ObiQuiet
Delivery Date: 10 Aug 2013

Re: Leaf Spy Lite (previously Leaf Battery App)

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 am

Thank you very much for all the hard work on this!!

BTW, Shunt order came out as 4812 on a new install on a new device. Was that intended?

Also, can you explain what is actually happening when shunts are ON when not charging?

Thank you!

garylai
Delivery Date: 08 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1826

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:16 am

Turbo3,
I am experiencing the same problems as Devin. I ordered a BAFX ELM327 from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-PIC ... dp_product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), installed the Leaf Spy Lite app off Google Play (according to Google Play, I was the #2 person to download it). I tried to pair the ELM327 to my Galaxy Nexus Android phone. It indicated it was paired, but never popped up a window to enter the pairing code. I went into Leaf Spy Lite and selected OBDII as the source, and it would not connect or display data, just keep on reporting "Wait ELM" and then "Bluetooth connection lost." Only the single red light was on, not flashing. I tried about a dozen times, tried restarting the car, tried unplugging and replugging the ELM327. Then I tried with a Nexus 10 tablet a few times and my wife's Motorola Cliq 2. Same result every time. I thought it was a defective ELM327 device as your Leaf Battery Application wiki stated others have gotten this particular ELM327 to work. Anyway I have ordered a different model but am interested if it is on the software side.
2011 Nissan Leaf SL
As of 21 September 2014: 43,488 miles
Lifetime miles/kWh: 4.5
Remaining Battery Capacity: 55.8 AHr (85%)
4.4 kW PV array @ home generating 4,200 kWh/year

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 am

That BAFX is one large expensive adapter.

I use this one from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-V1- ... 460d4ecb10

Is there a number after "Wait ELM"?

For any adapter problem I always need an ELM trace to see what is going on in detail.

garylai

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:32 am

Turbo3 wrote:That BAFX is one large expensive adapter.

I use this one from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-V1- ... 460d4ecb10

Is there a number after "Wait ELM"?

For any adapter problem I always need an ELM trace to see what is going on in detail.
Turbo3,

Thanks. I will order that one too since you can confirm it works. The main reason I went with the BAFX is because it had so many positive ratings on Amazon.

I may be misremembering, but I think it said "Wait ELM 4."

I won't be able to do the ELM trace because I packaged the ELM327 for return, but if it doesn't work with the new adapter I ordered I will do a trace.
2011 Nissan Leaf SL

mkjayakumar
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2012

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 am

I bought the OBD adapter. Given that I only have an iPhone, now can anyone recommend a simple inexpensive Android phone that I buy off of Amazon that will reliably work with this App and tool?

The only utility for this phone would be to run this App and nothing else.

thanks
2011 Leaf, 30K miles, returned after 24 month lease.
Currently leasing 2014 Leaf SV.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:40 am

Devin has sent me his ELM trace and what it says is my app is connected to the Hands-Free Bluetooth port on the Phone not the one connected to the virtual serial port going to the OBDII adapter. So when the app tries to reset the OBDII adapter it gets back hands-free status instead. This of course is not going to work.

There is a never before used option in the app to select which Bluetooth port the app uses. This is set to Port 1 by default.

It will take a little work to find out which port the Phone has assigned to the virtual serial port. Do the following:

Start app and go to the Settings/System Panel. On the right side you will see the Port selector current set to "Port 1". Tap it and change it to the next port. Then EXIT the app.

When you start the app again it should use the new port you selected. Go to the Settings panel and verify the new port number.

Cycle through the port number until the lights start to flash on the OBDII adapter.

I saw one post on the web that seemed to say that Port 3 might be the one when Port 1 is used for Hands-Free. If this is always the case I might be able to add code to automatically make this change. I would need to flash a message that the port is being change please restart app.

So the problem has nothing to do with the BAFX adapter. This is confirmed by the fact that no lights flash when the app sends the reset command out what it thinks is the virtual serial port.

garylai

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:46 am

Turbo3 wrote:Do the following:

Start app and go to the Settings/System Panel. On the right side you will see the Port selector current set to "Port 1". Tap it and change it to the next port. Then EXIT the app.

When you start the app again it should use the new port you selected. Go to the Settings panel and verify the new port number.

Cycle through the port number until the lights start to flash on the OBDII adapter.

I saw one post on the web that seemed to say that Port 3 might be the one when Port 1 is used for Hands-Free. If this is always the case I might be able to add code to automatically make this change. I would need to flash a message that the port is being change please restart app.

So the problem has nothing to do with the BAFX adapter. This is confirmed by the fact that no lights flash when the app sends the reset command out what it thinks is the virtual serial port.
Turbo3,
Thanks. I will open back up the package with the BAFX tonight and try out your suggestion to cycle through different port selections. I might return it anyway even if it works since the one you suggested has a much lower profile. The BAFX is so big that if I leave it connected I will no doubt occasionally kick it and eventually break something.
2011 Nissan Leaf SL

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:58 am

garylai wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:Do the following:

Turbo3,
Thanks. I will open back up the package with the BAFX tonight and try out your suggestion to cycle through different port selections. I might return it anyway even if it works since the one you suggested has a much lower profile. The BAFX is so big that if I leave it connected I will no doubt occasionally kick it and eventually break something.
If what I think is happening is true even the one I suggested should fail since the problem is what port the Phone assigns when Hands-Free is active.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:02 am

mkjayakumar wrote:I bought the OBD adapter. Given that I only have an iPhone, now can anyone recommend a simple inexpensive Android phone that I buy off of Amazon that will reliably work with this App and tool?
Kyocera Event:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24357305?wmls ... 56&veh=sem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently cheaper at Walmart than off Amazon (though it has been seen on Amazon for as little as $39.99 before today).
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 86,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:20 am

mwalsh wrote:
mkjayakumar wrote:I bought the OBD adapter. Given that I only have an iPhone, now can anyone recommend a simple inexpensive Android phone that I buy off of Amazon that will reliably work with this App and tool?
Kyocera Event:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24357305?wmls ... 56&veh=sem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently cheaper at Walmart than off Amazon (though it has been seen on Amazon for as little as $39.99 before today).
+1 I use the Kyocera Event for development.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”