged completely?

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6241
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Discuss data obtained from the LEAF Battery app

Sat May 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Ah readings appear to be directly related to GIDs.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”