EricBayArea
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 am
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Capacity vs Health

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:46 am

I haven't charged to 100% in several months. I'll take all the vitals next time I do. I charge to 65-70% every 2 or 3 days.

It's just sad that the health deteriorated 7-8 points in 10 days during the heat wave. Just not right :evil:
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

User avatar
ttweed
Posts: 1090
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:31 am
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317
Location: La Jolla, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Capacity vs Health

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 am

I have only recently tried the beta Leaf battery app with health status and have recorded the readings to 80% charge and 100% charge on two different days now. The car has not had the latest firmware update yet.

Image

Image

The 80% charge showed 196 'Gids (69.8%) and the 100% charge showed 229 'Gids (81.6%) on the app when first turned on in the morning.

TT
Last edited by ttweed on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Capacity vs Health

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:30 am

My latest, conflicting results... This was after an overnight 100% charge which resulted in 230 Gids and a 95.3% SOC on my Lincomatic 1.3 Gid Meter...

Image
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

JasonA
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 am
Delivery Date: 04 May 2013
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: Capacity vs Health

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:58 am

Do you QC alot? or have abused your pack with high temps? Interesting that yesterday at the meet, looking at Greg's LeafDD on his loaner 13 which I assume was almost new, his pack like mine was almost perfect.

I don't have a QC port, and have been taking excellent care of my pack and the Android app show perfect balancing across the cell almost.

I also have had the latest SW update done. Unless you're getting bad shunt readings, it almost seems like an anomaly.
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
13kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!!
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav"with JdeMO (CHAdeMO)
2015 MS-70D

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Capacity vs Health

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:20 am

Three QCs during the lifetime of the car... No particularly high temperatures... Typical cell imbalance is about 12Mv... 80% charges 95% of the time... Makes me even happier I leased.
JasonA wrote:Do you QC alot? or have abused your pack with high temps? Interesting that yesterday at the meet, looking at Greg's LeafDD on his loaner 13 which I assume was almost new, his pack like mine was almost perfect.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

barsad22
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:16 pm
Delivery Date: 17 Feb 2011
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Capacity vs Health after software upgrade

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:36 pm

I've only taken a few measurements at 80% charge after the upgrade, but I was happy to see that the capacity number went from 91 before the software upgrade to 94 after the software upgrade. I don't know where the extra 3 points came from, but I'll take it... the tech showed me something that said the software upgrade would make battery capacity measurements more accurate. Only 6% degradation after 21,000 miles and 2.5 years is much better than I expected, if these new numbers are to be trusted.

JG
2011 red Nissan Leaf SL L3
Delivered 2/17/11
Aerovironment home charger

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Capacity vs Health after software upgrade

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Experience has shown that the numbers will drift back down to about what they were before the update after about a month or so...
barsad22 wrote:I've only taken a few measurements at 80% charge after the upgrade, but I was happy to see that the capacity number went from 91 before the software upgrade to 94 after the software upgrade. I don't know where the extra 3 points came from, but I'll take it... the tech showed me something that said the software upgrade would make battery capacity measurements more accurate. Only 6% degradation after 21,000 miles and 2.5 years is much better than I expected, if these new numbers are to be trusted.
Last edited by TomT on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Capacity vs Health

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 pm

JasonA wrote: I don't have a QC port, and have been taking excellent care of my pack and the Android app show perfect balancing across the cell almost.
That sounds like a mirror image of my LEAF. I would advise waiting until next summer before forming any opinion about the influence of charging habits and battery care on pack longevity. That said, Tom is a valued member of the secret battery abuser club. There is an invisible thread on the forum, which only members will get to see. Various tips and trick are exchanged there ;-)

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Capacity vs Health

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh, you mean like the secret "fastest to discharge a pack" thread (100% charge, maximum heat, every accessory on, and full throttle until turtle during a Death Valley heat wave)???
surfingslovak wrote:That sounds like a mirror image of my LEAF. I would advise waiting until next summer before forming any opinion about the influence of charging habits and battery care on pack longevity. That said, Tom is a valued member of the secret battery abuser club. There is an invisible thread on the forum, which only members will get to see. Various tips and trick are exchanged there ;-)
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Capacity vs Health

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm

TomT wrote:Oh, you mean like the secret "fastest to discharge a pack" thread (100% charge, maximum heat, every accessory on, and full throttle until turtle during a Death Valley heat wave)???
Yes, that one! Please don't forget the battery tanning sessions in Palm Springs (with four QCs en-route)!

Return to “LEAF CANBus”